Replacement Horn

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Replacement Horn

Post by mogu83 »

Can you replace the stock horn with two Piaa horns without wiring in a relay?
Will the stock setup allow the amperage draw of two Piaa horns?
Would like to hear from someone that actually did this.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
glkok
Basic User

Re: Replacement Horn

Post by glkok »

I just redid my horns. The relay is required, otherwise the system thinks the increased resistance of the new horns is a short. The horn is then disabled. Put a relay in and it works fine.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Harry,

I think the stock wiring (which does not contain a relay) and ZFE will tolerate two horns just fine.

Take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21512, which describes how I changed the stocker for a pair of Fiamms and didn't install a relay. That was four years ago, and things are still working great. If the Piaas draw similar current, they should work fine.

I think Don E also mounted two Fiamms on his without a relay ('tho he removed the charcoal cannister for more mounting room); he pointed out that the ZFE and wiring on our bikes (all three of us have '07s) is the same as used on the then-RT, which came from the factory relayless with two horns.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

I think Don E. has made it very clear that he only temporarily removed the canister as part of an ongoing maintenance project that has been in progress the past several years. He will most assuredly replace the canister the moment it becomes practical to do so. No one should construe his actions and his post describing how to remove the device as advising anyone to take an action that could remotely be construed as illegal, unethical or fattening. [-X When I removed mine it was under similar circumstances and with the firm intent to restore the canister to it's rightful place first chance I get. :^o
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Kevin got it EXACTLY right. I'm still thinking about making a minor adjustment to the preload on my front shock. I'm giving it a lot of thought since I don't want to get it wrong.

As far as two horns? Yup. Can't say if the PIAAs will - but on mine stock RT horns work just fine on the stock wiring with no relay. I imagine since FIAMM has been known to make BMW's horns that they'd probably work fine too - and David proved that. The FIAMM horns came out on top for loudness and penetrating power (louder supposedly than the Stebel type compact air-horns) in a Motorcycle Consumer News article sometime in the past several months. I no longer keep issues - but they are available if you're a subscriber via an on-line interface that's actually quite good.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!