JW Speaker LED Headlight Conversion

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

spithappens
Basic User

JW Speaker LED Headlight Conversion

Post by spithappens »

Anybody tried to convert existing headlight (I have a 2004 R12R) to a JW Speaker LED light?
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: JW Speaker LED Headlight Conversion

Post by dbrick »

I haven't heard of that headlight replacement.

Um...the R1150R's last year was 2005, I think, and the R1200R's first year was 2007. Are you posting on the right board?
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

Interesting site, they don't seem to have a model reference chart, not surprising. Which one were you thinking of using? 2006 was R1200r's first year.
spithappens
Basic User

Post by spithappens »

Uh, my typo... I meant to say 2007 R12R. Was going to use the Model 8700 Evolution 2.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

spithappens wrote:Uh, my typo... I meant to say 2007 R12R. Was going to use the Model 8700 Evolution 2.
I didn't see an adapter ring listed.. (lots of HD ones though..) any ideas on how you'll mount it into the standard headlight shell? One thing that possibly could cause a problem is the bulb monitoring system the R1200R has. You may want to clarify with them a return policy if that gives you problems. If the current drawn isn't high enough - it will trigger the bulb out warning light. If the current drawn is too high (very unlikely) it will be shut down by the ZFE (short circuit protection.)

If you have a problem with the bulb out warning - there are CAN-BUS system devices sold for car lights where people are switching from halogen/filament to LEDs. They're basically a resistor wired in parallel to the circuit. The resistor draws enough current to fool the monitoring system. Only downside - the resistors tend to get hot (just like a bulb will) so they need adequate venting or a good heat sink. Oh - and you won't save any electrons - the resistors use just as many as the regular bulb would.

Be very interested in how it works for you.. looks like a good upgrade if it can be done neatly.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

Saw these at the Bike Show just before chrimbo....interesting that they have brought out the tilting/cornering version. I'm pretty certain these are the same lights as Harley use and I know of a few folk that have got them and all say the same......they are real bright, proper night into day bright....but they all complained about huge unlit areas when cornering.
I'd certainly like to try one but prices this side of the pond are wayyyy to high for my pockets.