Parts Question for OEM Luggage Rack 2014 Bike

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

HwyChile
Basic User

Parts Question for OEM Luggage Rack 2014 Bike

Post by HwyChile »

I am going to order the OEM luggage rack for my 2014 Dark White R1200R online since my dealer is not that helpful and is too high on the parts. BMW has a few names for the luggage rack kit: (1) Large Case Mountings Including Luggage Grid, (2) Case Holder with Luggage Grid, and (3) Baggage Porter Kit.

After doing some searching online, folks say I will also need to replace the Rear Trim Panel (number 12 in the attached diagram). After looking at the description for the Rear Trim Panel it is not clear if it only comes in one color (black) or the same color as the original one on the bike which was white. I found a photo of a bike like mine with the luggage rack and it has a black one and the parts numbers online do not seem to have a way to order any particular color. I am thinking that the Rear Trim Panel is always black when for the one that goes with the luggage rack, and it is a color when there is no luggage rack like my original bike. In other words, if I order the new Rear Trim Panel made for the luggage rack it only has one part number and it is black. Is this correct? I attached the diagram and the picture of bike like mine with the luggage rack.

Sorry but I cannot figure out how to post the pictures. Here are the links.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12151215@N06/15129884102/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/12151215@N06/15129882862/
arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Re: Parts Question for OEM Luggage Rack 2014 Bike

Post by arp »

You are correct. The online parts catalogues point to P/N 46 63 7 723 861 for the rear trim when the luggage rack is installed, regardless of model colour. It is an unpainted black plastic, which explains why it is so cheap compared to the corresponding painted plastic parts which are used when there is no luggage grid. The painted trim panels have a notch to clear the grab handle and when you remove the grab handle to install the luggage grid there would be an opening that would let crud in unless you put in the correct trim panel.
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
HwyChile
Basic User

Re: Parts Question for OEM Luggage Rack 2014 Bike

Post by HwyChile »

Thanks Arp. I ordered everything.