US based temporary insurance coverage for EU trip?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 952

US based temporary insurance coverage for EU trip?

Post by thepeacebullgrunt »

Hello back RR guys!
I finally recovered my forum password... it feel good!

By the way I am looking for some tips in finding a reliable insurance coverage for a two months trip in Europe....
I plan to buy an R1200R upon arrival then if possible complete & validate my insurance policy and "Boom!" hit the road.

Are you aware of any US based company proposing this?

What was your previous experience for those on this forum that are US based and toured in Europe?

btw my 2008 R1200R is now 110 000 miles and still feel kinda fresh.... same flawless gear box, same drive-shaft.
having bearings & cylinder rings replaced today we'll see how it might rejuvenate her a little.
Pain is Ignorance this is why it really hurt...
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: US based temporary insurance coverage for EU trip?

Post by dbrick »

Sounds like that'll be a great trip!

You might check with the German Auto Club ADAC; they offer green card (liability) coverage in short-term chunks. I don't know if property damage coverage is also offered.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

Motorcycleexpress.com also offers European insurance.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 952

Post by thepeacebullgrunt »

Thanks David and excuse this late follow-up but I was busy...
My plan is evolving so now I am looking forward to buy a low mileage used bike in France but secure it with this kind of US based temporary insurance as an American citizen visiting EU
I will call them but this morning someone told me that those insurance are designed for bikes that are registered in USA not in France.

As a dual citizen I also own a place there so I do have to talk with my French property insurer but the problem is that I am guessing they will try to "trap" me in a stiff yearly plan when I might just stay there and need the bike not even 6 months over the next 3 or 4 yrs.

I'll see anyway.... there might be a way to freeze at will under some inoperative vehicle French plan when bike is stored but overall motorcycle history in France specially large cylinders are pricey. Just to give you 20 yrs ago just a license was about the equivalent of 12 to $1300 to get and could take forever to obtain then the insurance without history would come on top of your head hammering you until you'r just broke enough to just spin your bike around the block. Reason why I am trying to use my dual status for this project to gain flexibility and cost efficiency.

I will call them Thanks again (The ADAC option too)
Pain is Ignorance this is why it really hurt...
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

Certainly the ME policies are aimed at US bikes, but I think ADAC's coverage is more broadly available. I don't know what they have other than green card liability coverage.

Good luck in finding a way. I've ridden three times in Europe (borrow, rent, shipping my own bike) and enjoyed it thoroughly each time.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R