R12 Vacuum testing

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

johnvw
Basic User

R12 Vacuum testing

Post by johnvw »

My GS911 is indicating a vacuum leak on my BMW R1200R 2010, on RHS CYL 1. LTFT 1 is about 1.2 and STFT 1 is 4.2
I can not recall removing anything that may have interrupted a seal, but I did install an AF-xied. Previous GS911 data with BP installed did not indicate these figures.
Any thoughts on how and just were to check for vacuum leakage.
I have no noticeable idling issues or running in general.
Thanking you in advance.
Regards
John
Evan
Basic User

Re: R12 Vacuum testing

Post by Evan »

Is this directly in the pump?
johnvw
Basic User

Post by johnvw »

Evan,
I am not sure just what you mean in the pump
Regards
John
GTS29640

Post by GTS29640 »

John,

Have you tried to hook a vacuum gage up to see if the vacuum is abnormal or varies from side to side? This would at least verify if you have a leak or not.

I'm not sure what the LTFT should read with an AF-xied. I've had one installed for a while but don't have a GS-911 to check. Have you messed around with different settings to see if you can get the trims to change?

Gary
Gary

2007 R1200R
1995 HD FXD
johnvw
Basic User

Post by johnvw »

Thanks Gents,
I have balanced the Throttle twice with a Harmonizer. On each occasion there was minimal adjustment required to get the smiley face ( an indication that the balance was within 25mBar ). I was just outside this range both times. Final adjustment was 3-4 mBar. The idle is constant, I sprayed some wd40 around, no result and nothing was removed prior to fitting the AF-xied.
My biggest query is are the STFT and LTFT percentage values only and what Trim range is considered acceptable for the motorcycle.
I think I could check the vacuum one side at a time, which would still indicate a leak on Cyl 1 as per the GS911.

Regards
John
GTS29640

Post by GTS29640 »

If it were me and the bike is idling and running fine and it required minimal adjustment to balance the TB's I guess I wouldn't be overly concerned with a potential vacuum leak.

I don't know how far off zero is normal for the Trims on the R12 but it would seem as though the AF-xied is a variable thrown into this. I'm guessing but couldn't a number slightly on the positive side be a result of the AF-xied? It's telling the ECM things are a little lean so add a little more fuel? This is what it's supposed to do. What if you set the AF-xied to position 1 (lambda =1.0) then ride around for a while and recheck the trims?
Gary

2007 R1200R
1995 HD FXD
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

I think Gary is on to something...especially since you report no vacuum leak symptoms.

Were it my bike, I'd remove (or at least disconnect) the AF-xied, and test again. Perhaps it is affecting the fueling system in some manner not anticipated by the GS911.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
johnvw
Basic User

Post by johnvw »

Thanks Gents,
I would really like a response from the GS-911 gang in regard to if all the numbers (trim) are percentages and if STFT is a +ve or -ve duration of injection time.
I expected the LTFT to increase as the AF-xied is set to a richer mix. I can not get any information on the STFT as to why it is so high. All other PID`s look fine.
I may remove the AF-xied and reinstall the BP for comparison.
I might just lucky an have a tech read this thread.
Regards
John
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

John:
Try posting this information and the forum listed below. There are a few people there that have LOTS of knowledge on the BMW R1200 motor.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... p?ubb=cfrm

Roger L