Brake Bite

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Brake Bite

Post by jkhomes »

I was always just okay with the brakes on my 08 R1200R. Don't get me wrong, they are good, but I would like more initial bite and overall stopping power.

With my ABS, it appears the stock brake pads are Brembo's, metallic on the front and organic on the back. The back pads were replaced with OEM at my dealer not too long ago, and the fronts will be coming up soon.

There seem to be some older threads recommending the EBC Double H sintered pads. Any thoughts or recommendations?
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Brake Bite

Post by roger l »

I put the EBC Double H pads on my 2008 R1200R over the winter. This is mt first season using them. They do have a little better bite than the original pads did They do have a "whee" noise when you put on the brakes. I normally wear ear plugs and I can not hear the "whee" noise with the ear plugs in.

Roger L
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

I've used the EBC HH pads on my '07, and at the price BMW gets for the stock pads, I'll likely use them on the '12 when it gets to needing pads. They do have a bit more bite, but that also comes with a tiny bit of grab right as you stop. You can moderate it, but I found with a loaded up bike (when I was going cross-country) the grab was a bit annoying at times.
Last edited by deilenberger on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
GTS29640

Post by GTS29640 »

The owners manual for my '07 says it has organic pads on the rear. The bike has integral braking with ABS. If you change to a sintered pad on the rear which will give more grab/bite aren't you changing the front to rear brake bias that's designed into the system? I'm not sure I'd want to do that. And, given the amount of wear the rear rotor has made me want to stay with organic. Maybe I'm missing something.
Gary

2007 R1200R
1995 HD FXD
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Thanks everyone. Riding my other bike (HP4) has really changed my perspective on brakes. I never minded the ones on my R1200R until then.

GTS, Since I just overpayed for OEM brake pads on the rear, I was thinking of just adding the sintered pads to the front when that comes up. Even if I was changing the back only, I bet it would take a lot more than sintered pads to change the brake bias from the front to the rear.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

+1 on the EBC HH pads. I think the price you pay for the better feeling rear brake is increased brake rotor wear, but if you use the EBC rotor to replace the OEM one it's still a better deal than the stock pads.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358