Fuel Pump recall tidbit

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Fuel Pump recall tidbit

Post by Bill Stevenson »

My dealer told me a bit of news that I thought worth sharing. Apparently there are five (5) different fuel pumps that are affected by this recall. Using the serial number for each bike allows the dealer to order the correct parts. This recall must be quite complex for BMW to execute. I am presuming that there are other fuel pumps that are not affected. Why so many different pumps have been used is anybody's guess.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Fuel Pump recall tidbit

Post by mogu83 »

Like most manufactures they likely purchased from the supplier that could deliver to their specs at the lowest price.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Bill,

I've no doubt that's what the dealer said...but it doesn't seem likely correct.

We know from realoem.com and the Max BMW parts sites that each of the affected bikes has an electric fuel pump. Both these parts lists show a single part number for each model's fuel pump. If there were five possibilities for each model, as the dealer represents, then anyone coming into a BMW parts department to buy a fuel pump (for one of the affected bikes) can't do it until they have the old fuel pump in hand for the parts guy to look at, and the parts fiche would be long and even more complicated.

I think it's much more likely that what was said was not-paying-attention owner-speak: five models were recalled, thus the parts guy needs a specific bike's VIN to order the right pump for that bike. This would be true if there are differences between the pumps on various models, a reasonable conjecture (I haven't checked the part numbers on the recalled bikes) given different tank shapes and fuel line layout. Even in BMW-land, that's much more likely than the use of five different pumps on a single model.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
bmwbob
Basic User

Post by bmwbob »

back before the recall if you found out you had a leak . the fix was to replace the whole
pump assembly (big bucks ) . went i order mind i just ordered online from dealer .didn't
give a serial number just ordered by year make and model . it went in without a problem .
Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Re: Fuel Pump recall tidbit - Follow up

Post by Bill Stevenson »

David had it right. A total of 5 different fuel pumps are involved, but there is only one type of pump for any given model of bike. All of our bikes use the same pump. Mine was done last Saturday, but there was nothing wrong with it anyway. As per the recall, however, the existing fuel pump now sports a metal flange instead of a plastic one.
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

bmwbob wrote:back before the recall if you found out you had a leak . the fix was to replace the whole
pump assembly (big bucks ) . went i order mind i just ordered online from dealer .didn't
give a serial number just ordered by year make and model . it went in without a problem .
If you bike is covered by the recall you can submit a request for reimbursement to BMW for that fuel pump.
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
bmwbob
Basic User

Post by bmwbob »

well i guess the point was trying to make was . when it was on my dime
i had to buy the whole assembly . how its on there dime its just the ring
they are replacing . and about the refund the letter says they may .
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

bmwbob wrote:well i guess the point was trying to make was . when it was on my dime
i had to buy the whole assembly . how its on there dime its just the ring
they are replacing . and about the refund the letter says they may .
Not exactly: if the bushing is cracked sufficiently, they'll replace the pump.
Why not submit a claim for reimbursement for the pump you bought?
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL