Gauges don't respond when ignition is tuned on.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Terry Kronlund
Basic User

Gauges don't respond when ignition is tuned on.

Post by Terry Kronlund »

I have a 2010 R1200R. A year ago after I installed a standard hight front shock my instruments seemed delayed when I turned on the ignition. Sometimes when going through the gears hard the engine would die and the instruments would go off. Just as I would get ready to panic, everything fired up again.
Then a few weeks ago I would go to start it the starter would click a couple times and then it would not turn over and the EWS light came on. Charging the battery did not help and I replaced it. No change. I noticed my tail light was not coming on and taped it. Everything started working. Replaced light bulb and that problem in gone. However, now the start up for the instruments is taking longer, sometimes over a min. Eventually they do come on and I can ride the bike normally. It is getting more serious and I am now afraid to ride it anywhere. Initially I thought maybe I damage some wires with the strap I used under the triple tree to stabilize the bike when I was installing the taller front shock. I can not find any damaged wires, but sometimes when I wiggle them it seems to affect the instrument gauges. Nothing consistent though. I have cleaned the battery terminals and loosened and retightens the ground going to the starter. Inspected all the wire terminals going to the ignition switch and disconnected all the added on electronics.
The most consistent thing is wiggling the key around, but not always. So right now if I turn the key on and let it sit for several seconds to min. it will finally get the gauges to work and the bike will start. Am I looking for a ground issue or most likely my ignition switch?
Terry Kronlund
Basic User

Re: Gauges don't respond when ignition is tuned on.

Post by Terry Kronlund »

Update. I went to the BMW service department to show them what my motorcycle was doing. They said they had not ever seen what mine was doing before and for me to leave it with them. I was hoping my issue was something they had seen before. I was not prepared to leave it with them. I decided I need to take all the electronics off of the R. I did decide to have BMW check it out and didn't want them to have to deal with the wiring I had done. Well I took my Parabellum fairing off and removed the headlight and got to the switch. I got the bike gauges to turn on and un-plug the 3 pin connector. Nothing happened, so I un-pluged the 2 pin connector. Gauges went off. So I thought that the 2 wires just complete a circuit. I put a test light and found one hot wire. So I took a jumper wire between the two and that completed the circuit and gauges came on immediately. Over and over again. The gauges hadn't worked like that for months. Bike starts and everything. Hooray, I finally found the problem. Ordered a new ignition and should all back to normal. Now the fun part of drilling out the tamperproof bolts!
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

Congratulations on the diagnosis. Good luck with your repair.
wabeers
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wabeers »

I had the same problem with my gauges not going on when I turned on the ignition key - It sometimes took a minute with the key in the on position before the gauges responded and I could start the bike. The most troubling think is when going 70 on the freeway the engine would stop running and the instrument panel would go blank and the emergency lights would not work. The bike would almost coast to a stop and the engine would fire up and it would not cut out for another 15,000 miles. The dealer suggested replacing the ignition switch and this solved the problem. The switch cost $125 and you have to remove the headlight to gain access to the ignition switch. It has been 4,000 miles since I replaced the ignition switch and the gauges come on as soon as I turn on the ignition key - just like they are supposed to do and the engine has not cut out while I'm riding the bike. This is a simple and cheap fix if your bike is having the same problems.

'08 R1200R with 82,000 miles
Bill Beers
2008 R1200R
Terry Kronlund
Basic User

Post by Terry Kronlund »

That is exactly what solved my problem also.