Air intake snorkel mod

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

1200bc
Basic User

Air intake snorkel mod

Post by 1200bc »

I'm really not liking the look of the air snorkel sticking out on my R. I saw a picture of the BMW Motorrad Lo Rider concept bike in the last BMW Motorcycle mag. This is the bike that became the R Nine T. The snorkel is short and sweet. Can anybody think of any issues with cutting the snorkel so it is even with the plastic cover. The cut would end up angled and more open at the bottom. The only thing I can think of is that the air being sucked it a low speed and sitting at lights might be warmer because the opening would be closer to the head. Any thoughts or knowledge re how this might effect performance. I know I would prefer the look. I don't even mind the R Nine T snorkel for looks, just the R1200R one is ugly!
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Air intake snorkel mod

Post by mogu83 »

I would suggest extreme caution with modifying the induction system in any way. This bike pumps a god awful amount of air through the engine and I'm sure the BMW engineers spent a lot of time,and money, making that happen.

I also own a Honda Valkyrie and when they first came out everyone had an air box mod that would increase performance, well none of them worked. If fact they all decreased performance. A lot of people paid around $200 for new stock air boxes. The days of going up one or two sizes on the main jet and throwing on a pod type K&N filter are gone.

The good news is a new intake snorkel will only cost a little over $150, let us know how you make out.

Naturally IMHO
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

Yes, that's the way I'm looking at it. If the mod is a failure, I would be able to replace it again. But still $130-150.00 is not so cheap. I wonder why the Lo Rider concept bike, while morphing into the RnineT, had the snorkel lengthened?
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

1200bc wrote:Yes, that's the way I'm looking at it. If the mod is a failure, I would be able to replace it again. But still $130-150.00 is not so cheap. I wonder why the Lo Rider concept bike, while morphing into the RnineT, had the snorkel lengthened?
Because one is a concept bike and the other one actually has to run and be ridden by riders? I'm guessing here - but the shorter snorkel might not have resulted in acceptable rideability. A well designed air intake is typically tuned to try to smooth out power delivery without any real peaks. Part of the tuning is the length of the induction path.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

Did the mod. Had a chat with a long time BMW mechanic who said I'm not the first to cut the snorkel back, out of site. He said that the slightly larger air intake would have no ill effects. After a long ride I would say there is no running difference. I'm happy with the look now that I don't see that bit of ugly plastic.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

I'd like to see a pic.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

dbrick wrote:I'd like to see a pic.
Mee too. The snorkel does not bother me, but still, I'm curious.
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

Sorry guys, I don't have a picture hosting site. Basically it is cut to the bottom shape of the cover and the same "slightly lower on the inside", like the end of the original. All you see is the cover really. I guess I was disappointed that the snorkel didn't have a better finish, more like the rest of the motorcycle. The RnineT has a decent cover. A quick measure of opening size showed it is only slightly larger.
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

[/quote]A well designed air intake is typically tuned to try to smooth out power delivery without any real peaks. Part of the tuning is the length of the induction path.[/quote]
I've read that info doing my research and thank you for pointing it out. There may be a performance difference that would show up on a dyno, but as far as my bike goes, all seems fine and even had a chance on a deserted stretch of highway to run up to 220 + km/hr and it pulled quick and smooth.
It was just a personal choice re the bike appearance. Even if someone offered an aftermarket snorkel that was finished looking, I may have taken that path.
I wonder if adding an aftermarket windshield or fairing, side lights, or what have you would effect the air path any more or less? I held a bare hand in front of the shortened tube, at different speeds, and there is loads of air coming at it. But as you say, the 4 inches or so removed may have some effect.
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

BC Please give us an update after you have done a ride in a hard rain. [-o<
peril66
Basic User

Post by peril66 »

I chopped mine off at the entrance to the airbox its basically a scoop now (r850r mu) and removed the tubes intruding into the airbox too. works fine for me, its running a highflow filter, de-cat pipe, remus revolution with no baffle (only loud when you crank it) and the steptoe fueling fix.
You could try it with a second hand one from ebay for a few £ and put back to standard if it does not work for you.
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

I like to see people doing modifications to their bikes. Too many old cautious people on this forum. Gets boring. A good place for information but it gets boring.
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

celticus wrote: Too many old cautious people on this forum. Gets boring. .
Instead of old cautious people, how about old experienced people that made that mistake. The OP did ask for "thoughts or knowledge re how this might effect performance".
:roll:
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

celticus wrote: Too many old cautious people on this forum. Gets boring. A good place for information but it gets boring.
Don't fly too close to the sun Icarus... don't fly too close to the sun.

Aw Dad, lighten-up, it'll be just fine.

Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

Turned 60 today! Ripe, but not ready to fall off the tree. Had the 2013 R1200R in for service. All the techs liked the air snorkel mod. The "team" said no running issues. Not the first air delivery modification they have seen! Had the throttle sync done and the 90th is running smooth.............
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

I think it's great when people "fuss" with their bikes. Could be some good stuff comes out of it. I have a F250 van that gets oil and gas, no interest what so ever with playing with it. But a motorcycle, go for it. I monitor R Nine T forums because those guys mess around. Could be some changes that will work on the R1200R.
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

The pelican R1100S and R1200S site was full of fun smart brave people. Some who would argue with the changes too. Not just the " If the BMW engineers wanted it that way they would have done it that way." Much of the time a much more entertaining forum.
Icarus indeed.
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
peril66
Basic User

Post by peril66 »

Indeed, Ducati would not be what it has been for the last 20 years if it wasn't for 'customer R&D' not to mention Triumph, Harley thingumybob, Moto Guzi etc.
Lets face it these oilheads are great but no perfect by any means, they are overweight and don't breathe very well,, some of the ergonomics are a bit off too.

If you are happy with the way it is good for you, some of us just can't help ourselves, i am currently working on a faster action throttle because it takes me 2 full twists to get to the stops, for me that is a niggle i want to fix, others may not have noticed or find it a problem.

Future jobs will be moving the footrests further back 10-15mm aand maybe some RS1100 handlebars.

If anyone has a engine/drivetrain fuel and electrics laying around i would like to reframe one too, i am thinking Ducati framed cafe racer would be fun!
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

I think BMW turned to custom shops to have the first R nine T's built, and now they can't keep up with demand.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

peril66 wrote:Indeed, Ducati would not be what it has been for the last 20 years if it wasn't for 'customer R&D' not to mention Triumph, Harley thingumybob, Moto Guzi etc.
Lets face it these oilheads are great but no perfect by any means, they are overweight and don't breathe very well,, some of the ergonomics are a bit off too.

If you are happy with the way it is good for you, some of us just can't help ourselves, i am currently working on a faster action throttle because it takes me 2 full twists to get to the stops, for me that is a niggle i want to fix, others may not have noticed or find it a problem.

Future jobs will be moving the footrests further back 10-15mm aand maybe some RS1100 handlebars.

If anyone has a engine/drivetrain fuel and electrics laying around i would like to reframe one too, i am thinking Ducati framed cafe racer would be fun!

what? thats not even safe, if even possible...
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.