Anyone in Europe?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Anyone in Europe?

Post by deilenberger »

Heading off Friday on a bucket-list trip. Flying into Dusseldorf, picking up an R1200R (yea!) along with 2 friends who will also be picking up R1200R's - and heading toward Prague, with an eventual maybe destination of Barcelona. Will be riding about 16 days, with some multi-day stopovers in Prague, Munich, Barcelona. Countries - Germany, Czech Rep, Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Monaco, France, Spain and maybe Belgium (just a corner.) It's a free-form trip, we plan one day ahead, and I planned several "extra" days into the schedule in case of rotten weather, or we decide we're having too much fun someplace and want to stay another day.

Anyway - if any euro R1200R owners want to meet up.. give me a ping here and I'll send along my email address. Phone is an unknown at the moment, I suspect I'll be buying a euro SIM card for mine, so I don't know what the number will be.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
scooterme

Re: Anyone in Europe?

Post by scooterme »

:mrgreen: I'm not in Europe (although I grew up in the UK), just wanted to say that I am entirely envious. Have a fantastic trip.
ImageImage
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Have a great time! Take pictures and post a trip report.

Be safe.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Don,I am jelous on you.You are going to have a great time!!
I would suggest a little extra if it fits into your time the Adriatic sea coast line,driving on "Magistrala"from north starting in Slovenia through Croatia into Montenegro.The motorcyclists paradise.Tons of curves,a really beautiful wiew,alots of islands and peninsulas.Seing ancient cities like Split,Dubrovnik etc.Decades ago I did this rout many times it is a great run.The Dalmatian seafood and other foods are perfect.Their wines are perfect. :) Especially the domestic red wine.Ask me how do I know :-" .

I wish you a great trip and be safe :D

Steve H.
SL
Basic User

Post by SL »

Wish I was going , never been
Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Post by Shakey »

Don,

If you are stopping in Munich then you have to visit the World of BMW exhibit at the factory. It's very car centric as you'd expect but there is also a very good bike exhibit too. Well worth a visit.

A note of route planning - buy the Michelen maps for your route and look for roads that have a green border on them. Only use the Autobahn if you need to burn miles.

If you get the opportunity to visit the Mosel valley you must ride the B528 north towards Aachen and the Belgian border via the Nurburgring. It's one of the best roads in Germany but to be honest, most B-rods in Germany are a pleasure to ride.

Be careful in France and Belgium of the "Priorite a droit" rule which may till be in existence in towns. Cars emerging from a junction on your right may have priority. I've even had cars on roundabouts stop to let me join! It's being pahsed out but this just leads to confusion!
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Thanks all for the suggestions/ideas/encouragement.

I'm back. GREAT trip even if we didn't quite make it to Barcelona (only about 120 miles from it though..)

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32889

Now thinking about how I can get away with this again next year..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!