Rattle in right cylinder

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

MrPMS
Double Lifer

Rattle in right cylinder

Post by MrPMS »

I have a 2008 R1200R with 41000 previously trouble-free miles. However, on my way back from Billings it began to develop a "rattling' noise in the right cylinder area. It seemed to loudest at part throttle, no load. Dealer checked valve clearances and found all in spec. I now wonder if a tip-over incident during my ride caused internal engine damage; Fully loaded with tank and tail bags, the bike went over on its left side during a u-turn, rotating all the way to past horizontal. Motor raced for 5-10 seconds before I could reach kill switch. Could oil starvation have caused damage on left (high side after tip over) cam chain tensioner/wrist pin/piston/rod bearing???
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Rattle in right cylinder

Post by deilenberger »

It could (good reason for a quality synthetic oil - with a good "extreme pressure" additive package.) The only way to find the cause of the noises is:

1. Run it until something blows up.
or
2. Disassemble and start measuring and looking for bright spots.

You might consider changing the oil and sending a sample to Blackstone. If it's a metal to metal noise, the rubbed off metal will usually end up in the oil, and an analysis may give a clue as to where it's coming from, determined by what metal is found.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

Thanks Don. Oil has already been changed and discarded. As for the long run, I'd be too worried to enjoy the ride! It did run fine for over 1500 miles coming back from Billings but I think a teardown is the next step.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Sorry to hear that. Keep us informed on what's found. That's always been a worry to me - makes me wonder why BMW doesn't look at the tipover/kill-switches that other manufacturers use.
GBag
Basic User

Post by GBag »

Pull the valve cover and check the ribs inside the cover for chips. My 09 went over on the rt side (level ground, side stand, not running????) The cover got scuffed fairly good so I bought a new cover. When I popped the old one off there was a chunk missing from one of the inner ribs. I never found the piece but I also traded the bike shortly after that.
GBag
'08 XL1200 L (Traded), '09 R1200R (Traded), '11 R1200R (riding the hell out of it)
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

Sadly the motor is trashed. Right side rod bearing plus who knows what else. Now considering a good used engine replacement since I have made so many other modifications to the bike and would hate to start over. Any leads out there? I've tried Beemer boneyard already...
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

Wow, that's a bummer....no idea how available BM engine bits are but surely it's worth stripping it down to find out exactly what it needs?
Motors got to come out anyway.....even if it's not economical to repair you can recoup some cash selling of the decent bits.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

If you have insurance on it, including collision - you may be able to collect under the collision part of your policy. They will want some evidence that the tip-over happened.. A good insurance agent can be helpful in this sort of thing.
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

I'm working on the insurance possibilities. Meanwhile I'd really like to find a good replacement engine and have already lined up a great mechanic/ friend to do the work this winter. Any leads would be appreciated. I'm scouring all the sites for possible donors.
I've also ridden the new R12R and RS and prefer my existing bike. Technically they're both better but I like the current bike's looks, setup, accessories, windshield, etc.
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

All of your farkles from your 2008 will fit on a R1200R up to 2014. One option would be to strip off all of the farkles from your existing bike and mount them to a 2014 R1200R. You will get the new cam head engine as well.

Food for Thought
Roger L
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

Really?? Wunderlich tall screen and fork stops, Wilber's front and back, F800ST bars, risers, Remus 2 into 1 pipe, mudguard and engine protectors, etc?
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

Also side and top cases. Actually if the insurance comes through I'm considering a new 2015 R 1200 R. Any thoughts on windshields, short bars etc?
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

MrPMS wrote:Really?? Wunderlich tall screen and fork stops, Wilber's front and back, F800ST bars, risers, Remus 2 into 1 pipe, mudguard and engine protectors, etc?
Tall screen should fit, but may need a different mount. Dunno on fork-stops, Wunderlich should know. Wilbers a direct boltup. Bars unlikely - the post '11 bikes use a thicker tapered bar, and the clamp for them is different so no on the risers also. 2 into 1 pipe - probably, but the later bikes have the servo controlled baffle in the exhaust ahead of the muffler. Not sure how that might change things. Engine protectors - nope. Mudguard - rear tire one? Yup.

So some of your farkles will fit (just been through this going from '07 to '12..)
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

MrPMS wrote:Also side and top cases. Actually if the insurance comes through I'm considering a new 2015 R 1200 R. Any thoughts on windshields, short bars etc?
Top and side no problem, but would have to be rekeyed to the newer bike (PITA job I understand.) As far as a 2015 R1200R/LC - wrong church. There is a new church if you go back up a step for the new bikes.
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

Thanks Don, and all the rest of this group. I'm planning on starting over with the R1200R/LC. I'll remove some of the easier stuff (bags, topcase, liners, windshield, and maybe Wilbers, and make them available to anyone who might be interested. Send me a PM and thanks again for all the help!
GBag
Basic User

Post by GBag »

With the change to the cam head engine they changed the mounting frame for the wind screen. Your old screen will bolt right up to the new frame. My original bike was an '09. I moved up to an '11 and had to wait for the new frame. Ironically the '12 bike was out before the windshield frame for the '11 was available. (say it ain't so?) LOL
GBag
'08 XL1200 L (Traded), '09 R1200R (Traded), '11 R1200R (riding the hell out of it)
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

GBag wrote:With the change to the cam head engine they changed the mounting frame for the wind screen. Your old screen will bolt right up to the new frame. My original bike was an '09. I moved up to an '11 and had to wait for the new frame. Ironically the '12 bike was out before the windshield frame for the '11 was available. (say it ain't so?) LOL
Not quite since he's going for a 2015 R1200R "LC" (liquid cooled) which is an entirely different bike altogether indeed.
racerb
Basic User

Post by racerb »

SO what ya gonna do with the Bike? I'd be interested in the 2008. Let me know the condition and what ya want for it.
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

MrPMS wrote:Sadly the motor is trashed. Right side rod bearing plus who knows what else...
Wow, I would not have thought that something like this can happen so quickly, i.e. from 5-10 seconds of the bike running on its side. Best of luck with the replacement / repair / etc.!
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

I too am surprised about the engine damage after just a few seconds -but- It's actually more than the 5--10 seconds on its side where it likely "revved to the moon" quickly loosing its oil pressure pumping "prime". During that time the oil pump blew air thru the oil lines/passageways and oil filter, increasing the dangerous zero oil pressure run time on the bike's right-side-up engine restart.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--