I'd Like to Sit on a BMW Comfort Seat

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

I'd Like to Sit on a BMW Comfort Seat

Post by dbrick »

I'm musing about a BMW comfort seat for my '07 R.

Do any of you in the Bay Area have a Hex- or Camhead R with a comfort seat I could come up and sit on?

Drop me an email: same user name at cruzio dot com

Thanks!

-David
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Re: I'd Like to Sit on a BMW Comfort Seat

Post by roger l »

David:
I have a comfort seat on my R1200R. I live in Ohio so that will not do you any good but I can tell you about it. I had the Standard seat on my 2008 R1200R when I bought it. It was not bad but it could be better. I tried to take the cover off it to work on the foam but the foam was part of the cover. I ended up buying the foam and the cover from a BMW comfort seat from one of the people on this forum and I reworked my seat myself. The foam needed EXTENSIVE rework to get it to fit me properly. The first thing I found was the sitting surface on the seat was very flat and had sharp corners where it went over the edge. The corners would dig into the bottom of my legs. The first thing I did was to cut the corners off the foam and smooth them off. I then cut out other places on the foam and added foam in other places to get the seat to fit me properly. I would make some changes then rough staple the cover back on and ride it to work for a few days to see how I liked it. It took a few weeks before it was just right. Now I have a all day seat.

I recently bought a 2013 R1200R and it had a low comfort seat on it. I took it off and put on my 2008 and sold it with the 2008. When I sat on the low comfort seat it felt real bad compared to the seat I customized.

If you a handy and want a project try to find someone who has had their comfort seat reworked by Sargent or others and get the original foam cover from them. I will caution you that a regular pneumatic staple gun will not drive staples into the nylon seat pan. I needed to get a pneumatic upholstery stapler and buy the stainless steel staples to get them to go into the nylon pan.

Good Luck
Roger L
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

Roger,

Thanks for your detailed comments. A fellow on the other R12R board has a high comfort seat to sell, and I’m musing about buying it.

My bike now wears a custom seat from Rich’s in Kingston WA; I rode there in 2011 to have the seat made. I saw how Rich did the work, using the original seat pan with a lot of new foam. Before getting to Rich, I tried low standard, standard, and high standard. Rich’s work is vastly superior to all of them: it’s quite comfortable, but I find it not terribly pleasing to the eye.

I’m fairly handy, and I’m sure I could do the work...but I don’t want to. Sounds like you approached it in just the right way, cutting and testing and repeating until the shape felt right.

The comfort seat looks good visually, but I haven’t actually sat on one. I’m hoping someone will pop out of the woodwork and offer me the opportunity to try theirs.

-David
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

dbrick wrote:Roger,

The comfort seat looks good visually, but I haven’t actually sat on one. I’m hoping someone will pop out of the woodwork and offer me the opportunity to try theirs.
Someone did, and I had a look-see and sit this morning. The Rich's seat I have is superior, and I'll keep using it.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
roger l

Post by roger l »

Dave:
Did the seat dig into your legs where it rolled over the edge? The low comfort seat did for me. I was amazed how much better my reworked seat felt over that seat. I have an Alaska Leather sheep skin pad on my seat and it is wonderful. I am glad that you tried one before you bought one and were not happy.

Roger L
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

roger l wrote:Dave:
Did the seat dig into your legs where it rolled over the edge? The low comfort seat did for me. I was amazed how much better my reworked seat felt over that seat. I have an Alaska Leather sheep skin pad on my seat and it is wonderful. I am glad that you tried one before you bought one and were not happy.
No, the edges were OK. The whole perch was smaller, and a bit lower than the Rich's seat. I imagine a tall comfort seat would be, you know, taller. But it'd still be a bit smaller, and when I sat down on my bike's seat after trying the CS my body said "this one."

Trying before buying was indeed a good tactic. ;)
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
motoracer8
Basic User

Post by motoracer8 »

I have a 08 R12R with the low comfort seat. I started with the standard seat that came with the bike, It was fair at best. I installed the low comfort seat and have no complaints. It's so much better than the OE seat that I haven't looked for anything else. I've used Corbin seats with success but sometimes fit can be a issue. Seats are like windshields, everyone has a opinion.