Third fuel strip in 600 miles

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Third fuel strip in 600 miles

Post by mogu83 »

OK Don - sounds like a plan
Complaint number 11030086

Riding on the highway at 65MPH the fuel gauge showed slightly less than 1/4 tank, the computer showed 50+ miles of gas left. The engine quit and I had to slowly drift across 3 lanes of traffic to get to the shoulder. The tank was empty.

Actually I haven't trusted the fuel gauge from day one, and just fill up at 200 miles. But as you posted I did pay for it, and it would be nice if it worked.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Thanks Harry!
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
GTS29640

Post by GTS29640 »

The fuel strip I have now works (sort of) so I doubt I could file anything with NHTSA. It stays on full or near full for most of the tank and then falls off like a rock. Kind of like gas gauges in older GM cars.

I'm ignorant of the law but the cynical side of me has to wonder why BMW offered the extended warranty. It's not like them to admit there's a problem and then try to make good on it. I can't help but wonder if the extended warranty gets them off the legal hook for a recall and they determined this was a lower cost option??
Gary

2007 R1200R
1995 HD FXD
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

GTS29640 wrote:...the cynical side of me has to wonder why BMW offered the extended warranty. It's not like them to admit there's a problem and then try to make good on it. I can't help but wonder if the extended warranty gets them off the legal hook for a recall and they determined this was a lower cost option??
Read deilenberger's Sept. 25 post on page 1 of this thread. The extended warranty is a PR tactic to avoid the legal hook of a recall. BMW has been successful so far; Don's point is that sufficient pressure on NHTSA has, in other similar cases with BMW and other manufacturers, achieved a much better result - a permanent fix that works.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Patch
Lifer
Donating Member #: 975

Post by Patch »

mogu83 wrote:
Actually I haven't trusted the fuel gauge from day one, and just fill up at 200 miles.
After my 4th straight failure way back several years ago I simply stopped having it replaced as I don't think could never bring myself to trust it.

Agreed it'd be nice to have it working - but trust it again, never (for me)
2011 R1200 R
Kobe22
Basic User

Post by Kobe22 »

Deilenberger, thanks for the reminder.

Complaint Number 11046635!
Now that I've put up do I still have to shut up or was that my ticket to complain to my hearts content lol!? :?
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

Kobe22 wrote:Deilenberger, thanks for the reminder.

Complaint Number 11046635!
Now that I've put up do I still have to shut up or was that my ticket to complain to my hearts content lol!? :?
Complain to your hearts content.
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Well -- after ten years and 130,000 miles the fuel gauge gremlin finally showed its ugly head in my gas tank.
At the start of a Veterans day ride I noted that the tank showed full but the odometer showed 125 miles. I don't use the Beemer around town so it was a few weeks had passed since it was out. Figuring I had forgot to reset it I zeroed the odometer. 145 miles later I noticed that the gauge still showed fill to the top, being an astute motorcyclist I concluded something was amiss. I pulled into the first station and put 5.8 gallons into the tank. When I started the bike the fuel gauge showed empty and the low fuel light was on. I was in Northcentral Pennsylvania, the temps were in the low 20,s and cell service was spotty at best, I could have been in trouble.
I dread going back to the dealer, for the flange recall they told me I had an oil pressure problem. The tech (I use the term loosely) had turned the ignition on and noticed the red oil light (motor wasn't running), the service manager came into the waiting room and announced I had a major problem. I had to drag it out of them as to why they originally told me I had a problem.
On the front brake line recall they told me I had a rear main seal leak. I told them I just came back from a 7K ride out West, high speeds and temps and had not washed the bike. I asked to see the problem, what I saw was oil sweating thru a gasket near the transmission, not a leak or even seepage. That was over 50K ago and the bike still doesn't have any leaks.
I wish they would just give me the new fuel strip and I'd install and calibrate it myself.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Kobe22
Basic User

Post by Kobe22 »

Man! I'm glad to hear instinct kept you safe. The problem though is the voodoo queen makes similar promises as regards her sharpened instinct and I passed on her motorcycle offerings. WE DESERVE BETTER. I shouldn't need telekinesis to cross State boundaries. Perhaps I missed the subsection in the terms and conditions that addressed requirement of telepathy for operation! Prior to my own guilty charge I called it the stare of shame. I'd observe someone filling their car/bike by the roadside, look mournfully and bemoan mans general and collective recklessness in endangerment.
Since my encounters in Tarsus I also preach the gospel! :D SMH!
Mine was replaced per my previous post a couple months ago, first week into riding and I noticed my tank seemed magically filled to max without necessity for fuel stops according to my reserve indicator. Naturally I didn't entertain the probability of German engineerings solving the remote-fueling problem and somehow demo-ing it on my roadster for very long! After getting stranded TWICE from the readjustment to completely ignoring my fuel strip I'm back to my only benefit from the work being the absence of the dashboard warning. It's as if your wifes NOT screwing the neighbor was met with a sigh of relief, having gotten used to the bosses nocturnal visits! Ride safe!