R1200R leg protectors to eliminate noise/buffeting

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

GForman
Basic User

R1200R leg protectors to eliminate noise/buffeting

Post by GForman »

has anyone used these leg protectors? a guy i know told using them will eliminate the noise/buffeting that comes from the air coming around the tank on the R12R. as much as i like my R12R i can't seem to get a quiet, buffet free ride i have been hoping for no matter what windshield i try. i am thinking of giving these leg protectors a try and if they don't work i think i'll trade this bike along with one of my others in on a RT.

http://wunderlich.sportouring.net/leg-f ... arent-2136
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: R1200R leg protectors to eliminate noise/buffeting

Post by deilenberger »

I'll be quite interested in how they work out for you. Certainly make things nicer in inclement weather.

That said - a few of us did about 3,000 miles in Europe in September on semi-naked R1200Rs.

It was a very pleasant trip - despite a few days of "weather" (rain, sometimes hard, and winds in the Alps.) While the lack of a shield (the bikes had the 6" high "sport" shield that protects the instruments and not much else) did limit our extended speed excursions on the Autobahn to about 150km/hr, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It seemed adequately fast. Did get up to 160km/hr (100MPH) just so my GPS would have it recorded.. Did that once and it was difficult to hold on.

Buffeting was not a big issue with the semi-naked bike.

Just a thought. Do you really need that much protection?
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
GForman
Basic User

Post by GForman »

Don, it's not so much the protection that i want but i am trying to get a quiet non buffeting ride. i have tried windshields from MadStad, CalSci, a Parabellum Scout fairing, two different version of Cee Baileys and nothing has given me that quiet ride i am looking for. i emailed the company that sells the leg protectors to verify they will fit my '07 and if they will i will give them a try. hopefully they will solve the buffeting/noise issue, or at least make it tolerable.
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

I've put about 40K touring miles on my R. I use panniers on long trips and I have Wunderlich foot guards mounted, Combined with the Parabellum Sport fairing with a Touratech extension and GS handguards this arrangement provides very good protection for my legs. Buffetting has never been an issue, with or without the panniers and I only use them when I need the space on multi-week camping trips. It is not as turbulence free as my FJR, but still very comfortable. One man's buffetting is just normal air flow to another man. You just have to keep tinkering until you get it where you want it.

Since I bought the FJR it has become my bike of choice for long trips in the lower 48, but I still prefer the R when heading north to AK or when there will be any dirt road riding.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Nice rig, Kevin.
What's the text on the front fender?
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
MTBeemer
Lifer

Post by MTBeemer »

dbrick wrote:Nice rig, Kevin.
What's the text on the front fender?
Thanks.

The decal is for Dust To Dawson. It is an annual gathering of riders in Dawson City, Yukon Territory. We've been 6 or 7 times.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

GForman wrote:Don, it's not so much the protection that i want but i am trying to get a quiet non buffeting ride. i have tried windshields from MadStad, CalSci, a Parabellum Scout fairing, two different version of Cee Baileys and nothing has given me that quiet ride i am looking for. i emailed the company that sells the leg protectors to verify they will fit my '07 and if they will i will give them a try. hopefully they will solve the buffeting/noise issue, or at least make it tolerable.
I think that was sort of my point (badly expressed probably..) About the quietest ride I can get, buffeting free with my Schuberth C3 is - no windshield at all.. just clear air hitting the helmet. That was how the helmet was designed to work and designed to be quiet - in clear air.

You might give it a try.. just take whatever you currently have on off and go for a ride. I've also been through a lot of windshields but I've narrowed it down to the original Cee Bailey in the 14" height, tilted back about 1.5" - that seems to give the cleanest air behind it. I also run a largish tank bag which probably has some effect too.

I'll be very interested in the results of your trial..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
SL
Basic User

Post by SL »

they are no loner available , I asked them several months ago
GForman
Basic User

Post by GForman »

SL wrote:they are no loner available , I asked them several months ago
\

maybe thats why i haven't heard back from them
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

@MTBeemer - I love the GS Panniers - how'd you get them mounted?
MTBeemer
Lifer

Post by MTBeemer »

jmckeown wrote:@MTBeemer - I love the GS Panniers - how'd you get them mounted?
They are Hepco Becker bags mounted using SW Motech mounts.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
lynnboyd
Lifer

Post by lynnboyd »

With respect to the buffeting, I'm just guessing but in addition to having the windshield slanted (like with the Don C. block) it may help to have the windshield come down around the sides of the headlight. That seems to stop a lot of the air from coming up the "tunnels" on either side of the tank. To do that you really need to move the headlight up and out an inch and a half or so.
I've tried four or five windshields and have been using this one for going on four years now and the buffeting is really minimal.
2007 R1200R, Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Sargent seat, Givi PLX cases
1981 KZ1100A1
GForman
Basic User

Post by GForman »

i have recently put a madstad windshield on my bike but it's been too cold to ride, was 6 degrees when i got to work the other morning and snow expected today. the madstad i have on my F650GS twin is perfect so i'm hoping the one i put on my R1200R will work as well.
tinytrains
Lifer

Post by tinytrains »

lynnboyd wrote:With respect to the buffeting, I'm just guessing but in addition to having the windshield slanted (like with the Don C. block) it may help to have the windshield come down around the sides of the headlight. That seems to stop a lot of the air from coming up the "tunnels" on either side of the tank. To do that you really need to move the headlight up and out an inch and a half or so.
I've tried four or five windshields and have been using this one for going on four years now and the buffeting is really minimal.
What windshield is that???

Thanks,
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
GForman
Basic User

Post by GForman »

What windshield is that???
i think that windshield is a Memphis Shades Alley Cat
lynnboyd
Lifer

Post by lynnboyd »

Yes, it's a Memphis Shades Alley Cat. The brackets are custom made from parts mostly available from McMaster-Carr, although the brackets that move the headlight up and out are cut from 3/16" aluminum stock.
2007 R1200R, Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Sargent seat, Givi PLX cases
1981 KZ1100A1
Rrider
Donating Member #: 744

Post by Rrider »

I've had the same experience as Don, trying many different screens without much success. I took off the last one (Ztechnik Vstream) the other day and was surprised at the smoothness of the air. It was quieter too. I should have done it a long time ago!
07 Black R1200R
SL
Basic User

Post by SL »

The Ztechnik Vstream came with mine , made turbulence worse , that is the most awful excuse for a wind screen

Now have a scout fairing
Rrider
Donating Member #: 744

Post by Rrider »

SL - So you're happy with the Parabellum?
07 Black R1200R
SL
Basic User

Post by SL »

Yes , very

BTW , Parabellum will not be making a fairing for the 2015 r1200r , because of the head light shape