Fuel Strip finally addressed by BMW..sort of

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

GBag
Basic User

Fuel Strip finally addressed by BMW..sort of

Post by GBag »

Just received a letter in the mail today from BMW formally recognizing the fuel strip issue. However, the letter states that they will now extend warranty coverage for it for a period of 12 years. If you ran out of warranty & had to pay to get it fixed you are able to be reimbursed your cost. This coverage IS transferable to any subsequent owner.
GBag
'08 XL1200 L (Traded), '09 R1200R (Traded), '11 R1200R (riding the hell out of it)
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Re: Fuel Strip finally addressed by BMW..sort of

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

I just got my letter this week also. I think the timing of this warranty extension is interesting:

Perhaps they are now willing to extend the warranty because they finally figured out the problems and now have a reliable strip to install. Previously they didn't make a formal commitment because they had no end in sight to the costs of replacement. DonE gave a good story line about a possible cause for the strip failures in a previous thread. If that has any basis in reality, this recent long term commitment suggests that problems are now resolved with the stip.

I bought my bike (a 2008) with 12000 miles on it. The strip failed on the first tank of gas. Dealer replaced under warranty, and I now have about 3 years on this replacement strip. So I count myself as one of the lucky ones.
atractaspis
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1059

Post by atractaspis »

Just in case somebody want to see the actual letter (just got it yesterday in the mail)

Donating Member #: 0

Post by vroomr »

I just had the fuel pump recall work done, and it looks like the replaced assembly, judging by the part description, includes a fuel strip. My new fuel strip works fine, just like the old one.
Richard
daveyator
Lifer

Post by daveyator »

I had no problems with my '07 and I have had no problems with my '11. My wife says I'm Charley Brown so it'll probably wait until 12 yrs and one day and then fail!
I finally got got an RT!
'11 R1200R Classic, '07 R12R, '99 R1100R. Gone but not forgotten
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

And I was so looking forward to making a piezoelectric fuel strip repair tool out of a fireplace lighter...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.p ... st21268240
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

I had one replaced out of warranty while on a trip a couple years ago at Gateway BMW in St. Louis, MO. I contacted them three weeks or so ago and was told it would be a long wait and I likely wouldn't get all the money I spent, just what BMW covered.

I got home today after a weekend trip to Springfield , IL to the AMA Grand National Mile FlatTrack race and my check was waiting on me =D> I reviewed the service ticket and it appears that I did get shorted $16.00 and change for "shop supplies".

That's nothing in my book, I'm quite pleased and one of the first phone calls I make tomorrow I'll be to Shannon at Gateway for a big thank you conversation. I envisioned a bit of a hassle since I live five hours away and it would have been easy to ignore me and let it go. Big props to those guys =D> =D>
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

BigEasy wrote:I had one replaced out of warranty while on a trip a couple years ago at Gateway BMW in St. Louis, MO. I contacted them three weeks or so ago and was told it would be a long wait and I likely wouldn't get all the money I spent, just what BMW covered.

I got home today after a weekend trip to Springfield , IL to the AMA Grand National Mile FlatTrack race and my check was waiting on me =D> I reviewed the service ticket and it appears that I did get shorted $16.00 and change for "shop supplies".

That's nothing in my book, I'm quite pleased and one of the first phone calls I make tomorrow I'll be to Shannon at Gateway for a big thank you conversation. I envisioned a bit of a hassle since I live five hours away and it would have been easy to ignore me and let it go. Big props to those guys =D> =D>
I'm just envious that you got to go to the Springfield Mile..... [-o<
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Post by arp »

I got the letter Thursday. Friday I was thinking how well fuel strip #6 was doing. 9 months and 8,000 mi was a new record for me. Maybe they solved the problem? Saturday it failed!
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

MTBeemer wrote:
BigEasy wrote:
I'm just envious that you got to go to the Springfield Mile..... [-o<
Don't be envious, plan on joining us next year!

Mrs. Easy and I have been going for close to a decade, I went a few time before we were married, it's a great time. We've got the town pretty well figured out, and the locals are doing quite a bit to make it cool. C'mon out to the cornfields, pm me and we'll get together and the Mrs. And I will show you around. =D>
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
scooterme

Post by scooterme »

My R's in for service right now. Getting the warrantee fuel strip fix while it's in. It's going to take a while to trust it.
ImageImage
zei220

Post by zei220 »

This is only valid in the U.S. I've just had my strip fail so went to the dealers hoping they would replace as a warranty claim...... Got the sorry john, that's for the States only message. In the end the replacement cost me €288.
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

When BMW announced extended warrantee coverage for the fuel strip I remembered that I had had it changed, and paid for it, a couple of months before. I asked the dealer, and he said that he would submit it to BMWNA. It is now 2 1/2 months since I crashed and totaled the "R", I am just learning how to walk again without a limp, and I had almost forgotten about the bike. Today a check arrived from the dealer for $316 and some cents! I am gratified and impressed.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS