I'm the New guy

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

BuiltNotBought
Basic User

I'm the New guy

Post by BuiltNotBought »

Greetings to all. My appoligies if there is a newcomers section I have not found yet, I'm just learning my way around here. I found myself the proud owner of an 08 R1200R as of last night and I'm looking forward to spending some good time in the saddle with this lovely machine.
Here she is

About 20,000miles on it, bought it with a couple common ailments that I will have to sort. Fuel strip and ABS both need addressed which I am hoping to look after over the winter. I'm not sure what seat that is (no label), but I'd like to get a stock seat for short rides (trade anyone for a windshield??). This seat is very comfortable, but its no points for style in my eye.

I've been a fan of the R1200R for years now and my first couple rides have not disappointed. All kinds of power! Still getting used to the feel of the shaft drive as that is a first for me, but really looking forward to enjoying this bike. :D
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: I'm the New guy

Post by mogu83 »

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll enjoy your "R".

I don't put form over function on my traveling bike, but that seat. :roll: It's likely comfy when your sitting on it, and the best news is when your on it you can't see it.
Gave my stock seat away to a forum member that was trading in a bike and wanted to keep the custom seat. Good luck finding one, reasonably priced ones show up on e-bay now and then.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
BuiltNotBought
Basic User

Post by BuiltNotBought »

Much appreciated. I'm hoping there's another generous soul out there willing to help me out on the seat situation. Hoping to trade a windshield someone for one!
I would actually trade someone seats except my kids find it very comfortable and to me their comfort is important factor in us enjoying the sport together. I'd like to keep this seat as a long haul "spare".
BuiltNotBought
Basic User

Post by BuiltNotBought »

Much thanks to Caol for helping me out with a seat!

Spent some time under the hood last night and manged to zap the fuel strip back to life with the old bbq lighter trick. ;)
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

BuiltNotBought wrote:Much thanks to Caol for helping me out with a seat!

Spent some time under the hood last night and manged to zap the fuel strip back to life with the old bbq lighter trick. ;)
Check the old posts. The fuel strip in now warranted for 12 years. I understand you just ride in and they put in a new one. I'm sure someone on here has had it done.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
BuiltNotBought
Basic User

Post by BuiltNotBought »

I will be talking to the dealer about that for sure. Thanks for the info.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Welcome to the forum!
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

Welcome, I've always liked that color. As for your seat, I may have a stock seat to trade if your interested in that. Send some photos and we can chat. What ABS issues are you experiencing? How many miles?
BuiltNotBought
Basic User

Post by BuiltNotBought »

Thanks but I do have a stock seat on the way already thanks to another generous member! I do still have the windshield available for sale if anyone is interested.

ABS light is on, my understanding is its the motor which I know can be rebuilt I'm going to dive into that this winter. Found a slice in the front tire as well, which is just as well, we just went from 65 and sunny on friday to snow squalls and cars in the ditch in 2 days time. I think I've got time :roll:
winkeldc
Basic User

Post by winkeldc »

Congrats on the bike! I had the ABS module rebuilt last year for my 08. For what it's worth, do check the code that is being thrown by the abs module because only a faulty motor can be rebuilt. If there is a pressure sensor error, that cannot be fixed at this point, or at least Module Masters can't. When I resinstalled the unit, I realized that one of my sensors is going bad, so that module may be on borrowed time. Or at least that's the diagnosis I got from some help from the GS911 forum after I was getting some weird pressure sensor fluctuations from one of the sensors. I haven't confirmed with my dealer yet. If the pressure sensors can be checked before fixing the motor, which I am not sure about because I didn't really look when mine was broken because I was so fixated on the rebuild, it might be worth looking at that first before spending the money on the rebuild.