New to me '07 r1200r non abs, just a few questions please

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

butcherandthelamb
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

New to me '07 r1200r non abs, just a few questions please

Post by butcherandthelamb »

I picked up the bike on Tuesday with 13,000 and went for a nice 150 mile ride yesterday. It looks like I'm going to need a few minor upgrades. I've searched around some and haven't been able to find exact answers so I call upon those in this forum with their wisdom and experience.

First up is bar risers- I'm wondering is those that have installed them have had to get a new, longer brake line? It looks like I've got a little bit of play and I'm thinking of going with a set of 2" rox risers.

This is a bare bones model, no abs, traction or stability control. Any idea if the front and rear brakes are still linked if I pull on the lever?

With this being the bare bones model, I'm going to assume it has the CANBUS system. Has anyone ever swapped their brake light for one from Superbrightleds.com? Supposedly they are plug and play but my r1150r would throw up an error message.

Last but not least, for those using headlight modulators, which ones do you prefer and which model fits?

Thanks for any and all info.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: New to me '07 r1200r non abs, just a few questions pleas

Post by dbrick »

butcherandthelamb wrote:I picked up the bike on Tuesday with 13,000 and went for a nice 150 mile ride yesterday. It looks like I'm going to need a few minor upgrades. I've searched around some and haven't been able to find exact answers so I call upon those in this forum with their wisdom and experience.
Welcome aboard! It's a great bike. Still, everyone has a "few minor upgrades... :D
First up is bar risers- I'm wondering is those that have installed them have had to get a new, longer brake line? It looks like I've got a little bit of play and I'm thinking of going with a set of 2" rox risers.
There's no definitive answer to this one. Most of us have found that some riser-ness can be accommodated without a brake line change. The Rox risers are very adjustable; my friend Rad has a set on his '07 and likes them; he didn't need to extend the brake line, but he also replaced the handlebar itself, which might affect the fit as well. Custom replacement lines are easily available in the aftermarket (Spiegler, for instance) and often from industrial-supply hose shops, too.
This is a bare bones model, no abs, traction or stability control. Any idea if the front and rear brakes are still linked if I pull on the lever?
I don't know. I'd guess that they're not connected.
With this being the bare bones model, I'm going to assume it has the CANBUS system.
Yes. All Hexheads are wired via Canbus.
Has anyone ever swapped their brake light for one from Superbrightleds.com? Supposedly they are plug and play but my r1150r would throw up an error message.
The r1150r has a different type (non-Canbus) of wiring system; its displaying an error message doesn't necessarily mean a Canbus system will do so, or won't. What you want is that enhancements like this are designed to play well with a Canbus system. I wanted more rear light over a broader area, and got a get of Skene P3s.
Last but not least, for those using headlight modulators, which ones do you prefer and which model fits?
I had so-so luck with a Kisan, and how the front of the bike also wears Skene Photon Boosters in the front.
Thanks for any and all info.
You're welcome!
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
zackvis
Basic User

Post by zackvis »

hi
you will definitely need a longer brake cable with the 2 inch risers .1 inch is ok but not 2.I used the rox with anti vibrate inserts and had to grind the nuts down under the risers as well .you are better off with the 1 inch risers.
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I think all the 2007's had abs. Been standard on BMW for a while. The brakes are linked standard too. I have no traction control on my 08, but I do have ABS and linked brakes. Is the owners manual still under the seat?

I changed my handlebars and added risers. I was able to reroute the lines without changing to longer ones.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

John,

ABS was actually optional in '07, through the OP's is the first bike I've run across that didn't have it.

-David
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
stratus17
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by stratus17 »

Well, I just bought a 2008 R1200R non ABS also. The previous owner bought it in Italy. I live in Switzerland, where all new BMW motorcycles are sold with ABS. But this is a Swiss importer decision, not a legal obligation.
Ray R
Basic User

Post by Ray R »

I have a 2007 R12R I bought new without ABS. The brakes are not linked.

Easy way to tell if you have a center stand. Apply one of the brake levers and see which wheels won't spin. :D
R1200R, R1200RT, R1200GSA, R100Mystic, R90S, R100RS, R100RS CFO
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

butcherandthelamb wrote: Last but not least, for those using headlight modulators, which ones do you prefer and which model fits?
I've had good luck (and long use) from a Kisan which is plug and play.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!