304 miles on tripmeter..showing 159miles to empty..Now FIXED

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Re: 304 miles on tripmeter and showing 159miles to empty..

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

who needs the keystone pipeline or fracking when we have ammolab! Looks like you have the fabled perpetual motion machine! :D
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:who needs the keystone pipeline or fracking when we have ammolab! Looks like you have the fabled perpetual motion machine! :D
Have I invented the perpetrol motion machine? I just asked my dealer...he said "no you just need a fuel strip like everyone else". DUH!
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
moto-m
Basic User

Post by moto-m »

My 2012 model has exactly the same symptoms as you have described - I zero one of the trips when I re-fuel and ignore the fuel gauge.

Mike
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Hi, Mike,
I think probably everyone does that, but the problem with that technique -- and it's great if this is not a problem for you -- is that mileage varies widely on these bikes from a low in the mid to low 30s to the high 50s mpg. If you''re always riding in nearly the same environment and can know your bike's mileage that well, the odometer is your friend. However, if, as I and many others have mixed riding patterns with unequal parts of real city stop and go, interstate and sometimes country roads, the odometer is way less helpful, though certainly still employed. Throw in cold temps and elevation and the math changes even more. I've needed to fill as early as 145-150 mi on a tank and as long as 250+. It just depends widely. I am one of the fortunate ones who is only on my third fuel strip and it is performing well now for over a year and over 10k miles. My miles to empty serves as a rough guide still. You may know that when your odometer shows 165 miles, it's always time to fill up and you can expect to put in about 4.5 gallons =/- to your usual topped off level. Others around here don't experience that reliability.

When I fill up I still do the math to check on its health. If it works for you that's good, but that technique does not does not work equally well for everyone, sadly. And on long trips my bladder usually stops me before low fuel. #-o

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
moto-m
Basic User

Post by moto-m »

I'm afraid that I grew up on British bikes that didn't have a fuel gauge - although I admit they did have a reserve as long as you had remembered to move the fuel tap in the correct direction when you turned the gas on. I'll look for fuel around 150 - 180 miles even though it sometimes only takes just over half a tank to fill - I'm not interested in squeezing every last drop out of it.

Mike
ammolab
Lifer

Re: 304 miles on tripmeter..showing 159miles to empty..Now F

Post by ammolab »

Went to dealer with 236 miles since fill up and 178 miles to empty showing. New strip installed and MTE dropped to 50. This figure dropped as I rode to the gas station, that was different, and I put in 4.5gal of gas.

Much better!
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe