Long Distance with the R1200R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Sun Ra
Basic User

Long Distance with the R1200R

Post by Sun Ra »

Hi all. I'm looking at returning to motorcycling after a five year absence. My previous bike was a 2001 R1150GS. I actually have two questions. I'm fairly certain that the R1200R is the best bike to suit my needs which is a daily rider with occasional road trips on weekends. Firstly, is there a generally preferred year to look for for used R1200R's? Secondly, could you offer some recommendations on windscreens and iphone mounts for GPS use. Any other recommendations for getting the most out the R on a long trip? By the way I'm 6' tall.

Thanks all
Steve H.
Basic User

Re: Long Distance with the R1200R

Post by Steve H. »

welcome to the forum,Sun Ra!

Best years for r1200r from 2006 to today.Equally good the whole line.For windscreen,there are hundreds of options.Wunderlich,BMW,calscy etc,etc.Wery depend on your normal body position on the bike + your upper thorso length or hight and your needs as well.For longer trips this bike can bee equipped well with accessories,still keeping a naked bike look.
One is for sure you will love it.

BRGDS,Steve H.
Steve in VT
Basic User

Post by Steve in VT »

Greetings from Vermont, Sun Ra.
I'm an aging returnee to motorcycling. I regained my skills on an R65LS, and moved up to my '07 R1200R about 4 years ago. It's been a superb bike for my purposes, mostly back-road running, but some long touring, too. I have never felt that the bike limited me in any way, either in miles, hours in the saddle, or performance. It's a better bike by far than I am a rider, and that's not a bad thing. I have all the hard cases, although for touring I prefer just the saddlebags and a waterproof duffle over the tail. I added SW Motech crash bars and a mudslinger rear fender. The original owner added bar end mirrors and adjustable levers.
I just can't say enough about the good qualities of this ride. Great engine, great brakes, great suspension. The seat is thin, but remarkably comfortable. I'm 5'10" and can flat-foot it easily. Low-end torque means you'll never stall it pulling away from a stop. The gearbox is just candy-dandy.
Okay, I'm rattling on like buckshot in a coffee can, but that's how I feel about my roadster. And as Steve H says, there's lots of options for windshields, etc. Under must-haves, I'd include a Cee Bailey headlight protector.
Steve in Vermont
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Sun Ra wrote:Hi all. I'm looking at returning to motorcycling after a five year absence. My previous bike was a 2001 R1150GS. I actually have two questions. I'm fairly certain that the R1200R is the best bike to suit my needs which is a daily rider with occasional road trips on weekends. Firstly, is there a generally preferred year to look for for used R1200R's? Secondly, could you offer some recommendations on windscreens and iphone mounts for GPS use. Any other recommendations for getting the most out the R on a long trip? By the way I'm 6' tall.

Thanks all
I would look for a 2011+ year model and ram mount for your iPhone/GPS
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
motoracer8
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by motoracer8 »

A R1200R is a great long distance machine, I've done several 500 to 800 mile days with mine.

I use a 18" C Bailey screen on the BMW mount and the OE comfort seat. I use the BMW bags and top box when I need them.
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

I have done a few 2000 mile rides in 6 days. That is all I care to do on any bike.
I recommend the camhead which would be an 11 and up. It depends on your budget, but buy as new as you can. My last bike was an RT. I don't miss the extra weight.

David
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

Longest ride I've taken on my R is from Montana - Arkansas - Ohio - back to MT for a tire change - Fairbanks, AK - Montana. Forget how far it is, somewhere around 8-9000 miles. We've made a similar ride each of the last three summers.

Number one.....Get a good seat. If possible ride to the person making it for you and get fitted. I have a Corbin and it is so-so. If I were buying now I'd be buying a Russell Daylong.

I have a Parabellum Scout Fairing on my bike. It is a small fairing similar to the old R90S style. Has several screen options, gives you a place to mount and protect gadgets, and offers good protection.

If you plan to do much cold weather riding then consider using tank panniers (Aerostitch makes good ones), foot protectors from Wunderlich and hand protectors from any number of sources. With my R set-up with the Scout fairing and these other items I get excellent protection from the elements.

Which bike? First decide if you want a hexhead or camhead version. They are virtually the same except for the valve train. The hexhead is a bit easier to service and you don't need to worry about having the correct shims if a valve adjustment is needed. If you decide on the hexhead then go for the last model year (2010 I think, but confirm), I think they had most of the issues resolved (there are not many with the R). If you decide on the camhead then I don't think the year matters much. You can't go wrong either way.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Post by arp »

I have little experience with long distance days or tours (miles) on the R1200R, but I've done quite a few long days (hours) during weekend excursions. Based on that my thoughts on the R1200R for the occasional long trip:

Ergonomics: I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam and 175lb. With the standard comfort seat (R1200R cam head) I would get cramps in the back of my knee (lower hamstring?) on longer rides. With the high comfort seat I don't have that problem. The cycle-ergo.com website shows the additional 1.25" height of the high comfort seat changes the knee angle from 68 degrees to 74 degrees, about the same as an R1150GS with someone of our proportions. Other than the seat change, I've found the ergos to be fine for long days.

Windscreen: If you search this forum you will find a few threads on windscreens. The conventional wisdom is that success/failure with a given windscreen is highly personal. For me, naked is best. I have no experience with long distance freeway travel, but if I were to head out on a long trip today, I would leave the OEM touring windscreen behind.

Suspension: I think the stock suspension on the R1200R camhead is a bit harsh unless the bike is loaded up. I've found an aftermarket suspension improves comfort and handling. An $$$ upgrade, but one I don't regret at all.

Alex
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
Sun Ra
Basic User

Post by Sun Ra »

I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. It's truly an embarrassment of riches with some of the great suggestions that have been offered. Are there any Arai RX-Q owners here that can comment on how noisy the helmet is or isn't?
scooterme

Post by scooterme »

Sun Ra wrote:... iphone mounts for GPS use. ...
Hey, I am a big fan of my Rokform mount for my iphone, which I too use for GPS etc. They are a stupid price, but very well made... Kinda like the R itself.
ImageImage
Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Post by Bill Stevenson »

Hi Sun Ra,

You must be a jazz fan too. I am a jazz drummer. Anyway, welcome. As others have suggested, you will need to do something about the seat. I use Bill Mayer, who learned from his father, who started the whole custom saddle thing with what is now the Russell Daylong. Anyway, a custom seat can be made that is taller than stock. You want that. I am 6' tall too, and my saddle is about 1.5" higher than stock. I also recently added drop pegs that help a lot. The R-R series are a bit short on leg room for guys our size. The advice to go to the saddle maker is good, but Bill Mayer can work with you using measurements and photos of you sitting on your bike. I have had no trouble doing it long distance and following Bill Mayer's instructions on three different bikes over the years. I use the BMW "Tall" windscreen, which works for me. It keeps the air off my chest, which is all I want. My helmet is an Arai SZ-RAM3, which is open face style, and I need ear plugs for that combination. I would ride my bike without changes from Florida (where I live) to Washington State and back with no second thoughts. Well I might wait for the weather to warm up a bit. Anyway, if something happened to my bike I'd go buy another one without a second thought. These are quite simply the best bikes BMW has ever made.

Bill
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Bill said:
Bill Stevenson wrote:Anyway, if something happened to my bike I'd go buy another one without a second thought. These are quite simply the best bikes BMW has ever made.

Bill
Was at the friendly local BMW dealership on Saturday for a Ducati open house (hoping the Ducati girls would be there, but alas - some old dude brought the new Monster.. but I digress..)

Sitting on the floor was a nice new 2014 White R12R, outside was a 2013 Blue - used, perhaps a demo bike, R12R..

It was difficult to resist buying one of them since they'll be the last of a great bike - as Bill said "simply the best bikes BMW has ever made." but I haven't succeeded in wearing my '07 out yet, and that was my goal when I bought it. I almost never buy new vehicles, I usually let someone else take the up front depreciation hit, but with the current bike, and with a thinking-about-it new one - new would be the way (and was for the '07.)

I expect the replacement to cater more to a different demographic than is riding the current model - and that's OK since we're all getting older, and if BMW Motorrad wants to survive, that's what they have to do, but with the exception of the F800GT - nothing new they've come out with recently appeals to me.

If it only wasn't SO much work moving all the farkles/suspension/wiring/etc from one bike to another..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

Don, I have a friend who is a rancher. He had a horse that was over 30; too old to ride anymore, but my friend could not bring himself to put his old hunting partner down. The horse lived to be 36. Then one day he just laid down and never got back up. For the last several years of the horse's life my friend always kept a steer in the same pasture with the horse, just so the horse would not get lonely. That steer and the horse were nearly always close to each other and the horse seemed to live out his final years in a content manner.

So now you have a reason to buy a second R1200R.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

Strong logic, Kevin. Strong and incontrovertible. Don, you should listen to this man.

I've enjoyed two of the Hex heads ('07 - '10) and they were great bikes. Loved them both. They were both '10's. One with the factory lowered chassis.

Fourteen months ago moved to a '13 Cam head, ('11 +) and I like it even better. I find the engine smoother and more powerful in the low ranges. I prefer the looks of the instrument cluster and the smooth finish on the fork tubes. The seat is way more comfortable. And the bike has proven to be way more stable at parking lot speeds. (DAMHIK). I have no idea why this last point would be true.

I haven't taken any real long trips on any of these bikes, but I have gone out and ridden all day many times and for multiple days at a time. They are as much of a joy to ride back into the barn as they are heading out at sunrise.

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

I have a 2007 R1200R. I have ridden from San Diego to Alaska and now most of the way back; bike is in Seattle area as I had to cut return short due to new grandchild. I'll be going up in May and doing Oregon and Washington before returning to southern California.

Good advice so far on seat....but really the seat answer is the AIRHAWK the latest one is probably the AIRHAWK II. It is around 200 bucks which is twice the older version but has a "pocket" cut out for your man junk and really works. Also it adds at least an inch to seat height which for you, at six feet, you probably need. Don't overinflate it, it doesn't take much air but it really does do the job.

Next as I am intuiting that you haven't bought the bike yet, buy something south of the "camhead". The newer iteration of the R1200R changes up the instruments and the windshield clearance and the best windshield options don't work thereafter. R bikes get a lot of wind bump and you will need the shield. Friends with camheads have not been able to solve the problem. Haven't been following topic for a while so maybe someone has figured it out.

Throttlemeister absolutely.

Best windshield option. Tallest California Science with a "Don C" block. Nothing really works without the block and this combination will not work on the cam head. No clearance.

I actually used a barn door Parabellum shield at the last minute as it had even more shoulder width coverage and I had been disappointed with it but forgot to return within 30 days and it was laying around.....I had never tried it with the "block" with the block....no problem and actually worked great. I will be putting a new California Science on when I get home as I went through so many shield iterations it got scratched. The Cal Sci has a smaller footprint and looks better on the bike.

Givi or factory bags are fine. Keep any top case very light for just living out of in the motel room. Keep weight low by using a dry bag with rok straps to pillion seat. Get a very cheap cover whole bike and hide dry bag etc under at night. Take the good electronics into room with you. If you camp you really have to watch the weight. Compression bags for clothing and u wear from REI.

You need rear suspension. Ohlin or something. Factory will sag too much especially with OEM older R1200R as I am recommending.

AAA motorcycle road assist card. Blue tooth to helmet GPS....get going...John
Sun Ra
Basic User

Post by Sun Ra »

Bill Stevenson wrote:Hi Sun Ra,

You must be a jazz fan too. I am a jazz drummer. Anyway, welcome. As others have suggested, you will need to do something about the seat. I use Bill Mayer, who learned from his father, who started the whole custom saddle thing with what is now the Russell Daylong. Anyway, a custom seat can be made that is taller than stock. You want that. I am 6' tall too, and my saddle is about 1.5" higher than stock. I also recently added drop pegs that help a lot. The R-R series are a bit short on leg room for guys our size. The advice to go to the saddle maker is good, but Bill Mayer can work with you using measurements and photos of you sitting on your bike. I have had no trouble doing it long distance and following Bill Mayer's instructions on three different bikes over the years. I use the BMW "Tall" windscreen, which works for me. It keeps the air off my chest, which is all I want. My helmet is an Arai SZ-RAM3, which is open face style, and I need ear plugs for that combination. I would ride my bike without changes from Florida (where I live) to Washington State and back with no second thoughts. Well I might wait for the weather to warm up a bit. Anyway, if something happened to my bike I'd go buy another one without a second thought. These are quite simply the best bikes BMW has ever made.

Bill

Thanks for noticing the name I'm using. I like to use his name as a reminder to myself just how far music can take the listener, which, in the case of Sun Ra is well off the map and into undiscovered country. Listening to the Arkestra tickles my soul. I admit Ra was an acquired taste though. The first time I heard "Heliocentric Worlds Vol.1" was definitely a WTF moment. It wasn't until I quit trying to process it that I not only learned to enjoy it, but sometimes I just need to hear it.
Sun Ra
Basic User

Post by Sun Ra »

Would someone be kind enough to talk about how they use a smartphone(iPhone here) for GPS. I'm interested in the practical aspects, namely, how to provide power and audio out while maintaining protection from rain. A lot of the solutions I've seen so far aren't integrated. The people who make the case(otter box for instance) don't offer water protection when plugged in to power or audio. I'm planning on getting some Shure SE215-CL plugs. They review well and they're more practical with helmets, so that means at least one cord.

Here's the first interesting one I've found so far:

http://www.twistyride.com/motorcycle-ip ... Index.html
SDMAX2
Basic User

Post by SDMAX2 »

Get a second Trust Deed on your house and buy the Garmin that is the equivalent of the BMW branded Nav IV

Zumo I think, have somebody who knows what they are doing wire it in with the special mount. It will have an output earphone jack, which the Nav IV does not and I think comes with XM Sirius radio, which Nav IV does not and Zumo is same GPS but costs less than NAV IV. Also you can learn how to map with Garmin Base Camp, their new mapping program. Do whole routes not just point to point. Go nuts buy a cheap second Garmin that you take off when it rains and use it to find Starbucks, Gas and motels. Really.

Using a smartphone, I Phone, Android for GPS sucks bc if you've have no internet you got no GPS....also no waterproof....You have to wire this crap directly to the battery posts and not much room. If you are wiring in your phone then you need to take their cigarette lighter DC plug and steal what you need so that you get the step down in voltage to whatever 3 volts plus as opposed to 12 volts which would fry everything, same with the Garmin GPS units.

Lee Parks has earphones that are super for this application as they do not stick out and snag when putting on helmet; go that way; and you can buy your Airhawk seat pad from him as well. Nice people.

I have a friend who took a smart phone case and screwed it to a standard handle bar bracket and then powered it up; he likes it but he's a lot handier than I am; you got to invent that. Leader has brackets for all this stuff.

You buy the bike yet? Buy the bike and fix the windshield then start hanging stuff on it; also you gotta do the bags etc. Hope you live in the east, this will be a nice winter project for you. Best John
SDMAX2
Basic User

Post by SDMAX2 »

PS: Read the topic on ZUMO 350 AND DEAD BATTERY underneath your topic. That is why I said have it done by someone who knows what doing....it's not a simple plug and play.

Also, your GPS has got to talk to your helmet via BLUE TOOTH or you will crack up trying to read the GPS, or trying to listen to the gps lady whilst wearing plugs...BLUE TOOTH.

Have fun. I'm gone, gotta go ride. San Diego man 70 degrees....Sucks to be me. Best. John
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

pps

You are going to potentially save a lot of money by buying earlier than 2010 whenever cam head came out....just get the iteration from 2007 up to different heads whatever they called it...that way you can get the windshield correct. Then you take the THOUSANDS you saved and farkle on.....

Any year, any mileage....they last forever. Guys what own them tend to take care of them....never seen one thrashed. Rock on. Best. John