Finally Upgraded to the R1200R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

ColumbiaBMW
Basic User

Finally Upgraded to the R1200R

Post by ColumbiaBMW »

I've had a 2003 R1150R for the last 7-8 years and it had been pretty reliable for the most part of it's 44,000 miles with me. But I found a really good deal on a 2010 R1200R with the system cases, top case, and sport windshield, and I couldn't pass it up. I've already searched around quite a bit here to see if there are any issues I should keep an eye out on, and other than the fuel strip issue I haven't really found anything major. I know with the R1150R's we had to cut all the zip ties, anything like that with the R1200R that I should look out for?

Also, it only has 9,900 miles on it, and I noticed last night after riding it just a few miles that oil was seeping out of the oil filler cap. I tightened it down a bit, and I'm hoping it's just a case of dealership not getting it tightened all the way, but has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me on my new bike, and even though I'm definitely going to miss my R1150R, I'm glad to finally be on the R1200R side of this site!

Here's the new bike! (I also noticed that cap by the footpeg is missing...can't wait to spend about $12 for that tiny piece of plastic.)
Bryan
2010 R1200R
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Re: Finally Upgraded to the R1200R

Post by Catchina »

Congratulations on the new bike! Other than one fuel strip I've had no trouble with my 2011 r1200r. The cap by the foot peg is not missing, supposed to be that way.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

These bikes are pretty sturdy, and I've never heard of engine or transmission failure. Other than fuel strips, there are a few reports of failures of the ABS module, the rear drive, and the driveshaft. Because discussions boards tend to magnify the appearance of failure (if it works, you're silent; if it breaks, you squawk), it's hard to ascertain an accurate failure rate. I'll guess, however, that it's lower than for many other machines.

My bike's driveshaft went at 34K (the rear u-joint came apart). Still, it's such a well-balanced blast to drive that, if the bike vaporized tomorrow, I wouldn't consider another model and would go right out and buy another one. I expect that after you've ridden your new one a bit, you'll feel the same.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
ColumbiaBMW
Basic User

Post by ColumbiaBMW »

So who has the most miles out of this group? I wanted to keep my 1150R until it hit 100,000 miles, but this bike was too good of a deal and seems a little better built than the 1150R.

I did see there is one 1200R for sale right now with 93,000 miles, would love to get anything near there with this one. But I've got a looong way to go seeing as though it only has 9,900 right now!
Bryan
2010 R1200R
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

brick wrote:… Other than fuel strips, there are a few reports of failures of the ABS module, …
Don't think he'll have to worry as this appears to be a non-ABS bike. (I don't see the ABS ring by the front rotor, but this angle is inconclusive.)

In any event, it's a lovely color and appears practically new. Congratulations and good luck to 100K. :)
Bill
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Congrats on your new bike!
Longevity? This bike is going to last for a.........looooong time.Let to say until you are getting bored with it,and decide to get another
newer tipe.But if you are going to stick to this bike,it is going to last for a lifetime. That simple.

brgds Steve H.
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

Nice looking bike!

BTW, believe it or not, that's the BMW "touring" windshield. The sport shield is even shorter.

The cap by the footpeg is missing on purpose. It's so water doesn't get trapped causing rust.

Congrats.

Barry
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
ColumbiaBMW
Basic User

Post by ColumbiaBMW »

Yeah I later realized that the footpeg cap is supposed to be missing, just caught me off guard at first because the other side does have one.

Has anyone here ran their 1200R without the exhaust for an extended amount of time? I ran my 1150R like that for years with no problems and IMO it actually sounded really good. I saw a YouTube clip of a 1200R with no exhaust though and I'm not sure I like it so much, plus I haven't read anywhere of anyone doing it with a 1200R for an extended amount of time.
Bryan
2010 R1200R
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

Gorgeous bike! Congratulations!

A couple of things you might want to keep your eye on are discussed here in length. Water can collect under the fuel filler cap and cause corrosion. This is easily remedied with a $3 part if caught early and is discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22416&hilit=potent ... m&start=20

Your year model probably has a block of foam behind the engine front cover. This is also a problem as it soaks up water and can cause the gear box cover behind it to corrode. It is easily removed when you change your generator belt.

Lastly, I am one of a few people that discovered the rear flange can develop cracks at the rear wheel lug bolt holes and brake disk mounting holes.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19589&hilit=cracke ... e&start=20

This, for me, was an expensive fix.

Others will probably chime in. Other than this, ride the hell out of it!
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Well over 100k miles on my 1150; now over 43k miles on my 09 r12r. The word to compare the two is that the 12 is more "refined" in every way to the 1150, though at first you'll miss the bad boy/girl attitude of the 1150. Very very similar though.
Ran my 1150 without the can for 80k miles, loved the sound. My 12 came with a Remus and it sounds VERY similar to the way the 1150 sounded only it allows more "burbling" on deceleration. I think I read somewhere that running without the can is not the same option as it was on the 1150 for some reason I cannot recall at the moment.
I used after market plugs and filters on the 1150 with no ill effect, with FAR greater convenience and economy than the KoolAde brand, and would definitely use Autolite plugs on the 12, as I did on the 1150, but cannot find out which ones to use. R12R riders don't seem to be as experimental with aftermarket things as 1150 riders do and info can be elusive as most just stick with the BMW brand and swallow the hassle and the cost. Different strokes. The main point though is the bike doesn't seem to care as long as basic specs are met.

The engines and trannys don't fail. There was a problem in the past w final drives, though it was very infrequent, and far less of an issue than the 1150s clutch splines.
The achilles heel is the fuel strip. The problems listed are well detailed by members here and usually fall into the "annoying" column rather than "this almost killed me."
The bike is beautiful, good luck with it.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Steve in VT
Basic User

Post by Steve in VT »

My '07 R1200R has just over 20 K on the clock. Only two issues so far: The above-mentioned fuel filler well corrosion, and a slight warping of the front brake rotors, perhaps as a result of repeated practice panic stops from 80 mph. I replaced them with aftermarket rotors, which work fine, but aren't as corrosion resistant as the originals. I sent the OEM rotors off to a shop that specializes in repairing bike rotors. I'll save them for when I get sick of looking at rusty rotors.
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

Gorgeous bike! That is the color I would pick, but it was not available at the time I bought my bike.

You might want to make sure your oil filler cap is not "cross threaded." They will seep oil if the filler cap is not screwed all the way in and seated proprerly.

The rubber fuel filler gasket is a good idea. I installed mine when I saw the forum post about it.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819