CHP leaves BMW, goes back to H-Ds

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Re: CHP leaves BMW, goes back to H-Ds

Post by Bill Stevenson »

A few years ago Motorcycle Consumer News published a two part article on the experience of the Arizona Highway Patrol. The article compared BMW, Honda, and Harley-Davidson using AHP records. The short version was that by far and away the cheapest overall was the Honda ST, followed at a distance by H-D, and BMW R1150RT costing a lot more. BMW costs were particularly affected by failure rates, labor rates, and warranty claims denied. The take away for me was that BMWs tend to be finicky and trouble prone if pushed hard, BMW North America tends to be difficult to work with, and although the bikes performed better than the others overall, the headaches associated with owning a fleet of them were not worth it.

I have over a million miles on BMW motorcycles starting in 1972. I love these bikes, but realistically the foregoing summary reflects my long term experience too. With that said, my R1200R is easily the best bike I have ever owned and I think if a fair comparison of the police version of our bikes were compiled today, the BMW 12 series would compare more favorably.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Re. Harleys
In 1975+-years I was "poisoned"by HD's in my back country(Yugoslavia).These bikes where my dream.I.e. American bike,forever lasting,without any problems on them,perfect bikes.Thats where my thoughts about HDs.After 23 years living in Canada,I could afford an HD.But I don't want it anymore.Young dreams gon forever like a soap bubbles??Easier maintenance compare to BNWs-Possible.Cheeper maintanence-possible.Less money spent on maintenance-possible.Longer lasting?I am not shure.A friend of mine riding a Gold Wing with HD guys,and he says,the HD randomly going in in the shops for repairs,while he is doing oil changes on his bike.If my friend lies,I am lieing to.I don't know what to believe.One think I know for shure,R1200R is built to LAST.Longer than HDs?? May be.But what I learned,R12Rs need periodic maintenance,withouth any MAYOR problem on tham.Is that R1200R legacy?Definitally is. BMW shooting high toward stars,and doing it perfectly well.Just look around yourselfes-Chevrolet Cruse=german Opel 1:1taken over from Opel.Prooven quality/high quality,Sorry Gents,But this is happening.But back to bikes,If you fallow BMWs bike history,these bikes never had a mayor isshue.Have had problems,but with oncoming generations they solved those problems.Today,or mybe tomorrow,becoming (or already)a perfect bike.

Brgrds,Steve H.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Certanly! Just to have to do one thing:going to show you a real world=fuel prices.In USA you can not feel it as mutch here in Canada,but prices are going up.Fuel pricwes up=everything (prices) is up.Scince 96% of goods transported by trucks.Only 4% transported by air/water/rails."If trucks stops-America stops".That is the throught-simple isen't it?? So basically,if transportation expenses are up,bread prices are going up as well.Exemptionally simple and logical.HD as a hughe bike manufacturer,seas the problem,san not sell bikes as well as long time ago.+ Japanies and European competitors.Wait for 3-5 years,and than tell me if I am not right.In long run Iknw,I am right.

Steve H.