2015 R1200R Owners Thread

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

peels
Basic User

Re: The 2015 Lost R1200R

Post by peels »

beautiful, just beautiful. The photo in the redwoods, likely is my favorite.

LostRider, do you ever pinch yourself to make sure you're awake? Just curious.

I should say, to my previous statement that I wasnt keen on the color.... the gold forks REALLY pop with that blue. I think that might be what I didnt like about the showroom model...they were the stock metal...

ride on, Ill keep living vicariously through your pictures. 8)
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Rrider
Donating Member #: 744

Post by Rrider »

Thanks for all the great info Joe. As always I appreciate the beautiful photos. One day I'm going to get a camp shot like that. The starry night makes it just about perfect. Do you remember what ISO and shutter speed you used?
07 Black R1200R
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

The Bags look nice, a much better fit than on the hex/cam head R's. Always thought that the bags were an afterthought for the R's just make the RT bags fit and call it a day. Like the elimination of the double wall construction, which only made they outside bigger while reducing the capacity. The fit looks similar to how the Givi V35's fit the hex/cam head R's, I went with the liner bags as well for ease of loading as well as protecting the contents from water.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Thank you very much gentleman for the kind words, I might not always say it, but it's nice to know that my passions and what makes me happy are appreciated by others.

Yes, life hasn't always been easy, still isn't at times of course but I consider myself incredibly lucky to have the life I somehow have. A pinch every now and then is certainly in order. I certainly enjoy making photos and hope that with sharing them others they could be inspired to make the time to enjoy life on two wheels.

Now, go get Lost. :D
Get Lost!
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Here in Spain there are very few BMW Stealers offering a look at and ride on the revolutionary new 2015 R model.
I'm told that in the UK there is not a single "Basic" model to be seen. That's the one finished in Cordoba Blue with the silver forks and none of the electronic gizmo-ry ravished on the models currently available to test ride - the gold-forked top-of-the-range variant that features in every single dealer showroom who has any in stock, and in every single press and U-Toob review.

And how strange that almost none of the above videos and reviews ever mention - including the firm's own brochure details - that this revolutionary, totally re-designed Boxer now has a WET clutch and that the silencer and drive train at the back end have swapped places - why ??

And can you discover ANYWHERE whether the battery is still located inaccessibly beneath the tank ? NO !

Once again it seems that the Munich money-making machine is moving heaven and earth to ensure that prospective buyers of a 2015 R bike can only opt for the fully-electronic'ed version with the gold forks, now selling at the ridiculous price of 15 grand in sterling, that's over 20 grand in euro and dollar currencies.

As compared to the comparatively competitively priced "Basic" model in blue at 10 grand - when even that price is scandalous. Twice the price of an all-electronic'ed powerful Jap roadster.

Maybe I have to go in person to Munich or Berlin to get a Basic model, or wait a year or two to pick up a used one for a slightly more sensible price.

AL in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Brilliantly detailed info accompanying your enthusiastic thoroughgoing review of this new bike.
One question please - is the battery still under the tank ? In other words, is a BMW boxer still the only production bike made whereby to replace or service the battery, the entire fuel tank has to be removed ?

Regards from sunny Andalucia,
AL in s.e. Spain
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

The battery is easy to access under the seat.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Yeah, the battery is under the seat, though access to it is from the side. The positive terminal on the battery is buried and you need to pull the battery out to get to it, but it's not too hard. BMW installed a positive "jump" terminal right on the outside near the negative post on the battery, that's where I tapped into for the SAE tail I installed for heated gear, tire pump, etc.
It's one 25T screw to remove the panel, tool included in the kit stored in the pan of the pillion seat.
Take about 30 seconds to get to it for things like jump starting fellow riders on the side of the road. :mrgreen:

Also, having liquid cooling sure was good in this event, I let it sit and idle for about 15 minutes to charge up his bike, fan kicked in and temp hovered at 210ºF. :mrgreen:

From my point of view, BMW has finally given RR lovers a choice in suspension, for years I've complained that we're stuck with needing to upgrade asap the suspension with no factory choices. The previous ESA wasn't an upgrade in performance, just in convenience. Now, for me at least, I paid about $1600 up front and have suspension that feels as good as Ohlins, with the convenience of ESA. That's still cheaper than Ohlins plus I get all the other goodies, for "free", if you look at it from a "suspension" upgrade option point of view. Remember, with the "touring package", you get a center stand ($350) and tail rack/grid ($400), both things that were a must have for me anyways, plus cruise control so in the end all the goodies cost about $800 more than the basic model I would have need to buy things for.
Besides more profit, I also think BMW is pushing the Dynamic in all the demo bikes because it alleviates fork dive for those concerned about losing the tele lever. Of course they want people to test ride the bike that obviously feels better on the road and unless folks are planning to upgrade/change the suspension it's a no brainer to get the Dynamic from the start.
You don't have to use the traction control, quick shift, etc if you don't want. Granted I haven't priced out a replacement shock yet, I'm sure it will be pricey, but at least the forks can be serviced.
Anyone can custom order their R too if you're not in a hurry and just get the options you want.

I'd say reviewers have left out the obvious of the exhaust and para lever swapped because it doesn't matter except that it different.
I would have preferred the exhaust to be a little lower so there was't a small cutout on the pannier, but it is what it is. I'd imagine that's a design thing to make the bike more attractive to a wider audience.
The wet clutch, with the larger flywheel on the RR is nice to use, engine braking isn't so abrupt, acceleration is predictable and fun too.
The amount of force needed to pull in the clutch lever is also greatly improved compared to my 07' R, maybe part design, maybe partly due to the age and miles on my 07'.

Here's my invoice, which I got a decent discount from. Premium bike, premium cost, and to me worth every penny I borrowed to buy it. :D
I could have lived without the extra $1000 for keyless ride, shift assist and headlight pro, but over the lifetime of this bike those little things and the enjoyment I get from them makes it all OK.
Cost and value is certainly quite subjective though, this is my main daily transportation on top of my getting "lost" bike, so to me in the big picture of car cost the R1200R is very economical.

Get Lost!
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Thanks "Lost" - what a gent; excellent detail and wise advice. Yes, the first thing you notice when you get on any bike is where do you put the things you'll need to take with you anywhere, or fetch from places. So a tankbag, or topbox, and/or saddlebags and their commensurate rail fitments all start to feature strongly in what extras you really, really need.

My local dealer here in Spain wants a grand in euro just for me to place an order - in the UK the upfront pay before you get anywhere near the bike is £500. Then presumably they get onto their national office who then gets onto Berlin to say "build and finish a bike to this spec." Which takes how long ? 2 months ?

So much for "Just-In-Time" production philosophy re impulse buying.

In short I just wish that BMW Stealers selling brand new bikes would simply invest in a tad more stock - so that prospectives like me can swing a leg over a bike, buzz around on it for an hour or three and if they like it, end up with the variant of that model which they can afford, not the top-of-the-range item that's the only one available for tryout and which the salesperson pushes purely via 36 month finance - for yet another personal commission.

So I'll wait until the 2015 R appears on the used marketplace.
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Re: A Water Cooled Lost R1200R

Post by celticus »

That is a cool picture Joe. Good one.

Image[/quote]
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Rrider
Donating Member #: 744

Post by Rrider »

Very very cool. The blue and gold reflecting off the water is a nice touch. That photo ought to be big and on a wall somewhere.
07 Black R1200R
Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Post by Bill Stevenson »

Joe,

Thanks for your very thorough review of the new R1200R. I have a couple of questions. First, I have been suffering from hand tremors that affect my ability to manipulate the clutch. Do you feel that the new clutch system could be helpful to me? Second, do you miss Telelever?

Thanks,

Bill
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Thank you celticus and Rrider, that's my favorite photo of the new R and I'm glad you like!

Bill, I certainly think that not needing to use the clutch except to get started in first could be very helpful if you're having issues with your hand. Granted, we can already shift without using the clutch on any RR, but it takes pretty precise throttle control and timing, with the shift assist, no thought needed and it's perfect every time. You need to be accelerating or decelerating for the quick shift to work smoothly, if the throttle is in a neutral position then it does't like that. It also isn't as smooth when trying to downshift while accelerating, like to pass. It does it, but not as smooth as shifting up while accelerating, or down when slowing down.
As I said, the clutch lever pull is easier on the new R compared to my 07', maybe a little easier than on the NineT too.
I've been wanting to put together a video while riding to demonstrate the shift assist but work keeps getting in the way, hopefully soon.

It seems many dealers have 12R demo bikes, hopefully you have one close by so you can try it out for yourself.... bring your checkbook. :lol:
Get Lost!
PhilSB
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by PhilSB »

I took my 07 bike in for service and MOT (annual test) and borrowed the demo bike as a loaner. That turned out very expensive :? . I've just ordered a Sport with lots of whistles and bells. To be honest I can't really justify the expense, but what the hell someones got to get the nations economy moving (that's my excuse anyway).
Delivery is for June and will cost me £13,500. Dealers here don't seem to stock bikes. :(
I had a run out Sunday with a Sunbeam classic bike club, 2degreesC and an inch of slush on the road. great!! :( Tan Hill Englands highest pub. Thank goodness for heated grips and waistcoat, Sunbeams have only just enough electric to run :lol:

Roll on June.

Phil
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

Great revue but why am I not seeing some of the photos? Just a box with a ? in the middle...
PhilSB
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by PhilSB »

I found it frustrating choosing the factory options. On the Exclusive in the Comfort Package I don't want Chrome exhausts or TP Control, In Dynamic Package I'm not interested in Daytime Riding Lights or LED Indicators (standard indicators would seem to be quite adequate) - I would need the Touring screen and not Sport screen.

On the Sport Premium pack Pannier Fastenings are not needed (I only do day runs- family problems limit my touring :( ), GPS Prep for£130 seems pricey- managed my own on my old bike.
Still it's only money :D My insurance was due soon, the old 07 bike £108 and a quote for the new one £196. Not too bad I thought.

Now to be patient and wait for delivery - build week 21 in May so hopefully early June .

Phil
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Yep, the gold forks is what makes that blue color really pop.

Went to the beemer store...Either the shop got a new one, or fitted the forks to the one that was in already.......either way, thats the difference in looks to me-its gorgeous. Original shop owners had just retired, so New salesman, still learning. He Had trouble telling me things I didn't know... that part was kinda sad, really. Sad enough that the 17k price just didn't seem right.

Also, not so keen on the plastic tank. It felt a bit "dirtbikey" Not that its bad or anything...but again: 17k.....and I'm an incurable cheapskate. :lol:

On the flip-side, I did fiddle with a LOADED electric blue GS. And, at 24k, the 17k seemed like elementary school milkmoney :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ill be damned if I dont want both of them though! 8)
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Congrats Phil!

May your wait time go fast for you...

MrPMS, photo links fixed.
Last edited by Lost Rider on Sun May 17, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get Lost!
peels
Basic User

Re: The 2015 R1200R Owners Thread

Post by peels »

oh man, very cool.

I agree, indeed, GOOD point on the plastic tank. ESPECIALLY for one who pushes their bike like you do. 8)

after looking through your pics again, thats EXACT same price for the one I looked at. And am totally convinced on the gold forks. MUST have them if you get the blue color.

safe travels!
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Re: The 2015 R1200R Owners Thread

Post by famousperson »

What a gorgeous, gorgeous bike! That blue is spectacular. It wasn't until I read your review that I had any yearning at all for a new bike. I was perfectly happy with my beloved '07 R1200R. What need to replace the perfect motorcycle? Well, now there is. I want one that is more better. Perfecter. I want your bike!

Thanks a pants full for the great pictures and write-ups. :) :) obviously a trip to the dealer is in the offing. Keep on enjoying!!

Peter
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)