Staintune Muffler for the R1200R Camhead

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

chumrider
Basic User

Staintune Muffler for the R1200R Camhead

Post by chumrider »

Several years ago I installed a Staintune exhaust for my R850R. It was a very well-finished product that delivered a sonorous bass note, and I thought that’s the type that I want for my R1200R Camhead. I know from Staintune’s website that they manufacture for the Hexhead but when I enquired about the Camhead they had nothing to offer. So I started to look to other brands to improve the vocal chords of my Camhead, but it is the look and sound of the Staintune that I think suits the R1200R best.
A couple of Camhead owners from the Sydney area didn’t give in so easily and they talked with the management at Staintune. It seems that if enough interest is generated then Staintune will go into production. How much is enough? I don’t know, but I have heard that only 8 or 10 expressions of interest would be sufficient. There’s three of us here in the Sydney area who have contacted Staintune, so that’s a start.
I should add that I don't have any connection with Staintune, and I don't stand to gain financially if they decide to produce a Camhead muffler. What I am trying to do is to let Camhead owners know that if enough interest is generated in the muffler then Staintune will go into production.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Re: Staintune Muffler for the R1200R Camhead

Post by Catchina »

Is it a slip on type, what would be the difference between a camhead and hexhead design?
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
chumrider
Basic User

Post by chumrider »

Hi Catchina
As far as I can tell Staintune make a slip-on muffler and also a set of header pipes for the Hexhead R1200R, the Camhead RT and the Camhead GS. As for the differences between the R1200R Hexhead and Camhead, I think it is just dimensional - perhaps the position of a bracket or the length of a pipe. Am I right in saying that the Hexhead does not have the exhaust flapper valve? If that is the case, maybe that is the difference. I do know that a Camhead R1200R will be "donated" within the next couple of weeks so that the fixing dimensions can be worked out. Chumrider
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Yes, the camhead has the exhaust flap gizmo. I was thinking that a slip on muffler would be just about the same for both but you are right especially if Staintune is making header pipes those would be different. I hope this works out for you and the Sydney crew.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I removed the flap a year ago of my 2012.No ill affects at all.Dunnow,this flap might bee a totally unneccesary part on these BMWs.
chumrider
Basic User

Post by chumrider »

Steve, when you removed the flap did you have to install a short length of pipe in its place?
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

No.I left the stock muffler on it.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

O..I got it.Installed a short pipe,same leght as the flapper housing and same outer diameter.Bought at automotive store and cut it to the proper length.A few bucks pipe.