battery light and yellow warning triangle before start

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

bhmav8r
Basic User

battery light and yellow warning triangle before start

Post by bhmav8r »

Red battery light and yellow warning triangle stays on before start then both go out once started.

No warning lights on after start.

Battery measures 13.3V

Just put a new battery in about a month ago. The previous battery seemed to go bad a little early than I expected.

My closest BMW dealership is about 100 miles away - do other non-BMW shops have electronics to read the BMW faults?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: battery light and yellow warning triangle before start

Post by mogu83 »

On my 2007 with ignition on and engine NOT running I have a solid Battery lamp (red) and flashing ABS and Oil lamps (red) yellow triangle is NOT on.
I've had the yellow triangle come on with the engine off if I had a lamp out, do you have anything on the dash panel that explains the triangle (like a LAMP indication).
Hope this helps.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
bhmav8r
Basic User

Post by bhmav8r »

I think the yellow warning triangle is for a service interval, as the "service" letters beside the mileage is constant on. found this on pg 22 owners manual - not in the start up dummy light section . . . the next service date shows Feb 2015. Maybe the date in the computer is off.

I think the battery light is normal - looks like it is on only when the start switch toggle is on. Its off when the engine starts so it is charging adequately, and starts strong.

Low mileage bike, climate garaged. Have the brake fluid changed every two years. Been changing the oil/filter every 1000 miles. Been planning on doing lot of the oil/filter/valves/brakes/fluids maintenance myself since the local dealership closed. Hopefully I can get it looked at periodically by a BMW dealership.
vroomr
Basic User

Post by vroomr »

It sounds like normal, fault-free operation, so don't overthink this. Consult "pre-ride check" in your owners manual.

Another way to look at this: have you ever seen any car that doesn't give a display of warning indicators when the ignition is on but the engine is not running?

And why on earth are you changing oil every 1,000 miles? There are plenty of oil opinions in numerous oil threads, but I think this is the first time I heard of a 1,000 mile interval. Don't wear out the drain plug!
Richard
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

At startup you should see upper left blinking abs lamp: center dash neutral lamp "N"; and to the right of that the red battery discharge lamp. This is after the precheck is completed, which lasts about 5 seconds or so. If you are seeing the yellow triangle, something isn't right.
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

The triangle is telling you a sensor is reporting a fault. The report may be erroneous; low fuel or bad bulb for instance. Or, the fault could be for real and the cause determined by having the codes read by a dealer or with a GS911. Simple check would be to check that all your bulbs are working.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
vroomr
Basic User

Post by vroomr »

Are you giving the self-test time to complete? On my R's self-test, the triangle is first red, then yellow, and then goes out. The whole shebang takes maybe 5-Mississippi; what happens when you wait, say, 20 seconds after turning the key (and not pressing the start button)?
Richard
bhmav8r
Basic User

Post by bhmav8r »

Pretty sure the yellow light is because of the "service" by the odometer. It does go off, but is not part of the normal start up diagnosis.

There is no fault code or description in the display. (Other than "service")

It only has 5000 mi and I plan to change the oil every 1000 mi until the 6250 mi service, then every 2500 mi or so. Its easy and inexpensive to change.

I'll see if any one local (Birmingham AL) has a gs-911 so I can get the computer read without having to ride it 150 mile to the nearest dealership.

Thanks for all the input. Its comforting to have others with more experience.
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

Look thru your owners manual under starting the bike, page 67 in my manual for the 2008. Under Phase 1 it describes what indicator lights come on when the bike is going thru the initial computer checks when the key is turned on. It describes the yellow triangle coming on then going off. This is the normal start up sequence. Is does not matter if the service indicator is on or not. If the yellow indicator comes on while you are riding then there are problems. What you have is normal, ride the bike and be happy.

Just me 2 cents

Roger L
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

bhmav8r wrote:Its comforting to have others with more experience.
Then believe them when they say you are wasting oil and money and not doing anything to make the bike perform better, be more reliable or last longer.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
bhmav8r
Basic User

Post by bhmav8r »

roger l wrote:Look thru your owners manual under starting the bike, page 67 in my manual for the 2008.
The part about the "service" and yellow warning is on page 22.

I am very happy and happy with the bike - I just don't have a dealership to take it to and don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere when a battery fails.

Thanks again all.
vroomr
Basic User

Post by vroomr »

I rechecked my startup sequence. The triangle goes yellow-red-yellow with no fault present.
Richard
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Are you in Birmingham, Alabama?

There's a dealer there, or used to be.
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Are you in Birmingham, Alabama?

There's a dealer there, or used to be.
Used to be. Whilst at the RA Rally - one local club member needed some part or another, so we set out in search of the Birmingham dealer. After wandering around and getting lost on some secondary highways, we got to the building.

BMW logo was still on the corner of the building - but the building was empty. There was a hand printed sign on the door saying something about "Thanks.. we're looking for a new location.."

So - it's now a "usedtobe.."
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!