Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

GTS29640

Post by GTS29640 »

Hi All,

First post from a new member. I live about 10 miles northwest of Greenville, SC and do most of my riding in the southern Appalachians. I bought the bike a couple of years ago because I wanted something light and nimble that kept me in an upright seating position. This bike was just the ticket. There's a few annoying things like a clunky 1 - 2 shift, too high first gear and a snatchy on - off throttle that take some getting used to. I look forward to participating in some of the discussions.
Last edited by GTS29640 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gary

2007 R1200R
1995 HD FXD
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Re: New Member

Post by angellr »

Welcome, and hope you find this board a great resource.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
hankth
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by hankth »

Welcome to the fam. When shifting from 1st to 2nd, load the shift lever just a little. that is to say pull up on the lever just enough to take up the slack, then when you shift it is a Lot less clunkie. The gas on off is sensitive. I call it precise, and happen to like it. As a new BMW rider, I know it feels too snatchy, but, like the rest of the switch gear, it is just precise. You will grow to like it, I promise, lol. Ride safe.
GTS29640

Post by GTS29640 »

Thanks for the advice on the 1 - 2 shift. I'll give that a try. I do notice that it's much smoother when shifting aggressively or when first starting out (thicker oil).

Regarding the on - off throttle feel, it's really only noticeable when going down hill thru tight turns. Under these conditions I find myself frequently completely off the throttle entering the turn and then back on when exiting. When going downhill and off the throttle I think the rear wheel is trying to drive the engine. When back on the throttle the engine now drives the rear wheel. I don't know if the feel is due to the inherent backlash in a driveshaft system (this is my first bike with a driveshaft and final drive) or if it's a lean open loop fueling condition?? I do know that no matter no matter how much I roll my wrist to prevent an abrupt movement of the throttle, or how smooth I try to be or where I set the throttle free play that I can't get rid of it.
Gary

2007 R1200R
1995 HD FXD
hankth
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by hankth »

One good thing about any backlash on a shaft drive is that it never changes, ( no chain stretch), so you can learn it, so to speak. You might want to try a different rev range, or a higher gear in the conditions that trouble you. In any case, ride safe.
winkeldc
Basic User

Post by winkeldc »

I don't know if this is truly advisable while aggressively cornering, its probably best be on the throttle before the corner so you have a smooth acceleration throughout the apex, but I know that I get backlash when starting to accelerate and have to back off, and then roll on again. In that instance, I weight the rear brake a bit to even out the bike and that eliminates the backlash. You could do the same in cornering by modulating the clutch a bit rather than applying braking pressure if you find yourself having to back off the throttle through the turn; as in, use the clutch to smooth the application back to the rear drive when re-applying the throttle and that should eliminate any backlash you notice. I'd take this with a grain of salt, I am by no means an expert, just relating my personal experience.
Rolando
Basic User

Post by Rolando »

Hi all,
I'm a new member and r1200r owner (for two weeks). I bought a end 2011 bike with 10000 miles and all options for a very good price. I live in the French area in Switzerland near Lausanne.
It's my first BMW bike, and and must say that's the right one that fits all my needs.
Best regards from Switzerland :D
Rolando