New Roadster

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

peels
Basic User

Re: New Roadster

Post by peels »

if it looks anything close to that, with the profile, and stance, and espceially that color scheme. I want one. But then again, I always want BMW's new bikes. :lol:

2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

If telelever is on these Rs for 20+years,that means it is proven.It is a perfection I experience at every drive."Non responsive"??? Ha-ha-ha.Just look at yutube how telelever behives on racetracks,catching up in curves CBR1000 a racetrack oriented bike.Isen't it a success?Definitelly,the telelever is proven well in real word.Abetter solution compared to classic parallel forks.Obviously it is more expensive.Removing telelever=reducing costs in manufacturing.Still keeping the bikes price up=more profit for the BMW production.That simple.If telelever is not good enough,it would be removed after 2-3 years of production.Am I right?
But this is my personal opinion,yours are different I assume.I'll keep my 2012 R1200R for a while(to the end).

BRGDS
Steve H.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

I still think they just have a hard time fitting the new engine on the R without removing the telelever to make room for those radiators.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

"… to make room for those radiators." Indeed, Catchina. Euro V emissions standards are a bitch!

I got one for you conspiracy enthusiasts. What if Dave Robb, the former head of design at Motorrad, left unexpectedly in 2009 because he refused to omit Telelever from future designs? Edgar Heinrich (a.k.a. Liam Neeson), who succeeded Robb, is the hipster in the red shoes.
Bill
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I LOVE the telelever and wouldnt trade it for anything, really. Its not really deal breaker if its gone though. But...I can see why some would hate it. Its cushy. LOL

I can understand getting rid of it reduces costs...but also makes it easier for aftermarket....bolt ons and such. Plus maybe get a few extra buyers with the status quo design because they think the front end of the R bikes look "weird" which they do...to other brand whores. :)
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

I got ripped up on this list for saying the telelever had a lack of road feel a while ago. Good to see some other folks have the same opinion. It's not a big deal because I'll never push the bike to where it would make a difference but it's there.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

mogu83 wrote:I got ripped up on this list for saying the telelever had a lack of road feel a while ago. Good to see some other folks have the same opinion. It's not a big deal because I'll never push the bike to where it would make a difference but it's there.
Harry - please define "road feel" and how there is a lack of it.. I've owned both and can feel the road just fine with the telelever..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

deilenberger wrote: Harry - please define "road feel"
Road feel: The impression imparted to the driver through the steering wheel by the wheels of a vehicle in motion. This feeling can be very important in sensing and predetermining vehicle steering response.
and how there is a lack of it.. I've owned both and can feel the road just fine with the telelever..
I guess it depends on how far you push the bike, I got the same feeling when I drove a car with electronic power steering the first time, a kind of disconnect. I got over it but can still feel the difference when I switch family cars.
My other telescopic front end equipped bikes are either vintage or cruiser style so I have no direct comparison, but I'm sure a roadster equipped wirh a modern telescopic front would be equal or maybe superior to a telelever.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Yep, a purist, or minimalist wouldn't like the telelever. It took me awhile to get used to it, coming from sportbikes, It has a definite limit In my opinion...its the most confident feeling bike Iv'e ridden on corners. up to a certain point, then it feels spongy(to me). Like its gonna slide out from under me. LOL I'm sure it fine, but its just a feeling. A certain degree of lean and g's putting pressure on the front susp...sportbikes seem to get stiffer, while the R remains soft and supple, not bad just not "sporty feelin" But....

Who really cares...I didn't buy the R to race it around a track and scrape holes in my knees. ;) It does what I bought it for better than other bikes Iv'e ridden. =D>
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

Telelever straight line performance is rock solid, especially at highway speeds, and so is braking. I also like it because it makes a BMW unique.

I like the telelever for what it is but road feel does suffer and the weight is heavier (unsprung weight too). It's like, rather than feeling the traction, cornering is a leap of faith.

That being said, I'm glad I have it but wouldn't miss it if it was gone either as both have advantages. I guess it would be a bit sad because along with the boxer motor, the telelever makes a BMW a BMW.

Thanks,

Barry
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

I like the telelever, and it certainly has been a signature BMW design feature. That said, there are advantages to both designs. Also, I suspect that modern, quality telescopic forks obviate the telever's advantages to a degree not present when the telelever was first introduced. And in any case, it looks like a done deal....
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
KMalo
Basic User

Post by KMalo »

First off, let me say that I love my R1200R. It is everything I hoped it would be, and then some.

This is my first experience with telelever, and overall I like it. It does feel a bit strange, though, especially since I'm still riding other bikes that have traditional telescopic forks.

The feel is different, but one that I seem to appreciate more and more. Not being a particularly aggressive rider these days, I think it's fine. No, it's perfect. Still different, though.

Having both air/oil cooled engine and telelever suspension make this bike a keeper for me. A L-O-N-G term keeper :)

Chuck
Chuck DeSantis
11 R1200R
75 850 T3
73 Eldo Project
K75C <RIP>
K1100LT <Sold>
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Hi Chuck! (Old friends..)

I'd have to agree with "perfect" pretty much. The lack of dive under braking is a big confidence builder and also keeps the bikes geometry from changing when braking hard. With standard suspension when it squats on braking - the front end dives and this makes the front suspension "quicker".. ie - just like changing the rear sag (or front sag) will change the feel of the front end. Telelever doesn't do that because it basically barely dives at all (and ALL dive could be dialed out by BMW but they left about 10% just so you "feel" the braking more.) The other good thing is - the forks are more resistant to binding up under braking. This leaves you with suspension suppleness - which if you hit a bump while braking is a very good thing, the tire/wheel follows the bump rather than bouncing over it.

As far as unsprung weight - the telelever fork is only partly unsprung weight (the part ahead of the bottom shock mount.) The sliders are fairly thin-wall. On a standard front end - the popular inverted forks - the entire fork tube (the part that's moving) and is made out of steel - IS unsprung weight. Not so on Telelever - the steel tubes are unsprung. I'd be interested in an actual comparison of unsprung weight between an inverted standard fork and the telelever.

Is telelever perfect - for me - with my needs - it pretty much would be hard to improve on. The ease of changing spring sag and damping make it easy to setup for my style of riding. Not so easy with non-adjustable (which according to the write-ups on the "new" roadsters) standard forks. Ditto on ease of maintenance - there basically is none for the telelever except perhaps a shock rebuild or replacement when it gets tired (my Hyperpro is still going strong at about 75,000 miles.) Just not having to change the fork oil makes it a wonderful thing for me..

Guess it really doesn't matter a lot. BMW is not targeting the new bikes at my demographics. As an official old phart (BOOF#7) I'm not on their marketing radar.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Don C
Basic User

Post by Don C »

There's a new spy shot at MCN. But you have to look into the K1600 bagger article to see it.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/ ... mw-bagger/
Antoine31
Basic User

Post by Antoine31 »

I love the telelever front end on my new R12, but the key to its performance is a high-quality shock-- which the R12 doesn't have but desperately needs. I'll be adding Ohlins front and back as soon as I can afford them. It's very true that the front-end dive experienced in a panic stop with conventional forks can lead to disaster ( and in my case a broken ankle.) I think BMW came close to perfection with the telelever/paralever , linked brakes and ABS. Perhaps these new front ends can be fitter with Ohlins cartridges?
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Don C wrote:There's a new spy shot at MCN. But you have to look into the K1600 bagger article to see it.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/ ... mw-bagger/
this pic?

hmmm... looks cool, a little less BEEMER-ish, a little more "ducati-esque" but I dig it. 8)