A Loud Rattle at Startup?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

A Loud Rattle at Startup?

Post by Lost Rider »

Hey folks!

I've been riding the 12R this week for the first time since the spring while my NineT is getting painted and am noticing a somewhat new and loud rattle at startup. Seems like it's coming from the right side cam chain, or is similar in sound to a loose cam chain coming from the right side. It does go away after a few seconds.

I remember Don posted a long time ago something about replacing the guides and maybe a tensioner and was wondering if anyone knows where the thread is or has more info on what I need to get to fix this.
A little over 100K miles on the 07' and I've not replaced anything inside the motor...

Thanks!
Get Lost!
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Re: A Loud Rattle at Startup?

Post by Karamazov »

N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Awesome, thank you!

Now, how about the guides.... I guess I could search ADV for the GS... good thinking!
Get Lost!
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

Lost Rider wrote:Awesome, thank you!

Now, how about the guides.... I guess I could search ADV for the GS... good thinking!
I did a pretty substantial search of the internets looking for a rail replacement on a Hexhead, but came up nada. I'm guessing BMWMOA is gonna be the only source for that, but I think you have to be a member on the site to access those articles.

From most of the reading I've done, the tensioner replacement solves the rattle, but considering the mileage on your RR, there may be enough wear to justify replacing the whole kit. Best of luck.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Joe - before changing any parts - try changing oil to Castrol TWS 10W-60 "Edge Professional" - made in Germany, spec'd for the HP2, and available at your friendly local BMW car dealership (ask for the "M3" oil..)

Cheaper than BMW-Motorrad's semi-synthetic, it's a full synthetic, type V based and is very good at quieting down noisy hexheads.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

Hmmm, Edge oil; sounds like it's worth a try. I have a friend with an 07 RT that has a cam chain rattle. Now, if only there was a BMW auto dealer within 320 miles.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Lost Rider wrote: . . . noticing a somewhat new and loud rattle at startup. Seems like it's coming from the right side cam chain, or is similar in sound to a loose cam chain coming from the right side. It does go away after a few seconds. A little over 100K miles on the 07' and I've not replaced anything inside the motor...
The last sentence above says it all. It very likely is a worn out camchain, worn camchain guide rail surfaces and worn camchain tensioner, ALL contributing to the new start-up clatter noise who's violent mechanical whiplash will now accelerate wear of all those components. As always, I would make the easy shots first. Try that heavier oil, then replace the camchain tensioner if that does not help.

Not sure about the next generation R1200 HexHead motor, but the past generation R1100/1150 OilHead requires the crankcases to be split in half to replace the camchain guide rails, a complete engine disa$$embly.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

Not sure about the next generation R1200 HexHead motor, but the past generation R1100/1150 OilHead requires the crankcases to be split in half to replace the camchain guide rails, a complete engine disa$$embly.
Quick check of HexHead Haynes manual 2.62....that is still the ca$e. :(