My clock stops when the ignition is off. Anyone else?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Re: My clock stops when the ignition is off. Anyone else?

Post by R12RnHouston »

Update. I disconnected and inspected the cable that plugs into the instrument cluster. The contacts looked absolutely new. The clock seemed to work for a few days but the fault returned. I took it to the dealer to have the instrument cluster control unit re-flashed. Again, the clock worked for a few days, and the fault has again returned.

My only option now seems to either live with it, or replace (>$1000) the instrument cluster.
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

Below is a link to a instrument cluster taken off a 2008 BMW R1200R. Might be an option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-BMW-R1200R-G ... ~8&vxp=mtr

Roger L
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

roger l wrote:Below is a link to a instrument cluster taken off a 2008 BMW R1200R. Might be an option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-BMW-R1200R-G ... ~8&vxp=mtr

Roger L
Hi Roger,

Just a heads up - I believe the cluster is tied to the engine control computer, mated for life so to speak, and once mated can't be used with another ECU - unless you replace both at the same time. That means this cluster is useful only for hard parts - I doubt if it would be plug-and-play with another bike. I found this out when I wanted to add ASC to my '07 R1200R. My ECU was too old (by about a month) to add the ASC, and BMW's suggested solution was to replace both the ECU and the instrument cluster with new ones. Needless to say that didn't happen. The 2012 came with ASC, so now I'm a happy camper.

Certainly worth checking with BMW or a dealer before bidding on a non-returnable item like this cluster. If Mike Figelski (of Beemer Boneyard) is here and listening, he also might have some info on that..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I'm having an odd instrument malfunction on the 2012.. when I shut off the bike - the remaining mileage display goes to "----" - after starting the bike and riding it a bit - it comes back with a number. I somehow suspect this is related to fuel-strip #2 - which showed EMPTY once a week or so ago when I knew it wasn't empty.. waiting on #2 to fail completely..
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

That's happened a time or two recently on my '07, which still has its original fuel strip.

As I understand it, the computation of mileage remaining is done by the ZFE, based on distance traveled and fuel level readings. The fuel strip turns off with the ignition. Because a correctly-operating bike will immediately display the mileage remaining on startup, the distance traveled and the mileage remaining figures must be retained in the ZFE during ignition-off times.

If that's so...how might a failing fuel strip contribute to the "---" display? Do you think the ZFE "tests" the fuel strip at ignition-on and is programmed to displays"---" if at ignition-on it "sees" a fuel strip that isn't responding correctly in that instant?
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

dbrick wrote:That's happened a time or two recently on my '07, which still has its original fuel strip.

As I understand it, the computation of mileage remaining is done by the ZFE, based on distance traveled and fuel level readings. The fuel strip turns off with the ignition. Because a correctly-operating bike will immediately display the mileage remaining on startup, the distance traveled and the mileage remaining figures must be retained in the ZFE during ignition-off times.

If that's so...how might a failing fuel strip contribute to the "---" display? Do you think the ZFE "tests" the fuel strip at ignition-on and is programmed to displays"---" if at ignition-on it "sees" a fuel strip that isn't responding correctly in that instant?
No idea David - but it only started doing this after one occurrence of a false out of fuel warning, so could be a coincidence, could be causal. When the strip next fully fails and I get a new one I guess I'll find out. :)
Gags
Basic User

Post by Gags »

Any news on this?
I seem to have the same issue on my F800ST. Clock stops when turning off the ignition. Wasn't sure first is it reset instead but seems to be like in your case...continue where it stopped.
Have not been at the dealer yet but would only expect them to suggest me to buy a new panel..they don't bother to fix things..just resell new parts.
8ball
Basic User

Post by 8ball »

OK here's the skinny on what I've learned..I bought a used cluster from ebay, plugged it into my bike and it worked perfectly..my dealer said he could reset the mileage. Well he couldn't as the cluster is married to the ecu and would not allow it. So if can you find a used cluster with mileage similar or lower than your bike you can use it, the one I got was high mileage and would detract from the value of my bike. A new cluster that has never linked itself to the ecu can be reflashed to your current mileage as they tell me that info is stored in the ecu and the cluster will be accepted by the ecu. So live with the fault or a higher mileage cluster in leu of the expensive new one if your inclined.