bike not starting issues

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

zackvis
Basic User

bike not starting issues

Post by zackvis »

heeeelp please
I want to go for a ride this morning .my bike would not start .clik click click that's it the lights and and electronics goes out too .I do not suspect the battery as I jumped it with my car and does the same .2 do not suspect the the starter motor as the voltage stays at 12volt on the thick red when trying to start .the voltage to the solenoid is low when the button is pressed. So what ever feeds the 12volt to the solenoid and the lights and dash (rev counter speedo ect,) fails as I press the starter button .Im a sparky ad have a fair amount of electrical knowledge. Any ideas ?
thanks.
vwdoctor
Basic User

Re: bike not starting issues

Post by vwdoctor »

Try jumping small starter wire (the spade connector, on the starter) to the large "always on" lug with the nut on it.
Maybe somebody has a picture. This would tell you if the starter and battery are OK. If it spins your problem is between the button and the small spade connector wiring.
04 Rockster (non ABS, single spark)
91 K75RT

I want to be unique, just like everybody else.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

The starter relay is a rather low failure rate item.. I'd be checking you connections to the battery and to the starter. If you do determine it's the starter relay, it's inside the black case and is actually a rather common relay, you may be able to order one from a friendly local auto-parts dealer (one where mechanics go to get stuff.) There will be ID marks on the relay case (which from memory is green..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
zackvis
Basic User

Post by zackvis »

I it was the battery after all .Strange symtoms thou .Put in a SSB lithuim battery 290cca weights only 1kg and 40% smaller .Im very impress with the way it cranks over.
Problem solved.