Brake Lever Adjustment

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Brake Lever Adjustment

Post by jkhomes »

My 2008 R1200R has 43,000 miles and is still killing it with my upgraded suspension, Cee Bailey windscreen, and modified handlebars for sport touring. I have test ridden some new bikes, but this bike is still really dialed in for me. I got a lot out of this board when I first purchased the bike used.

I like to keep the front brake lever adjusted all the way out with the thumb screw so that I get the most amount of braking early in the lever pull. The inside end of the thumbscrew is notched and rests against a metal fitting the is attached to the hydraulic system. My problem is that the screw keeps loosening, and even partway through a long ride it gets where I have to pull the brake almost all the way to my two knuckles that are still on the handlebar grip.

My first thought is to apply some thread lock, but I think the part may need to be replaced. The notches that rest on the hydraulic cylinder part are looking pretty worn. Any thoughts?
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
winkeldc
Basic User

Re: Brake Lever Adjustment

Post by winkeldc »

This is just a guess, but wouldn't the knotch that holds the brake lever in the position have to be worn for the screw to loosen while riding? I can't adjust mine without relieving the lever pressure by pushing the lever forward away from the knotch it rests in, so if you screw is able to self-adjust while riding, then I would suspect the knotch is indeed worn? And on second thought, mabye the issue is with the lever, because if you kept the setting on the largest, then wouldn't that be the only one affected so that the dial couldn't cycle through the different settings while in motion?

Just a guess though, maybe someone else will actually have some insight here.
jkhomes
Double Lifer

Post by jkhomes »

You are right Wink, the "knotchs" are definitely worn down. The thumb screw is integral to the brake lever, which is a $101.21 part. The parts guy at my BMW shop had the same idea as me, and I just applied some blue threadlocker. Hopefully it holds.

If anyone knows of a used brake lever for a 2008 R1200R, I am in the market!
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
jkhomes
Double Lifer

Post by jkhomes »

Thanks for the link to Beamer Boneyard. It got me thinking to check Wunderlich for some kind of modified lever, and it turns out they have brand new ones including a new spring and bushing for the same cost as a used one. The website says it is made by the same company that BMW contracts with.

I just got back from an 1,127 mile trip through Colorado and NM. Eight mountain passes in three days and tons of trailbreaking up and down. The blue threadlock held perfectly and I don't feel compelled to replace the lever at this point. I was at my dealer and noticed the new bikes have a different configuration that shouldn't wear out like mine did.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4