MRA X-creen w/ Cee Baileys Sport Shield?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

AlecMyrddyn
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1022

MRA X-creen w/ Cee Baileys Sport Shield?

Post by AlecMyrddyn »

Hi all;

With the New England weather hinting at the roads being rideable soon, my thoughts have turned to wind protection.

After buying my 2011 R1200R, I picked up a Cee Baileys Sport Shield that mounts to the BMW Sport Screen bracket. It helps keep more wind off my chest, but unfortunately it creates nasty buffeting for both myself and my passenger.

I like the BMW Sport Screen in the summer, but would love to have a bit more protection in the cooler months. I'm thinking of trying to add the MRS X-creen Tour to the Cee Baileys shield. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can it cure the buffeting, or should I go the alternate route and consider trimming the Cee Baileys to a shorter height instead?

Appreciate any feedback and experience anyone has.

Thanks.

-Alec
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Re: MRA X-creen w/ Cee Baileys Sport Shield?

Post by MTBeemer »

I have the MRA screen on two bikes, but not my R12R. I have the touring size on my FJR and it works well. I have it bolted on rather than clamped. The bolt on version gives you a much larger range of adjustment options. Spousal Unit has a Sport clamp on version that she moves between her F650GS and F800GS. She is okay with the results, but not tickled. If you decide to try the MRA then get the touring size and bolt it on. I am planning to add one to the Scout fairing on my R.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
SL
Basic User

Post by SL »

Sorry to disagree and I may be wrong , but , I believe the clamp on type is more adjustable like this one posted at the other forum
http://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/bmw-r1 ... rgo-17546/

I have the same one on my Parabellum

MTBeemer wrote:I have the MRA screen on two bikes, but not my R12R. I have the touring size on my FJR and it works well. I have it bolted on rather than clamped. The bolt on version gives you a much larger range of adjustment options. Spousal Unit has a Sport clamp on version that she moves between her F650GS and F800GS. She is okay with the results, but not tickled. If you decide to try the MRA then get the touring size and bolt it on. I am planning to add one to the Scout fairing on my R.
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

I have the X-Screen on a Cee Baileys sport shield, I have the bolt on one. A couple of observations;
1. The Cee Bailys shield is not as thick as I would like it to be, even without the extension it does flex at the top. I believe that the flex is due to the thickness of the material, the low mounting points, and how upright the shield is.
2. I have begun to experiment with tilting the shield to a less vertical position, that has seemed to reduce the flexing.
3. I am using the single adjustment mount, which only allows for a tilt adjustment no vertical adjustment. The double adjustable mount which allows for vertical/tilt adjustment is too long for use on this shield, at the mid-point the shield is a little more than 2" away from the shield. I also mounted it lower than the instructions called for, being 5'7" using standard height seats I can look over it and it will deflect the bugs above my faceshield (nothing like watching the splatter front and center).
Like every windshield there is an increase in noise, the air has to go somewhere the more you displace the more you are going to hear. If you are not sure spend the extra money and buy the clamp-on model (it includes the bolt-on mounts) then you can try before commiting to drilling the windshield and if it does not work you can use on another bike or recoup some of the cost by reselling it.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA