Valve Cover/Powder Coating

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Valve Cover/Powder Coating

Post by Karamazov »

Good morning all!

My recently acquired 2014 R1200R had one previous owner for a couple of hundred miles - he apparently managed to drop it at some point, scuffing up one of the valve covers. It's not a huge deal to me - it's covered by the MaMo guards anyway - but I'm having a skid plate powder coated black and figured I might do the covers while I was at it.

Question:

Do I need to provide any special instructions to the powder coater? Specifically, my concern would be with the mating surface where it meets the engine. Can that all just be coated, no problem?

Many Thanks,
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Re: Valve Cover/Powder Coating

Post by R12RnHouston »

Karamazov wrote:Good morning all!

My recently acquired 2014 R1200R had one previous owner for a couple of hundred miles - he apparently managed to drop it at some point, scuffing up one of the valve covers. It's not a huge deal to me - it's covered by the MaMo guards anyway - but I'm having a skid plate powder coated black and figured I might do the covers while I was at it.

Question:

Do I need to provide any special instructions to the powder coater? Specifically, my concern would be with the mating surface where it meets the engine. Can that all just be coated, no problem?

Many Thanks,
You might touch base with Joe Finn ("Lost Rider") he had his powder coated I believe. Black would look amazing! Post before/after pictures please.
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

Usually you show the powder coating people the mating surfaces and they mask it with silicone type tape that will withstand the heat used during the process. The skid plate (UNDERRIDE PROTECTION plate in BMW talk) should be no problem - just coat it.
I wonder about coating the skid plate, powder coating is tough but the bottom of that skid plate takes a real beating on dirt and gravel roads. Mine is pretty torn up.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

Thanks Harry, that's kinda what I was thinking, but I'm not real familiar with the process, I wasn't sure if it could just get masked off like with paint.

I'm not too concerned about the durability of powder coat on the skid plate (but to be honest, I feel like it would hold up pretty good). I have an F800GS for really hairy stuff. The RR sees occasional gravel and dirt, but not enough where I'd be worried about it. And it is a skid plate after all, if it takes a beating, it's taking it on behalf of the engine and oil filter, so I'm cool with that. I got a cheap one (from an R1200GS) off Ebay for $30, and it's pretty fugly looking. No dents or deep scratches, but a coat of black will do it some good - and prevent it from standing out too much on my blacked out Dark White.

I'll post some pics when it's all done, I've found a local guy and will probably drop everything off this weekend.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

I had my skid plate (under ride protection) coated with truck bed liner material on the underside and the inside was powder coated. I wanted the engine side smooth in case clean-up became necessary, while the underside would resist scrapes and rock hits. The black color makes it less obvious that it is there since the engine is also black.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA