Air intake snorkel mod

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Re: Air intake snorkel mod

Post by angellr »

peels wrote:
peril66 wrote:Indeed, Ducati would not be what it has been for the last 20 years if it wasn't for 'customer R&D' not to mention Triumph, Harley thingumybob, Moto Guzi etc.
Lets face it these oilheads are great but no perfect by any means, they are overweight and don't breathe very well,, some of the ergonomics are a bit off too.

If you are happy with the way it is good for you, some of us just can't help ourselves, i am currently working on a faster action throttle because it takes me 2 full twists to get to the stops, for me that is a niggle i want to fix, others may not have noticed or find it a problem.

Future jobs will be moving the footrests further back 10-15mm aand maybe some RS1100 handlebars.

If anyone has a engine/drivetrain fuel and electrics laying around i would like to reframe one too, i am thinking Ducati framed cafe racer would be fun!

what? thats not even safe, if even possible...
Peels, you are right! When you start messing with geometry, you change alot of other stuff you might not even see or discover until it is too late. If it were me, I would at least consult someone who knows what they are doing (you might even be one that already knows, but if not, this might be wise).
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
peril66
Basic User

Post by peril66 »

peels wrote:
peril66 wrote:Indeed, Ducati would not be what it has been for the last 20 years if it wasn't for 'customer R&D' not to mention Triumph, Harley thingumybob, Moto Guzi etc.
Lets face it these oilheads are great but no perfect by any means, they are overweight and don't breathe very well,, some of the ergonomics are a bit off too.

If you are happy with the way it is good for you, some of us just can't help ourselves, i am currently working on a faster action throttle because it takes me 2 full twists to get to the stops, for me that is a niggle i want to fix, others may not have noticed or find it a problem.

Future jobs will be moving the footrests further back 10-15mm aand maybe some RS1100 handlebars.

If anyone has a engine/drivetrain fuel and electrics laying around i would like to reframe one too, i am thinking Ducati framed cafe racer would be fun!

Why would i do something dangerous?
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

peril66 wrote:
peels wrote:

Why would i do something dangerous?
UMMMM... because it's fun. is there any other reason? LOL

I was actually commenting on your quote that it ALREADY takes "two full turns", which is what I thought you meant? actually impossible, because two turns would require you removing your hand LOL! now THAT is dangerous, and should be fixed.. or, are you just wanting it to be faster?

If so, On these bikes, Iv'e noticed, that throttle response isn't really the bestest as it is. even if you "SPEED UP" the opening of throttle, I would bet the FI would have issues catching up if it were to snap open faster. and it would actually feel worse, like bogging. Many other mods would need done first.... timing, intake porting...before a faster throttle would be noticed. That's all based on my shadetree view though. But, as far as how it feels...sure. I get it.

In no way was I saying dont do it. I would never tell someone not to tinker with their machine :) Hell I once changed a twist throttle on a honda moped, just so I could do wheelies easier lmao it eventually broke, and we wedged the throttle open, and rode it sans twist grip, using just the kill switch. off/on/off/on to regulate power. safe is boring sometimes :lol:

:)

might I ask how you're thinking of doing it?
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
peril66
Basic User

Post by peril66 »

Why not safe, 320mm brembos and piolli shocks with good tyres!

I was intending to bolt the frame to the engine with real bolts not gaffer tape and bungie cords!!!

No Offence intended but get out and play folks !!

Bike is still running strong, i did 100 miles in heavy rain last month on motorways no issues with running, compared with a standard bike mine gives more from tickover to redline, i will be upsetting more people soon moving the Battery forwards and lowering the front end with a telelever mod.

I am still looking for a broken one to play with if anyone has one.