Driving on mountain roads

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve H.
Basic User

Driving on mountain roads

Post by Steve H. »

Hi ewerione!

From spring to fall mountine"S"curve riding,what is your preferred rpm range on R12R.Mine is 3000-4000 rpm.My bike pulls like an ox,if I rew it higher.I really do not need higher rpms.I like fast riding in "S"curves,that is why asking you abouth your experience.I am just thinking,it might bee no need for higher rpms.If I am right,but different opinions will do the right think.

Thanks for your inputs
Steve H.
hankth
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Driving on mountain roads

Post by hankth »

I rarely shift at higher than 4500 rpm. Love the torque of the boxer.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

The dealer once told me to take it to the redline at least once on every ride, good to stretch the engine. For normal riding I'm usually in the 4,000 to 5,000 range, in mountain twisty roads (I did a 2000 mile Colorado mountain ride in July) is was more like 5,000 to 6,000 rpm for that extra boost :-) ymmv
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Yes,Catchina,I understand your point. Do not let engine got laisy,sometimes we have to rew it up to know it has to rew all the way to rpm limiter kiks in.You are right at this point.

Thanks,Steve H.
arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Post by arp »

I think I am usually at 3500 to 4500 rpm on my camhead. Based on my experience with a R1200R Hexhead service loaner I would probably run a gear lower and 4500 to 5500 rpm.
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

When I'm riding my own ride it is 3500-4500, utilizing the torque and just enjoying myself. When I'm chasing the fast boys on Hwy 33 though, it's one gear lower and 1000 rpm higher, for extra engine braking into the corner and extra boost out. I probably shouldn't do that though, being a really old guy. OTOH, WTF...
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

In the twisties, I keep the RPM up there. I don't use my brakes so engine braking helps. This also keeps the bike ready like a cat standing on its toes ready to pounce.

Electronic rev limiter is a wonderful thing.

YMMV :lol:

David
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

David R wrote:.... I don't use my brakes so engine braking helps....
David, An interesting choice... why? Good brakes and hard braking make for faster times through corners. Pads and rotors cost hundreds of dollars; an engine costs thousands.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

MTBeemer wrote:
David, An interesting choice... why? Good brakes and hard braking make for faster times through corners. Pads and rotors cost hundreds of dollars; an engine costs thousands.
The difference between a fast rider and an almost fast rider.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

MTBeemer wrote:
My riding time is not great. Five years and 25k miles. However I ride lots winding roads...lots of fun and the best reason for the R.
I like the 4500 to 5000 range because I don't like using my brakes in turns ... I worry about the brakes locking up. I try to use the motor to slow down. Although if I role off the gas to fast the bike sinks into turn. Kinda spooky for me.
I think the abs does not work well when the bike has some lean...something about the circumference of the tire in a turn and the abs system communicating wheel speed.

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

MTBeemer wrote:
I am not going to hurt the engine no matter how much it costs. As long as I stay below the rev limiter, it will be fine. So money, cost or wear is out of the question.

Yes, baking late may make me a little faster, but I just try to carry my speed through the corner. Its not a race. Smooth is good.

Besides, If I am entering a corner in the right gear and right speed, exiting the corner, the RPM and gear will be right where I want them.

I ride fast enough. I have not found a time on the street where I would have to hang off the bike or trail brake and still be in my comfort zone. Yeah, I can drag the pegs on occasion. I am not racing, its just a ride. Not like every curve is HOLY COW GLAD I MADE IT!

I lead groups frequently. If I come to a sharp curve, I flash my brake light for the folks behind me, then fly through the turn. The engine is slowing me down so I can prepare for the curve.

In a car I Negotiate a curve. On the bike I Execute the corner.

My R will do about 95 in third gear. So in the twisties I ride in third gear and enjoy it. Second if the road is really good with tight curves. Think about it, coast down to the speed for the curve in second. Reach the apex and open the throttle up. Second gear going 45 mph WFO? EeeeHhhaaa!

David
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

The engine breaking on the R is so good (12.0:1 compression) that you have to be careful not to lock the rear wheel when backing off the throttle at high RPMs.
IMHO if your not in the top third of the RPM range and on the gas half way through a turn your not riding the bike, your just riding on a bike. I believe we're talking about riding 'fast' on the street and you can't do that by jumping all over the brakes. On some tracks heavy breaking is required on some turns but most of the time it's all throttle.
Naturally IMHO - but what do I know
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Caol
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 574

Post by Caol »

I love this discussion!

It does demonstrate the versatility of the bike and the wide range of riders who ride it! :D

I live at the south end of BC Hwy-3A between Creston and Kootenay Landing, along Kootenay Lake. It is about 80km of twisties and the local Mecca of motorcyclists. The southern half is 80km/h speed limit and the northern half 60km/h as it gets a little narrower, twistier and a higher Winnebago count.

Personally, I'm a smooth/engine braking type rider and make this run in about an hour. Remembering that if you push past 20km/h over the limit the RCMP will nab you! And that if you're 40km/h over the limit you get caught by the "street racing" law which means that your machine is impounded on the spot for a minimum of 7 days. They will see to it you get a ride into town, but that's it. (as well as normal fines/points etc) [-X

On the other hand, if you do get into the scoot & brake mode, you could probably shave another few minutes off. :badgrin:

My habit comes from driving this same road in a 1955 Ford, with a 6-cylinder engine and drum brakes back in the '70s. In that thing you didn't want the brakes to heat up and fade!

But, once you're in Kootenay Landing you've got to wait for the ferry anyway! ;)

Kyle
2007 R1200R black w/pinstripes
Mike Figielski
Lifer

Post by Mike Figielski »

The bike will do either rpm range well, depends on my mood. On really tight stuff or if I really want to move I'll stay a gear lower and rev it. If I am riding 75-80% and moving at a good pace and trying to stay smooth and flow with the road I'll run a gear higher and torque out of the corners. On a recent trip to NC/TN I enjoyed both methods. On the Dragon I reved it to the limiter in 2nd with an occaisional shift up to 3rd for the couple faster straights. The engine braking did the majority of braking for me with the occaisonal need to haul it down quickly for a hairpin. On NC28 I was more in a flowing quick but smooth mode and ran the bike in 3rd and 4th gear just torquing out of corners. The flexability of his motor is awesome!
Mike
Mike Figielski
NJ
94 R1100RS
2007 R1200R
Check Out: http://www.beemerboneyard.com
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

These engines love to be flogged. Rev it up. It is not abuse.

I go by sound and feel, but if I look I am usually between 4k and 6k.

After a hard run I find the bike just runs better at more mundane pacing. Maybe it's an Italian tune up.
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Mike Figielski wrote:The bike will do either rpm range well, depends on my mood. On really tight stuff or if I really want to move I'll stay a gear lower and rev it. If I am riding 75-80% and moving at a good pace and trying to stay smooth and flow with the road I'll run a gear higher and torque out of the corners. On a recent trip to NC/TN I enjoyed both methods. On the Dragon I reved it to the limiter in 2nd with an occaisional shift up to 3rd for the couple faster straights. The engine braking did the majority of braking for me with the occaisonal need to haul it down quickly for a hairpin. On NC28 I was more in a flowing quick but smooth mode and ran the bike in 3rd and 4th gear just torquing out of corners. The flexability of his motor is awesome!
Mike
Exactly. On Deals make her scream.
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Scriber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1127

Post by Scriber »

So how many blippers do we have in this discussion?
2013 R1200R
The meaning of my motorcycle: www.betweenmachine.com
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Thanks for you guys,for your inputs!
All of you just confirmed my thought:this engine runs effortlessly between idling speed and the red line,at any RPM it works "effortlessly"calm.There is no nervousness of engine speed.
Normally I am driving it betveen3000-4500 RPM.Crusing speed on local roads is 90-100 kph(55-60mph)3000-3500rpms.On freeways 120-130kph(75-80mph)4000-4500rpm.On twisties 3000-4500rpm.If someone piss me off i.e.a pickup truck tried to race mee once :badgrin: scince than that guy is wondering where did I disapierd [-o< (4500-6000rpm).
In most cases,using torqe.This boxer has so much torque,it is a crime not to use it.I found the engine amazing willingness to rew at any rpm.Definitly using engine braking as well.

BRGDS to all of you,
Steve H.
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

Scriber wrote:So how many blippers do we have in this discussion?
To not blip is moto abuse!
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
Scriber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1127

Post by Scriber »

ammolab wrote:
Scriber wrote:So how many blippers do we have in this discussion?
To not blip is moto abuse!
Just wondered since a lot of folks rely on engine braking while cornering.
2013 R1200R
The meaning of my motorcycle: www.betweenmachine.com