He's Back!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

He's Back!

Post by Karamazov »

Like a bad penny. :)

Hey all, just thought I'd say "hi". I'll be trading my R NineT in for a lovely 2014 R1200R Dark White on the 26th. Had fun with the 9T, but it just wasn't cutting it as an all-rounder. Started shopping for a replacement a few weeks ago. The 2016 R1200R was obviously a top contender, and in my local search for one, I came across a dealer with a Dark White on the floor (with only 400 miles on it). I assumed it was a demo - which I'm hesitant about buying - but apparently someone had just recently bought it, then returned it shortly after. Still has over 2 years on the warranty, the break-in service was completed, and (at my request) the dealer flushed the brake fluid. I added an OEM rear luggage rack, and will probably add system cases, but besides that, I'm not messing with this one. After a year and a half of modding and customizing an R NineT, I'm happy to get back on an R1200R and leave it bone stock :)

I'll post a pic or two when I take delivery. Glad to be back in your company.

- Nathan
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: He's Back!

Post by deilenberger »

Hey Nathan,

Good choice. I have a friend who owns one of each - one for his NJ house and one for his winter NC house. He'd thought about selling the R1200R in NJ, then he realized he can only ride the R-Nine-T for about 30 minutes before being in pain, so he decided to keep both. He claims not to notice much difference in performance/handling between the two, but I've also noticed he's astoundingly obtuse about such minor things.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

deilenberger wrote:Hey Nathan,

Good choice. I have a friend who owns one of each - one for his NJ house and one for his winter NC house. He'd thought about selling the R1200R in NJ, then he realized he can only ride the R-Nine-T for about 30 minutes before being in pain, so he decided to keep both. He claims not to notice much difference in performance/handling between the two, but I've also noticed he's astoundingly obtuse about such minor things.
I tried just about everything to make the 9T work. I'm nearly at 15k miles, and finally threw in the towel. The 9T is a modern bike that pays homage to some of the great boxer roadsters. The problem is, the bikes that it's emulating didn't just appear out of ether. They evolved. Engineering followed the needs and demands of the rider. The R1200R is a fine example of what happens when a bike evolves in conjunction with the desires of it's target market. The 9T didn't evolve out of anything. It's precisely what happens when a custom bike builder throws a tank, a headlight, and a pair of wheels onto an engine and calls it a bike. When I first saw it, I said "hey, that looks like a proper standard, built around a great engine." And guess what? It does in fact look like a proper standard, built around a great engine. That's as far as it got.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the bike. It's beautiful, and seemingly appeals (on an aesthetic level) to every man, woman, and child on the planet. I was proud to own one, and enjoyed customizing it. For a guy who rides 2000 miles a year, I'm sure it's fine. But, as Lost Rider and I both discovered, it doesn't cut the mustard for a serious rider.

I cannot wait to get my butt back in the saddle of an R1200R. Just a few things I'm excited about:

-Hard luggage - heck, any luggage, I've been touring with a Kriega backpack for a year and a half
-Center stand
-Heated grips
-Tubeless tires
-Stock R1200R suspension (can't believe I'm saying that, but yup)
-Blacked out forks, wheels, engine, and final drive
-Comfy ergos
-A windscreen
-Proper BMW turn signal buttons (I absolutely hate that they switched to the single button)
-Harley guys not caring about my bike or wanting to talk about it - they love the 9T
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

That's cool Nathan, welcome back. Makes me glad I didn't get swept up in the 9T frenzy at launch. Still waiting to try the RS though ;)
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

Catchina wrote:That's cool Nathan, welcome back. Makes me glad I didn't get swept up in the 9T frenzy at launch. Still waiting to try the RS though ;)
I don't regret buying, it was a nice diversion. But it'll be nice to be back on a trusty R1200R. I was very excited about the RS, and actually really loved it in pictures. For some reason, it totally underwhelmed when I got to sit on one. I had the complete opposite experience with the S1000XR - hated the pics and thought it was a nasty Multistrada wannabe, but loved it in person.

But I've got a thing for round headlights, so R1200R it is ;)
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Karamazov wrote:
Catchina wrote:
But I've got a thing for round headlights

haha its not just me! 8)
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Karamazov wrote:Like a bad penny. :)

Hey all, just thought I'd say "hi". I'll be trading my R NineT in for a lovely 2014 R1200R Dark White on the 26th. Had fun with the 9T, but it just wasn't cutting it as an all-rounder. Started shopping for a replacement a few weeks ago. The 2016 R1200R was obviously a top contender, and in my local search for one, I came across a dealer with a Dark White on the floor (with only 400 miles on it). I assumed it was a demo - which I'm hesitant about buying - but apparently someone had just recently bought it, then returned it shortly after. Still has over 2 years on the warranty, the break-in service was completed, and (at my request) the dealer flushed the brake fluid. I added an OEM rear luggage rack, and will probably add system cases, but besides that, I'm not messing with this one. After a year and a half of modding and customizing an R NineT, I'm happy to get back on an R1200R and leave it bone stock :)

I'll post a pic or two when I take delivery. Glad to be back in your company.

- Nathan
Nathan,

Welcome back! Mine is one that I will be keeping for quite some time. Love the dark white.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Exactly the same reason I'm on my second R1200R, after 96,000 miles on the first one. It does everything well, and does what I want a bike to do.

I loved the first one, and had no intention of selling it (went C2C2C on it just before I sold it..) but a good deal on one with 92,000 less miles on it came along. Figured I'd be able to still be riding an R1200R in another 7-8 years with the new one (although it does appear to be getting miles on it rather rapidly, haven't driven my car in over a month, and there was a little trip to introduce the new bike to the Cabot Trail....)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

Mods planned = 0
Actual mods = not 0

Oh well. Added some new mirrors (the more contemporary stock mirrors from the rest of the line-up) to replace the oval ones. Engine guards, of course - as well as the ABDECKRING. I also installed a blacked-out tail light, OEM tinted sport screen, and a luggage rack. En route are a blacked-out Arrow exhaust, LED turn signals, and some wheel striping. Then I'm done until next Spring when I add some color matched hard luggage.

It was a beautiful day for riding in Wisconsin. 60 degrees and sunny, and still some Fall color left. Not bad for November. With 2000+ miles of break-in complete, I'm still completely in love.

N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Karamazov wrote:Mods planned = 0
Actual mods = not 0

Oh well. Added some new mirrors (the more contemporary stock mirrors from the rest of the line-up) to replace the oval ones. Engine guards, of course - as well as the ABDECKRING. I also installed a blacked-out tail light, OEM tinted sport screen, and a luggage rack. En route are a blacked-out Arrow exhaust, LED turn signals, and some wheel striping. Then I'm done until next Spring when I add some color matched hard luggage.

It was a beautiful day for riding in Wisconsin. 60 degrees and sunny, and still some Fall color left. Not bad for November. With 2000+ miles of break-in complete, I'm still completely in love.

Great pics! I too, don't plan on any mods ... except I added engine guards (black on black) and throttlemeister thats IT!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

angellr wrote:
Great pics! I too, don't plan on any mods ... except I added engine guards (black on black) and throttlemeister thats IT!
I'm sure I'll find more to do during the winter ;) I put the LED turn signals on two days ago, and the exhaust has arrived and will go on this weekend - along with the wheel striping (I stole Lost's design, pic below). Good call on the throttle lock... I'm thinking about giving the Atlas a try: http://www.atlasthrottlelock.com/#

N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)