Tankbags?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

beetee
Basic User

Re: Tankbags?

Post by beetee »

Thanks Don, I think I'll go ahead and order one after making sure which one of their current tank rings is the correct one.
beetee
Basic User

Post by beetee »

I was at the BMW dealership last week getting my flange replaced and took a look at a 2012 and 2013 R12R. The gas cap is significantly different than my 2009 (I'm assuming the '07 is the same as an '09). My filler has no mounting screws visible from the top. After the filler cap is released and lifted the actual mounting screws appear underneath. On the 2 bikes I saw at the dealership the mounting screws go through the external ring around the actual filler cap and are visible from the top. If the BF22 mounting ring fits 2011-14, I don't see how it also could be used on an '09 given the difference in the screw locations and the screw pattern. I also called Givi and was told there was no ring available for an '09 R12R. Really too bad because the bag looks nice and Don's experience is good so far. Back to the drawing board.

Adam, you might want to check some more before you order the GIVI ring mounted bag for your '07.

Bill
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

beetee wrote:I was at the BMW dealership last week getting my flange replaced and took a look at a 2012 and 2013 R12R. The gas cap is significantly different than my 2009 (I'm assuming the '07 is the same as an '09). My filler has no mounting screws visible from the top. After the filler cap is released and lifted the actual mounting screws appear underneath. On the 2 bikes I saw at the dealership the mounting screws go through the external ring around the actual filler cap and are visible from the top. If the BF22 mounting ring fits 2011-14, I don't see how it also could be used on an '09 given the difference in the screw locations and the screw pattern. I also called Givi and was told there was no ring available for an '09 R12R. Really too bad because the bag looks nice and Don's experience is good so far. Back to the drawing board.

Adam, you might want to check some more before you order the GIVI ring mounted bag for your '07.

Bill
Bill,

Those were not the stock gas caps on the 2012 and 2013 bikes you saw. Up to the end (2014) - there are no exposed screws or holes in the flange around the gas cap on the original R1200R (hex or camhead). I believe they are modified caps that used another brand's quick-release tank bag mounting system.

My 2012 cap looked EXACTLY the same as the cap assembly on my 2007. No difference. The GIVI mount replaces the outer flange with one made by Givi, and fits the actual cap into their flange. It then uses the 4 screws under the cap itself that hold the stock flange to the tank for their flange. The original flange is put on the shelf. The cap is transferred from the original flange to the GIVI flange by removing two screws that hold the spring/hinge assembly - and installing it on the GIVI flange.

If you look at: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=16_0716

Part #1 is the flange (with the cap installed on it) - this is the part that is replaced by the GIVI flange after moving the cap from it to the GIVI flange.

If you click on the PN on REALOEM - it opens a page showing all the bikes this cap assembly is used on. It's a bunch, including GS, K, F, S-RR bikes. ALL the same assembly. And it shows this part# being used on R1200R's from 2006-2014. (K27 (R 1200 R) (11/2005 — 07/2014))

I have no idea who you spoke with at GIVI, but they are rather obviously misinformed (that's a kind way of saying they're talking out their ass.) Order the assembly they list for the GS - it's the exact same one (the one I ordered WAS listed on Twisted-Throttle's website for both the R and the GS..) No need for the drawing board.. ;)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
beetee
Basic User

Post by beetee »

Once again, Don, thanks for the info. I've pushed myself away from the drawing table , grabbed my wallet and ordered the case and a BF06 ring. Should be here in a few days. I also appreciate the website with the parts diagrams. Saved it away for future use. I'll update the thread once I have it installed.

Enjoy the weekend !

Bill
beetee
Basic User

Re: Tankbags? Update for a 2009 R12R

Post by beetee »

Well. I ordered the Givi bag and the BF06 tank ring. Unfortunately, it's a No Go !

The ring is designed to work with a cap whose spring assembly is held in place be a piece below which is attached with 2 screws as described by Don. I removed my cap assembly and the hinge mechanism is held in place by a press fitting and is not meant to be separated. There are no screws used and no way to mount the cap to the new ring. Not sure if the 2009 cap design was just for that year or possibly prior and some subsequent years. My bikes build date is 9/08 per the VIN.

So anyone interested in this type of Givi tank bag mount should remove their filler cap and verify the hinge mechanism is held in place by 2 screws.

Good luck !

Bill
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Interesting Bill, I can't recall how my '07 was held together, but they did originally list that same mount for the '07. Given the price of the cap assembly it's not worth getting a newer one. Mebbe one from BeemerBoneyard? Mike's a member here and rides an R1200R. If you described what you want bet he could come up with one (since it was also used on GS's..)

BTW - apparently *I* was talking out my ass.. sorry. :cry:
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
amr122
Lifer
Donating Member #: 824

Post by amr122 »

The BF22 tank ring also doesn't work on a 2007 R1200R. I couldn't quite tell what Bill meant about having the filler cap held on to the ring by 2 screws, but after ordering the BF22 ring and trying to install it, I realized _exactly_ what he meant. Unfortunately I guess the guy I spoke with at Givi was wrong, but the other guy Bill spoke with at Givi was correct. Oh well, at least Revzilla has a good return policy.

adam
Adam
2007 R1200R
amr122
Lifer
Donating Member #: 824

Post by amr122 »

I just realized that you can still make the BF22 ring work with my 2007 R1200R. While it is true that there are no screws holding the hinge of the filler cap onto the lid, the plastic piece holding it on has a flange on each side that you can push to slide the plastic piece off, then remove the hinge. Once you've done that, you have to remove the 4 screws from the underside of the filler lid which allows you to remove the plastic ring, then replace the metal bar at the hinge point with the new metal bar supplied by Givi. You can then re-assemble everything, screw the filler cap onto the Givi filler ring (as the GIvi instructions say) and then screw the Givi ring (with filler cap attached) to the tank.

It makes a lot more sense if you're looking at all the pieces; it's pretty easy to do.

adam
Adam
2007 R1200R