Questions from a prospective buyer

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

zend
Basic User

Questions from a prospective buyer

Post by zend »

Hi, folks.

I apologize if this is a duplicate post – my previous post didn’t show up for some reason (do posts from new members need to be approved?)
I’m working with a local sales guy on a potential purchase of a ’14 R1200R – black/white with the classic package. I have a few questions I’m hoping you guys can help out with.

The bike obviously comes with ABS. It doesn’t have ASC or ESA. I’m ok without ESA – don’t actually want it. But I would prefer it to have ASC. I’ve read that ASC can be added after market and that it’s a left-hand controls swap plus a software upgrade and/or code unlock. My sales guy says ASC is available only as a factory option. Before I push him on this, do we know whether or not it really can be done aftermarket on a ’14?

The “invoice” I’m being shown has a $295 “On Board Computer” item. Is there actually a computer option on the bike that’s different from what’s included in the MSRP?

The bike already has heated grips and bag mounts. Is there anything else I should be thinking about before I take delivery (comfort, bike protection, etc.)? I’ll buy the OEM hard cases. Think I’ll wait on a windscreen (I’m a mid-40’s guy who will definitely want one, but think it’ll be a Cee Baileys or a, if budget and wife allow, maybe a fairing). Anything else, though?

Any other tips, thoughts, things to think about? I’m relatively new to riding (last summer, just around 3k miles since then) and this will be my first BMW bike.
Thanks and hope to see you more of you.
zend
Basic User

Re: Questions from a prospective buyer

Post by zend »

Rode my new R1200R home this afternoon.

I did add ASC though the part(s) need to be ordered from "out of the country". We'll see what shows up.

Really enjoyed the 25 or so mile ride home - what a fun bike.
tinytrains
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by tinytrains »

Congratulations on the new ride, and welcome to the forum.

The "Computer" is the multi-function display (temp, DTE, MPG, Avg Speed), and is not part of the basic package (at least it didn't used to be). The ESA is nice until it breaks or needs new shocks, then it is big bucks for a small continence. I passed on it as well.

You will enjoy the bike greatly. Post a picture when you get a chance.
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

My 2013 also has the "computer". Thought it was going to be the same as the one on my last bike, K1200S. Not even close. I would not waste my money on that option. Never use anything but the outside temp gauge, and I could figure out if it was warm or cold without it! I would say cancel and spend the money on a nice tank bag or something.
As far as ESA goes, have it and like it. Didn't have it on any other BMW and managed very well. But now I enjoy being able to switch from softer to stiffer as the road changes. Personally never stay with one bike long enough to worry about that system failing. I use to feel that way about electric windows when buying a new truck (it will break)and now think about how I missed out all those years!
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

Welcome zend. Congratulations on the new machine, and welcome to the BMW motorcycle world.
The ABS and ASC functions will be big safety assets for you as a relatively new rider. They both have improved to the point they are not intrusive in most riding situations.
This motorcycle will help you be safer and smoother, so you can enjoy your riding experiencse more. The R1200R has top quality, confidence inspiring brakes. Enjoy them !!
Like 1200bc, I enjoy my ESA option, but it is a personal choice about comfort and convenience, not safety.
I love using the hard cases, and always have a tank bag mounted for quick access to personal items.
I would advise you to get a $3 ABDeckring. The rubber gasket, off the S1000RR, fits on the R1200R and helps keep out moisture from under your fuel cap. It's part number 16117681038.
There are numerous threads about seats, screens, tires and oil. Please post some photos when you can, and enjoy the ride.
zend
Basic User

Post by zend »

Thanks for the welcomes, tips, and encouragement. I'll post pics within the next couple of days but you're just looking at a stock machine for now. Still...it's a pretty one.

Thanks for the tip on the gasket, Clem. Seems like an easy and obvious upgrade given the photos of rusty tanks that people have posted. I live in the Pacific Northwest and rain is unavoidable here - I ordered the part.

If I'd custom ordered this bike I'd probably have ESA thrown in. But this thing was sitting on my dealer's showroom floor unridden, three miles, ready to come home. Adding ASC is a no brainer other than the cost which I think of as a big, one-time insurance premium. I might have passed on the computer though I still don't get if the "Computer" option is a different physical instrument cluster of if it's just a code that unlocks features that should be part of the base package. Whatever. The bike is mine now and I'm more interested in riding it than worrying about it.

The days here are slowly getting longer, the temp is up into the high 40's, just drizzled yesterday and no rain this morning. It's looking good. My sympathies to those of you looking out your windows at ice and snow. Hang in there. It'll get better.
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Congratulations!

Like others here, mine has everything but ESA and at first I felt disappointed, but after a short time I found that replacement shocks of high quality - far and away better than the OEM Showa's - were similar in price to the OEM Showa's and superior in every way to the Showa ESA.

Point being, replace your shocks with high quality shocks one day and you'll be way ahead.

Ohlin, Wilbers, Penske, Hyperpro, Yacugar, all good.

The abdeck ring is another serious upgrade. My bike had 4K on it when I put the ring on, so no rust, but after a rain ride day and a few washings, I had an aquarium in there. I hit the area with a fogging oil after I dried it out - LPS 3. Won't hurt and certainly preventative.

Enjoy your ride.
arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Post by arp »

I think the computer is useful for the temperature readout and the very accurate average MPG readout. Knowing the size of the tank and resetting the average MPG each fill up enables an accurate range prediction, which is important for me.

As for ESA, I would rather have high end (Ohlins, Wilbers, etc.) manually adjustable shocks than mediocre electronically adjustable shocks.

Retrofitting ASC is something I would do if the bike did not come with it. In 24,000 miles I don't know if I have ever triggered the ASC, since I'm not looking down at the instrument cluster at such times that it might kick in. I'm glad I have it though.

As for additions/modifications, I'll start a list:

(1) Hugger/mudsling to keep the rear shock area clean in the Pacific Northwet.
(2) Cylinder head protectors for the inevitable low speed drop. I have a paralever slider too, although I've never dropped on the right.
(3) Side stand foot enlarger.
(4) Tools to repair a flat. It is not that hard on the Classic and the tools fit easily under the seat. I've had one flat so far in 24,000 mi.
(5) ABDeckring ring as previously mentioned.
(6) Ohlins, Wilbers, etc. ... eventually.
(7) Skene Design P3, Hyperlights or similar to augment the rear brake lights.
(8) Proper valve stem caps.
(9) ...
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
Stefan
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Stefan »

Hi zend,

I have an 2014 R1200R white, too. It came with ESA, but no ASC.
You can definitely retrofit the ASC. Not cheap though ;)

One button has to be added, and the SW has to be downloaded and installed. SW download can only be done by a dealer. The dealer gets a one time code from BMW and can download the SW and update the computer.

My dealer ordered the button and the SW, but the ASC SW for the 2014 is obviously not released yet from BMW. Seems they do some updates (improvements?).
Will call my dealer coming week to see if he has any news from BMW.

Hope it helps,
Stefan
2014 R1200R dark white
before: 2007 R1200R silver grey
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Zend,

Congrats on the new bike. If you wish, it's possible to have the bike's software updated to add ASC but not change the switch. Xprof had it done this way a few years ago. Then you don't have to pay for the switch - something like half the total cost - but the ASC is always on and cannot be turned off. It works for him. I would do it as well, but can't: my bike is an earlier '07, made just before the ZFE change that allows ASC to be retrofitted.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
zend
Basic User

Post by zend »

Thanks for the continuing info.

I purchased the bike a couple of days ago and included the ASC retrofit in the deal - this included the part and the unlock. So no more need for debate since I assume they already cashed my check. Now it's just a wait for the parts which they seem to think need to come from Germany.

This thread has been really helpful - I have an ABDeckring and a MudSling enroute. I'm still debating a windscreen. It's really a shame that aren't quick release options on the market. I'd love the flexibility of naked vs. screen without having to play with bolts and/or leave a bracket behind.

Stefan - I'll update this board when I hear something about my ASC parts. We should compare notes if we learn anything.

dbrick - Thanks for the info. "Hello" to Santa Cruz from this Slug from the 80's. :)
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Back atcha, Zend. I'm Stevenson '69. Came right back to SC after grad school.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Scriber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1127

Post by Scriber »

Greetings from a fellow rider from the PNWet, and congratulations on the new bike. I thought we might end up with an early riding season over the Cascades this year, but it's snowing like crazy. Seven inches on the ground in the Methow Valley last week, 37 inches this week. And it's still snowing hard.

I'll keep an eye out for your bike on the N. Cascades Highway once all this snow melts.
2013 R1200R
The meaning of my motorcycle: www.betweenmachine.com
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

Welcome aboard zend. I'm on my third R1200 R and they are great bikes. I would still be on my first but for an edge trap in Ludlow VT a few years back. I would still be on my second but it was a lowered suspension model and not so comfortable for riding. Plus, my new one is blue. It's the best one yet.

I highly recommend Lee Baily's for a windshield - see my how to postings for adjustments, etc.

RKA makes a perfect tank bag for this bike. Mine is the original which survived the edge trap debacle and is still going strong. With a tank bag, water is not so much of a problem for the filler assembly.

Hand guards from a GS can easily be made to fit the roadster. Really help to keep your hands/gloves drier when riding in the rain.

Haven't faced the need to replace shocks yet, so no comments there.

It has been so cold here in New England this winter that I have not been braving the man cave, so my few planned farkles have been on hold. But warmer weather is just around the corner.

Oh yeah, always keep the shiny side up. See you in the wind,

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
zend
Basic User

Post by zend »

Really helpful suggestions here. Thanks again.

dbrick: Stevenson 69?! You must have opened the place. I'm Porter '90. If I find my way down there, I'm going to offer to take you out for a beer and listen to your stories. Don't hold your breath, though, I've been back once in the past 20 years. :)

For fun, here's what on the bike and what's still coming.

Installed:
- ABDeckRing sourced from Bike Bandit (shipping was multiples of the part price).
- Sidestand expander from Wunderlich.
- Extreme inner fender (the ABS part from PUIG) ordered through Wunderlich.
- OEM side cases.

Coming:
- Trophy fairing from Wunderlich. I've put about 250 miles on the bike (that's daily short work commutes and about 120 miles over this past weekend). Wind, rain, and temps in the 30's (F) have me convinced that I want a screen. I'm hoping this fairing does it for me. If not, I'll look into something larger and sell the fairing to someone who lives in a warmer, drier climate.
- ASC through the dealer when the parts arrive from Germany. There's enough ambiguity around this to leave me wondering whether or not this will actually happen.

Thank you guys again - this has been really helpful.
Stefan
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Stefan »

Hi zend,

I know it is an old thread... anyway:
Did you get your ASC in the meantime?
Because mine was available and installed ~2month ago. Including switch. And it works ;-)
2014 R1200R dark white
before: 2007 R1200R silver grey