Adventure riding on a R12R?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Tarmac
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Adventure riding on a R12R?

Post by Tarmac »

I've got a '07 R12R, my buddy just got a V-Strom and wants to do some adventure riding. Can I slap some tires on it and go for it? What type of tires?

Thanks!
Tarmac
... where the rubber meets the road

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
David R
Basic User

Re: Adventure riding on a R12R?

Post by David R »

Any motorcycle ride is an adventure.

Can you ride dirt? Yes, be careful, your bike weighs a little more than the V.

I find my R1200R does FAR better on dirt roads than my R1100RT.

David
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

finding an aggressive or even semi aggressive tire for the R1200R is a task if you want to stick to the OEM sizes. The PR3 and I imagine the 4 do a good job on dry hard pack dirt but are a handful on mud,wet grass or gravel. The ergonomics of the R is pretty close to the GS so your not giving away much in that area. Other than tires most of the GS stuff bolts to the R as far as protection from stuff off the road or tip overs, the skid plate is a necessity as the oil filter is exposed to road stuff.
You can do it but you really have to pay attention. IMHO

IT would be interesting to know what tires people have found for moderate off road riding? :?:

Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I would try Scrambler Ducati's rear tire - Pirelli MT60RS 180/55ZR17.
For the front tire I don't know.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

saw these when I was shopping the other day, and daydreamed :) but they dont make a front in our size...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/57 ... -rear-tire

or find some full-on (as the english say) "KNOBBLIES" and go bananas! lol
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

I bought my R while living in Alaska and have used it a fair amount on dirt roads. I have a friend that lives in AK still and she has been to Deadhorse and Inuvik on her R.

My friend and I have used Dunlop 616s with good results, but they are no longer being produced. The Avon Distenza was a good dirt tire, but is no longer made in the sizes we need. I made a trip from MT to AK on a set of Pirelli Scorpions and rode about 500 miles on dirt. They were okay, not great. They were down to the cords when I got home after 6000 miles. The Scorpion Trail fits the rear and looks like a better choice. I have not tried them, but my friend has and she loved them. The TKC80s will fit, but will not wear well on pavement, especially the rear. We can only hope the new TKC70s will come in the sizes we need. There may still be some 616s out there as well. Maybe a TKC80 on the front and a Scorpion Trail on the rear.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

The guy you want to ask is Joe Finn, aka "Lost Rider" here. He travelled MANY MANY thousands of off-road miles in places GS guys were afraid to go with his '07 R1200R. IIRC - Joe used Pirelli Scorpions. If you do a bit of searching here, and on ADVRider - you'll find some stories with wonderful photos to go with them of Joe's off-road adventuring. They make for very good reading.

He seems to have settled down a tiny bit since he partnered with Nancy, but not a lot. His latest posting here has him going off-road on his new waterhead R12R..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

deilenberger wrote:The guy you want to ask is Joe Finn, aka "Lost Rider" here. He travelled MANY MANY thousands of off-road miles in places GS guys were afraid to go with his '07 R1200R. IIRC - Joe used Pirelli Scorpions. If you do a bit of searching here, and on ADVRider - you'll find some stories with wonderful photos to go with them of Joe's off-road adventuring. They make for very good reading.

He seems to have settled down a tiny bit since he partnered with Nancy, but not a lot. His latest posting here has him going off-road on his new waterhead R12R..
+1
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Tarmac
Basic User

Post by Tarmac »

Wow, he's still around? Sorry, I haven't been on this site in a couple years. Now I remember him posting pics of doing river crossings, and crazy stuff. I'm probably going to to stick to gravel, and hard packed dirt roads.

Touartech doesn't list a belly pan for the R12R, can I fit one from a GS on?

Would this fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R1200GS-Und ... a1&vxp=mtr

EDIT: This is where my buddy wants to go. It doesn't look that bad too me.
Tarmac

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I also have an 07, all the GS stuff bolts right on:

That's a decent price for the skid plate. All the mounting hardware can be purchased from a BMW dealer'

This is a good deal for the engine protectors;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Engine-Guar ... 4641&rt=nc
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Tarmac
Basic User

Post by Tarmac »

Thanks!
Tarmac

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Tarmac wrote:Wow, he's still around? Sorry, I haven't been on this site in a couple years. Now I remember him posting pics of doing river crossings, and crazy stuff. I'm probably going to to stick to gravel, and hard packed dirt roads.

Touartech doesn't list a belly pan for the R12R, can I fit one from a GS on?

Would this fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R1200GS-Und ... a1&vxp=mtr

EDIT: This is where my buddy wants to go. It doesn't look that bad too me.
That's the same one Harry and I have. It is a great price for it (mine was better a little better - a friend gave it to me..) You'll have to visit BMW to get the mounting bits. Just get the ones used on the GS, and it will bolt right up.

BTW - Harry - your picture must be from right after you put it on.. the bike is WAY too clean.. :) My cylinder head fins have discolored to a dull gray, and there is grime in the oil-sump fins that is never coming off. Since we have the same miles and I know you're not a fair-weather only rider - I'm guessing that is a somewhat old picture.. :) If not - how about doing the club's March tech session - on "How to clean Don's bike?".. I'll provide pizza/beer and a warm garage.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Caught me Don. That skid plate doesn't look like that either, it's amazing how ripped up it got. Although I've done a fair amount of gravel I don't remember hitting anything really big.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

My ears were burning... :mrgreen:

It's my position in this day and age that type of tires have little to do with how a 12R handles on (dry) dirt, gravel or hardpack. You can't change the suspension, the geometry or the front tire size so having marginally more traction on dirt which sacrifices tarmac traction isn't worth worrying about it too much IMHO. Even with big knobs like on a TKC, the tire width and size make it less than ideal and nothing like the same tire on a dirt bike in performance.

My advice is to lower the tire pressure to about 22 in the front and 26 in the rear with whatever tires you got for exploring gravel roads and take a professional off road training course.
I'm quite a different rider now than I was when I started dual sporting my R, situations that used to seem insanely impossible are now effortless. I used to drop my bike countless times a day when off tarmac, now I never do.
I have learned balance and (clutch, throttle) control, if you have those then you can overcome the shortcomings bikes designed for the street have when on dirt. Without those skills it won't matter much what tires you run. Take a Jimmy Lewis class or the like, learn how to balance the bike and dirt riding on the 12R will be much safer and enjoyable. Slapping TKC's on it doesn't make it a dual sport, knowing how to ride it does. :D

It's safe to say the 15' RR is just as capable as light duty dual sport, as is the NineT. :mrgreen:

Get Lost!
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

My ears were burning... :mrgreen:

It's my position in this day and age that type of tires have little to do with how a 12R handles on (dry) dirt, gravel or hardpack. You can't change the suspension, the geometry or the front tire size so having marginally more traction on dirt which sacrifices tarmac traction isn't worth worrying about it too much IMHO. Even with big knobs like on a TKC, the tire width and size make it less than ideal and nothing like the same tire on a dirt bike in performance.

My advice is to lower the tire pressure to about 22 in the front and 26 in the rear with whatever tires you got for exploring gravel roads and take a professional off road training course.
I'm quite a different rider now than I was when I started dual sporting my R, situations that used to seem insanely impossible are now effortless. I used to drop my bike countless times a day when off tarmac, now I never do. (OK, deep still sand gets me sometimes, but certainly not a anything hard or loose) ;)
I have learned balance and (clutch, throttle) control, if you have those then you can overcome the shortcomings bikes designed for the street have when on dirt. Without those skills it won't matter much what tires you run. Take a Jimmy Lewis class or the like, learn how to balance the bike and dirt riding on the 12R will be much safer and enjoyable. Slapping TKC's on it doesn't make it a dual sport, knowing how to ride it does. :D

By all means GO FOR IT!

It's safe to say the 15' RR is just as capable as light duty dual sport as the trusty 07', as is the NineT. :mrgreen:

Get Lost!