crash bar suggestions?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

crash bar suggestions?

Post by xprof »

OK, so I could use some crash bars. Do not ask me how I have suddenly come to realize this. What I want is crash bars that will also comfortably support my legs so as to straighten my knees occasionally during long rides. I'm thinking Motech. Any suggestions?
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Re: crash bar suggestions?

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

I use the SW Motech and yes they allow that. Might also have a look at Ilium works...they have hwy pegs to attach to them, though I have not found then particularly anatomically correct on a friend's 1150RS.

The SW Motechs are not real stiff metal and even with a 0 mph tipover they do bend slightly, still very functional, but they "give."
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

Hepco Becker bars on my 08. They've done their job a few times in tip overs. They do not interfer with any routine maintenance procedures except replacing the alternator belt. I suppose you could put highway pegs on them. No matter what brand you get I recommend you get black, or at least not chrome. If they are called upon to do their job you'll want to be able to touch them up.

I saw a woman with an R12R in Branson, MO last week and she had highway pegs that attached to the valve covers and cover the upper spark plug. They are attached via lugs that fit in the channel where the wire runs and expand to grip the walls of the channel. She claimed they work well and she had many miles with them mounted. Sorry, I do not know the maker.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Agree on black/painted, btdt, unless you're never going to need them.
Those highway pegs , I think , really spread your legs and put you in an awkward seating position.
xprof
Lifer

Post by xprof »

Thanx guys, I agree with all comments. My legs are way too long to fit any highway pegs, and I don't like to have them spread wide, so just resting them on the top of the cylinders works for me. I have ordered the SW Motech crash bars, and as soon as I'm off my crutches I'll try 'em out. Go slow on those slippery concrete stream-crossings! (Just saying...)
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

I too rested my legs on top of cylinders on my 1150. As the r12 arrived w the SW Motechs I can compare. Resting my legs on the SW Motechs is very similar in feel and maybe a little more comfy.
xprof
Lifer

Post by xprof »

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you, my dear Dr. S!
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

xprof wrote:Go slow on those slippery concrete stream-crossings! (Just saying...)
Ho ho ho. Back in maybe 2002, I was riding my R1100RSL up Berryessa-Knoxville Road, heading towards Clearlake. I was by myself. The road more-or-less parallels a stream, and the stream crosses the road via shallow concrete swales in maybe a dozen places. The swales are wet and consequently mossy. I'd just washed the bike. Wanting to keep it clean, I thought I'd minimize spashing of dirty water by going slowly through the swales. Do you see where this is leading?

I went slow, and tumped right over, quite unhurt. No worries, I thought, I'll just put my butt in the seat, grab the low bar, push backwards into the bike and lift it up. Except that because the swale was wet and mossy...it was also extremely slippery. I couldn't get enough traction under my boots to lift the bike. On this road, mid-week as it was, there was a car or two an hour. Maybe.

Eventually, I got the bike up. I learned that there are some things more important than cleanliness. [-X
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

Yes, me too. Ha-Ha. I have gotten in a pinch or two myself when I was alone, and I can sympathize with what you gentlemen are saying.
xprof, mend well and quickly Sir. Hope there are no more surprises like that this year.
Antoine31
Basic User

Post by Antoine31 »

I had Touratech crash bars on my R1200GS. They seemed very sturdy and had an excellent design that looked like they would actually survive a crash and protect the bike. I'm not sure I'll put bars on my brand new R1200R but I like the look of the SW Motech items, even though they might not be as strong as they look. My question: Which of the available bars are the strongest and might survive a crash?
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I have SW Motech(black) on my bike.Very comphy for resting my legs on the longer trip.I didn't try them in bad scence........yet :roll:
Once I "droped"my bike in the garage.That was a slow motion drop,trying tohold the bike upright,but could not hold it's weight after a certain angle.(I should go for some body building :))So,I just put it down.The bike rested on SW Motech,and two wheels nothing else tuched down.I repaired the crush bar paint with a tuchup black .Nothing is visible.

Steve H.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Antoine31 wrote:I had Touratech crash bars on my R1200GS. They seemed very sturdy and had an excellent design that looked like they would actually survive a crash and protect the bike. I'm not sure I'll put bars on my brand new R1200R but I like the look of the SW Motech items, even though they might not be as strong as they look. My question: Which of the available bars are the strongest and might survive a crash?
Here they are installed on my new R as follows:

Like them LOTS!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

angellr wrote:
Antoine31 wrote:I had Touratech crash bars on my R1200GS. They seemed very sturdy and had an excellent design that looked like they would actually survive a crash and protect the bike. I'm not sure I'll put bars on my brand new R1200R but I like the look of the SW Motech items, even though they might not be as strong as they look. My question: Which of the available bars are the strongest and might survive a crash?
Here they are installed on my new R as follows:

Like them LOTS!

They look great on your bike; like factory!
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
Antoine31
Basic User

Post by Antoine31 »

Bars look great on the beautiful Dark White bike-- the same as mine! Looks like SW Motech is the one.