R1200R leg protectors to eliminate noise/buffeting

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

GForman
Basic User

Re: R1200R leg protectors to eliminate noise/buffeting

Post by GForman »

So you're happy with the Parabellum?
i have a Parabellum scout fairing and although i love the way it looks it just doesn't work that well for me. i have tried three different height screens on it but it is still very noisy and there is quite a bit of buffeting. it's a shame to as it really enhances the look of the bike.
Rrider
Donating Member #: 744

Post by Rrider »

Good to know. Thanks.
07 Black R1200R
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

The fairing/screen/buffeting question is about YMMV as they come. I now have a Parabellum Scout on my '07 with a 14" screen. There is no buffeting and very good protection. My head is in almost-clear air, and while not quite as quiet as with the 18" screen, it's plenty quiet enough and much much better than the previous windscreen.

The most unexpected change from installing this is the emotional one in me. Before, I'd go into the garage and my first thought was always disappointment about how the bike didn't look as compelling as the silver R11RSL that preceded it - I thought that was a very handsome machine. Now, my first thought is "That looks good and complete and I like it." Closing off the wide-open front of the machine certainly contributes to this.

I rode behind a windscreen for four years, and like this a lot more.
Last edited by dbrick on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
SL
Basic User

Post by SL »

How tall are you and the shield ??

I am 5'8'' and have a 20'' screen with this on it http://www.mra.de/en/x-creen
I now have no more buffeting , helmet shake from air coming over the top .

Sometimes I get some turbulence from air coming from below , not over the top

GForman wrote:
So you're happy with the Parabellum?
i have a Parabellum scout fairing and although i love the way it looks it just doesn't work that well for me. i have tried three different height screens on it but it is still very noisy and there is quite a bit of buffeting. it's a shame to as it really enhances the look of the bike.
Caroanbill
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Caroanbill »

Late to this topic, and I see the Wunderlich clear leg / foot protectors are no longer available.

BUT

- I have had these on my 2007 since 2010, along with Wunderlich clear handshields and the big Cal Sci screen (the set-up is collectively known as the Emperor's New Fairing).

They work well at keeping water, cold and heat off my lower legs - as well as road grime. The appear to have no affect on fuel consumption, except possibly a small improvement. They also seem to have a small positive effect, or no effect, on wind or buffeting - the bike is as stable as always. I am very happy with them.

As for noise, neither the leg shields nor the Cal Sci screen reduce the main noise source on the R1200R 2006-14 - the tank scallops. My set-up is less noisy than a couple of screens I tried, but really I gave up defeating noise and just live with it. My BMW System 5 helmet is noisy too - about to go to System 6.

It's not complete protection - the tank is a gap and both water and cold tend to funnel in along the tank side to wet / chill my thighs. But with lower legs, hand, chest well out of the wind, I have been okay with the cold blast on my thighs as low as -1C /30F (no heated gear - just merino longs under my goretex suit).

One small issue is access to the oil filler - I have the wunderich one with a "lock" torx key - have drilled a hole in the LH leg protector to be able to use it easily (ie poke the torx key through the hole onto the oil filler)

I no longer have a web pics, but here are pics of my bike on another site and you can see the leg shields if you peer hard enough (yes, I also ride Vespas).
- http://modernvespa.com/forum/post109456 ... t=#1094562
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT