Sidestand (Kickstand) modification

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Sidestand (Kickstand) modification

Post by Shakey »

I am around 8 weeks shy of a left hip replacement and have been finding the bike a bit much to manage lately. Riding is fine but when I stop or want to park things get a bit painful and tricky.

One thing I miss on the R is the little peg sticking out of the sidestand to allow you to kick it down easily and I've been trying to find a way to fit one for months. I couldn't find an aftermarket replacement and whils I know the new GS stand has one I tink it is a longer stand. I could maybe get something welded on but as I rely on the strength of the stand to mount the bike by standing on the peg I don't want to do anything that might compromise it.

So yesterday I was rummaging through my tool box drawers looking for something completely unconnected when I found this old RAM mount;

Using the universal U bolt supplied made it easy to fit;

I positioned it so that it's concealed by the footpeg but I just need to push the peg back with my heel to find the ball and kick the stand down;

It won't win any beauty prizes but it's really functional and a massive help to me :D

Smugness abounds :D
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Re: Sidestand (Kickstand) modification

Post by Catchina »

That is a clever use of the old ram mount, nice job and best of luck with the hip surgery.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

So you're pre op or post op? Good luck with the case and the rehab!

Your post hit a nerve though. I, too, miss that little nub on the sidestand, present on the 1150. That is an excellent idea and, although I am now accustomed to the stand, your idea will make life easier.
Thanks, Shakey

Does it get in the way at all while riding? Looks like your sweet spot for it is under the rear peg?
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Post by Shakey »

Hi all. I'm pre-op at the moment so not riding as much as I'd like so I can't comment about it getting in the way. I originally had it so it sat between the peg and the gear shift but it was pretty obvious that it might interfere with upshifts. The final position as shown resolves that and means that I can find it with my foot without having to look for it.

I'm also nursing a trapped nerve in my shoulder right now :roll: so probably won't get to ride it until I take it into the shop for its annual Ministry of Transport test ("MOT") in a couple of weeks.
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Great minds and all that. I've had a spare Wilber's shock reservoir mount, made to clamp on a frame tube, in about the same place on my sidestand since shortly after I got the bike.. it serves the same purpose. I can put the stand down easily by catching it with the heel of my boot. Took about 2 minutes to install. Too bad someone doesn't make an actual thingie to serve this purpose..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!