Shift Linkage Maintenance

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

griffi
Basic User

Re: Shift Linkage Maintenance

Post by griffi »

Thanks Steve and Don for the info. Don, thanks for clarifying you were not taking it apart. I continue to learn from this forum.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Don is right. If don't want disassembly it can be lubed from"outside"Personally I would use Castrol chain lube spray 7-8$ at walmart.Contains heavy grease + molybdenum.When you spray it on it is an easy flowing liquid,but in few second it is going to "harden"the soluabel stuff evaporates,grease+molly stays.A perfect lube I use on car hinges,doors,garage doors,etc.It works perfect in any application.Got to relube rearly,let to say once a year.

If you try it once, you will love it

Steve H.
Robert_California
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Robert_California »

well that took more than 10 minutes, lol
but I bet that if I did it again I could do it in 10 minutes.
I had to use two picks to pry those clips out and then away from the ball joint.
It's good to unplug and move aside the black box that control the flapper on our exhaust...it's pretty much in line-of-sight to the top ball joint.
bmw really engineered the hell outta the shift linkage #-o
kbnesbitt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by kbnesbitt »

I just wrapped up the rebuilding of my shift lever, as well as redoing the bushing and washer for the steering damper. If you are one of those riders who hasn't done these maintenance items before, and your bike has a few miles on it, it's a good idea to tend to it. The damper wasn't bad, but the shift mechanism was in need of new washers (one gone, one on its' way out), and the buildup of gunk inside was scary. One hour labour and $25 worth of materials, and everything is back in place. Hopefully, false neutrals will now be a thing of the past...
Ken Nesbitt

2007 R1200R
1973 Honda CB350 (long term project)