Rear box mounting

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Eagle6
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Rear box mounting

Post by Eagle6 »

Pick up the new (to me 2012 model) R12 on wednesday and first job is to fit my Holan box (pictured below) to the rear. The bike has no rear rack of any sort fitted so would be obliged of info on available options.
I've priced the OEM rack at about £200 and not that keen as I won't be using panniers in foreseeable future.

2017 R1200R Exclusive rusted away so back with the real thing 2012 R1200R TC
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: Rear box mounting

Post by dbrick »

Hi Eagle6,

That doesn't look like an R-bike to me - the R doesn't have a two-piece seat, nor those stubby turn signal housings, nor pannier mounts like that. Might the bike we're seeing be instead a GS model?

If yours is a GS, I'd ask on a forum that discusses GS bikes, like advrider.com, where you'd find folks with GS experience.

-David
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Eagle6
Basic User

Post by Eagle6 »

That's the box on my current bike a Triumph Explorer 1200. I'll be fitting the box on the R1200R.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Ah! I didn't get that. Sorry.
Perhaps someone here will chime in with the info you need.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

Choices for a rear rack only are limited, but there are a couple;
1. I believe the Hepco Becker rack can be mounted by itself without pannier racks.
2. The Givi Rack for the 2006 - 2010 could be used in conjunction with a flat plate.
3. I also think the SW-Motech Alu-rack toprack, may be the easiest choice you can use.
But I think in all cases the passenger grab handles will have to be removed and you will need the replacement cover that is used with the factory luggage rack about $45.00. All of the above mentioned choices have postives and negatives, from previous reasearch the rails for the side cases use the same part for all years 2006 - 2014 (oilhead models) which would indicate the mounting points are in the same location with the biggest difference being the addition of grab handles on the 2011+ (DOHC) models. The 2006 - 2010 models did not have grab handles from the factory, like the R1150 models it required the factory luggage rails and rack to add grab handles. Good Luck
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
Eagle6
Basic User

Post by Eagle6 »

@ P_Jenson
Thanks for the info.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Have to ask - is there a reason besides owning it already to put that sort of top case on an R1200R? It really is gonna ugly up the bike, and puts all the weight exactly where you don't want it, up high behind the rear wheel axle. Might you be better of selling that to someone into GS bikes and looking at an aftermarket case? There are some decent inexpensive ones available in the US - dunno about the UK, but bet there are some there too.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

BTW - I'm typically form over function kinda guy, but even I have limits (despite what people say..)
Eagle6
Basic User

Post by Eagle6 »

Hi Don, hear what you're saying but I'm the other way - function first and form follows on - that's why I don't have an iPhone :) .
I've got some mounts coming for fitting a "normal" GIVI/Shad top case to the 12R. They will place the box in exactly the same position as a normal case and the Holan box (46 litre) weighs less than a Givi 47 litre case. So there's no problem with weight distribution.
It's a very practical shape and it's amazing how much more you can fit in over a "styled" case. Lots of people seem to fit the Pelican cases which are similar.
Cosmetically, I'm going to to carbon wrap it when time allows.

Had me one of these on my RT and this is a big, heavy box!

Do I dare go the whole way and fit these from Touratech ..... :D

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

BMW does have the smaller tail trunk.. which isn't obnoxiously large. It fits one helmet. Had one on the rental R1200R in Europe last year and never felt it was there (unlike the soft tail bag from BMW that I have for my US bike.. at speeds of 80MPH you can feel it a bit - it adds a bit of instability. Have to read the owners manual and see what the recommended max speed is for it. It only goes on for tours..)

BTW - as I mentioned I'm typically form over function, within some limits..
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

Have a ride down to Motobins at Surfleet, they stock every Hepco and Becker item for BM's.
I've got one of there racks (and top box) but mine fits onto the pannier frames in place of the original 'rack'. A rack on its own is available (for my 1150 at least) and it also has pillion grab handles on it......thinks it's about £130 ish.
Eagle6
Basic User

Post by Eagle6 »

Cheers trickytree.

Had a search and it only fits 12R up to 2010.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Eagle6 wrote:Cheers trickytree.

Had a search and it only fits 12R up to 2010.
FWIW: I suspect that's the last time their listings were updated. I've owned a 2007 and now a 2012 R1200R - there is no difference in the mounting of the rear rack/luggage carriers that I can see. They appear identical, and I installed a BMW rack off a 2013 R1200R on my 2007 R1200R not too long before I sold it. If the aftermarket rack uses the stock mounting points - my WAG would be it should fit.
Eagle6
Basic User

Post by Eagle6 »

Thanks Don, but I've got mounting kit on its way from Spain as we speak.
I'll post plenty of warning when it's fitted so you can avert your eyes. LOL

It's the perfect size for touring. Just come back from an 11 day 3,000 mile tour of Austria, Germany and Italy and that box was my only luggage. Perfect!
Eagle6
Basic User

Post by Eagle6 »

Times up Don!

Brackets arrived from Spain this am - 12 days from order so was getting worried as off to Scotland for 3 days next tuesday.

Made up a rough mounting plate as a base for the SHAD mounts and then just had to drill holes on plate to locate Tiger Explorer mount and then box mounted direct to TEX mount.

Results:
Not as bad as you expected Don?

I will make a new mounting plate when back from my jaunt and mount it another 2-3" forward.

From the front it's hardly noticeable, and certainly no more obtrusive than a big GIVI box.

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Well.. sorry, no, about as bad as expected. The square box just clashes with the flowing lines of the R1200R. Those look fine on GS bikes because the GS bikes are ugly on purpose. On an R1200R - just doesn't do it for me at all. And as I said - I tend to be a function over form guy, but even I have limits.
Kobe22
Basic User

Post by Kobe22 »

Man! How do you come up with these? Wish I'd known it in highschool! "Kobe I think you are ugly!" Oh, like a GS I'm ugly on purpose! Bwhahahahaha!

It's a very interesting concept - beauty is axiomatically utilitarian but nobody says the same about uglyness. Perhaps there's an even higher purpose to ugliness disclosed only to the initiated?! What were we talking about again? Oh cases yeah - I clipped a guard rail being stupid and ripped off my left stock case. Now I'm sitting here with a 700$ gulf opening between me and the Mosko's, those to be exact ( https://moskomoto.com/collections/motor ... annier-kit )