AIR HAWK Recommendations?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bob Ain't Stoppin'

AIR HAWK Recommendations?

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

Does anyone use an air hawk seat pad? Coming up on a long trip and thinking this might be a good idea. Which model is the right size? Any reviews?

Thanks guys.
scooterme

Re: AIR HAWK Recommendations?

Post by scooterme »

I use one on mine, it has saved my ass, literally, on many a long distance ride.

Looking at their site, I think it's the DS Crusier I use and the small pillion pad for my Cup Cake.

BTW, they do take a bit of getting used to, as your behind floats 1/4 inch off the seat, making you feel a little 'disconnected' at first, but that passes, and the relief is so worth it.
ImageImage
SDMAX2
Basic User

Post by SDMAX2 »

Pay about double to get the latest Air Hawk, out about a year, with a space cut out for your man junk. I think it was about 200 bucks. I put 8,000 miles on mine between San Diego, Anchorage, Seattle, Denver and back to San Diego. Do not over inflate. Just takes a little air to do the job. Makes all the difference in the world. This is a good product. Will also raise your seat height by a perceived maybe as much as an inch which is ok on long trips because gives you more leg room. Remember not too much air, just a puff....put in three puffs and let air out until just feel a little air in the seat.
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

The medium size is the right one for our R1200Rs. It must be my ass. The Airhawk doesn't help me. Maybe I should have got something other than the Airhawk 2.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Thanks for the response guys. Looks like I should order a new "R" model which comes in only one size. I'm nervous about this because it will mean leaving my Alaska Leather sheepskin at home. I've liked it, but 500+ mile days are too much for the current setup. I'm having to stop every half hour as the end of the day approaches. I think the added height will be a big bonus.

Will report on the results near the end of September when I get back.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Have used an airhawk for prior trips and it worked out fine. For my last 5K+ trip over 8 days (rode 7 of those days and averaged 750+ miles/day), I just toughed it out. Surprisingly, my butt/bike seat became "one" and was not sore after the 3rd day - in fact, stopped taking Aleve after the 3rd day as well. Just my $0.02.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Just ordered the 'R' model. It delivers Friday so I can test it on a Sunday ride of several hours. Good thing to test before starting the trip!

Angel - I have never taken pain killer to get through the day. Am looking for better comfort than that :lol:
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Bob Ain't Stoppin' wrote:Just ordered the 'R' model. It delivers Friday so I can test it on a Sunday ride of several hours. Good thing to test before starting the trip!

Angel - I have never taken pain killer to get through the day. Am looking for better comfort than that :lol:
Normally I dont either. My back was killing me, as I had not ridden on the new bike for more than a few 100 miles at a time. It was a break-in period for both of us. :lol:
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

I've used an airhawk medium for the last couple years, little over 8k miles with it. I like it, it makes 500 mile days more comfortable. Nothing compares to seat time however, you gotta ride to toughen up, those first few long trips every year remind me of this.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

I'll agree on seat-time.. Usually the first 2 days of a long trip are painful by the end of the day. I've been trying to avoid that for the upcoming Europe trip (1 week today!).. by riding a few hours every day. Seems to be working.

I am a fan of the FreedomAir cushion (small one), which I've used for about 60,000 miles or so (and am taking to Europe with me.) With any air cushion - the mistake a lot of people make is putting too much air in it. You want just enough air so your butt-bones just about touch through the cushion to the seat below. The idea of them isn't that they're soft - it's that they help distribute weight over a larger area and avoid pressure points. Blown up too hard - they don't work. Blown up right - they are a real buttsaver.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
PaulLP
Basic User

Post by PaulLP »

I have the AirHawk 2, the $100 model. I think the thing I like the most about it is that when you sit on it with the correct amount of air inflation it moves a lot of the air forward and helps a lot with the sliding forward, crowd the jewels situation that happens when braking or downshifting. Big help there as one can imagine.
The thing I like the least is the way it looks, but then again when I am on it it looks fine cause i can't see it!
Well made by a company that has been around for a long time making cushions for disabled folks in wheelchairs and injuries that require bed stays.
And the 60 day money back comfort guaranty has to take some of the doubts away when considering it.
La Jolla, California
2012 R1200R
eperker
Basic User

Post by eperker »

I recently did 2700 miles over 9 days. I really can't stand more than 3 hours on my stock seat. The Airhawk R, while not perfect, literally saved my ass. You have to inflate it just enough to float your sit bones 1/4 inch above your seat. Anymore and it's just too weird. Altitude changes affect the inflation. I don't feel super connected to the bike on the twisties but I could scoot in front of it, if I needed. Bottom line, it totally does what it claims to do and I couldn't have done this trip without it.
______
2007 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Quite an interesting article on what actually causes the PITB..

http://damungracenin.wordpress.com/ "Piriformis Syndrome: the anatomy of a pain in the butt"

I can report that I can ride all day long on a stock BMW low seat without pain IF the roadway is glass smooth - like one of the Autobahn's in Germany was. Unbelievable pavement quality. As we wandered into other countries where they don't take their roadways as seriously pain started to return. I had my FreedomAir along but didn't bother using it.
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

I'm recently returned from a 7700 mile trip. Leaving Mass and going west across the TransCan to Banff, then south to Reno, and back home via the mostly I-70 route. Pleased to report that the AirHawk-R proved to be a life saver. I was able to ride all day in relative comfort. My main issue now is that the leg room is less on this bike than on a real touring rig like a GS or RT. But very pleased with the AirHawk.
scooterme

Post by scooterme »

Glad to hear the Air Hawk worked out. The leg room is the main reason I'm considering the GSA for my next ride.
Bob Ain't Stoppin' wrote: My main issue now is that the leg room is less on this bike than on a real touring rig like a GS or RT.
ImageImage
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Unbeleivable pavement quality+unbeleivable vehicle quality=german engineering.Did I miss something???
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

scooterme wrote:Glad to hear the Air Hawk worked out. The leg room is the main reason I'm considering the GSA for my next ride.

Scotter. I'm getting real interested in the newly announced 1200RS. Repeat . . . real interested ;)
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Signing off.
Don Eilenberger,and Lost rider-You are just great riders -my favourites-thank you for that.For me it is time to leave.I will read your posts time by time,but remaining behind the curteins.
Be safe,and good riding
BRGRDS
Steve H.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Steve H. wrote:Signing off.
Don Eilenberger,and Lost rider-You are just great riders -my favourites-thank you for that.For me it is time to leave.I will read your posts time by time,but remaining behind the curteins.
Be safe,and good riding
BRGRDS
Steve H.
Steve - sorry to hear that. Your input has always been great.. hope it wasn't what anyone said here.

Don
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Hi,Don!
It was my mistake,puting in more politics than I should.Really sory abouth that.Thinking it over -and -over,I realised something,my two grandsons where born here in Canada-for me -North America.That 34years from my birth in Yugoslavia certenly influence my life.Sorry because of that.But,I made my final desission,I will stay with your forum,NO politics-period.Scince I learned,people are thinking different way,wich is good.

BRGDS
Steve H.