"MV lifting handle"??

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

"MV lifting handle"??

Post by deilenberger »

Anyone used one of these? http://www.bmwmotorcycleaccessories.com ... -10145.htm

Shown on a GS, but there are pics around of it on the R12R, right near the bottom port side-panel mounting screw.

Or this one from Touratech?

The reason it's needed is the MachineArts inner fender liner in the rear mounts right where I'd normally grab the frame to lift the bike on the centerstand, or lift it off.. so..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: "MV lifting handle"??

Post by dbrick »

I have the MachineArtMoto fender liner ("Mudsling") - I think that's what you're talking about - and it doesn't interfere at all with grabbing the bike when I'm putting it on the center stand.

I think the aft structure of the '07 bikes and your new Camhead is the same. I looked at the MAM website, and the two Mudslings look the same. When center-standing the bike, I put my hand on the front (more horizontal) part of the frame loop that holds the muffler mount. It falls readily to hand.

Where are you putting your hand?
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Hi David,

I'm using the main frame tube - right where the Mudsling attaches with the two tie-wraps. For me - that is just the right height to grab and yank upward to get it onto the centerstand (or off) - the other tube for the exhausts mount is a bit low, meaning I have to lean over to grab it (short arms?) putting me at an awkward angle to apply upward force. The MV handle attaches on the bit of main frame tube just to the left of the Mudsling mounting (just to the right of the screw position for the side panel.) There is a photo of it mounted to a R12R on the interwebz - but not in a linkable format unfortunately.
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

Ah. I have to slouch just a bit too, but that's easier for me than locating and manipulating a moveable handle.
The it's-just-there quality of holding the frame loop is easier, at least for me.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

dbrick wrote:Ah. I have to slouch just a bit too, but that's easier for me than locating and manipulating a moveable handle.
The it's-just-there quality of holding the frame loop is easier, at least for me.
Ummm... David - didn't you own a K75 for many years? The one with the built-in folding lift handle? ;)
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

I did. But the R is easier because I don't have to fiddle with the handle. Grip (it's already in place) and go.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

deilenberger wrote:Or this one from Touratech?
The bottom of the linked page says it's from MV Verholen.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

Just FYI, I have the Mudsling and don't have a problem with finding something to grab for levering the bike onto the center stand. Do you have the luggage rack? I usually grab the part where the passenger would hold on to. It's accessible even with the side cases on. Maybe that's different for the newer model? YMMV.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Hi Harald,

That's a bit awkward for me.. short arms and hard to provide any lifting motion. One other thing that comes into the equation is I have a lowered suspension, but the stock height centerstand - so I'm lifting the rear of the bike a greater distance then normal. With the stock suspension it's much easier to get on the centerstand. Wish someone had a short centerstand (and sidestand) to sell.. (BMW does - but they want silly money for them..)
Mustang Man
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Mustang Man »

I have the handle from Wunderlich. I mounted it as they suggested. It is on the vertical frame strut above the passenger foot peg support. I also have a Mud sling. There is no interference. Works great. Part number 8500141. It's a bit pricey. $139.00.
Good luck...
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Mustang Man - THANKS! That's exactly what I hoped to hear. Now I just have to sell the '07 so I can finish farkling up the '12..
Martyn
Basic User

Post by Martyn »

I can't give you a direct reply, in that I haven't bought such a handle.
I can tell you that I've bought several MV products over the years, & found them to be well thought out & beautifully finished.
I am sure this would be the same.
Martyn Hillier, Cheltenham, UK.
1979 R100RT, 2013 R1200RT, 2014 R1200R & 2016 R1200RT Iconic.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Mustang Man - got the MV one for Christmas, installed it, then removed it. IMHO - bad design for the R1200R. The only mounting place is next to the screw at the bottom of the side panel, which is considerably forward of the frame member I normally use for lifting. This means I'm lifting more dead weight with less leverage. The round handle isn't optimal for grip (it tended to rotate in my hand), and seems a bit short. I think I'll look into the Wunderlich one.

All in all - I'm looking into returning the MV handle. It might work great on a GS - not so great on the R12R.

EDIT - looked at the Wunderlich one:

Much better location for it.
Ckaine
Basic User

Post by Ckaine »

I have been using the Wunderlich handle on my older R12R for a number of years. Good Product!
Chris
R1200R Black with stripes(current)
K75 Blue gone
R75/6 Gold gone
850 Norton Black/Gold Gone