Fuel strip calibration

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Fuel strip calibration

Post by mogu83 »

I'm playing with the idea of re calibrating my fuel strip. Has anyone removed the fuel strip.
What was involved. It looks straight forward, but their's always a surprise.

Looking for someone that ACTUALLY did it.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
David R
Basic User

Re: Fuel strip calibration

Post by David R »

I took my 2012 R1200R out to zap it. Its not too hard. Keep everything clean. Don't know if its the same as an 07

I had to reach into the tank to unhook the top.

It does not need to come out to recalibrate. Its done by BMW with an electronic tool. They calibrate it at 1 gallon last I knew.

I read somewhere keep resetting your average speed and average fuel economy every time you fill up and it will calibrate its self.

Good luck.

More knowledgeable will come along about the software part.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

mogu83 wrote:I'm playing with the idea of re calibrating my fuel strip. Has anyone removed the fuel strip.
What was involved. It looks straight forward, but their's always a surprise.

Looking for someone that ACTUALLY did it.
Harry - due to the path the fuel strip takes in the R1200R tank- from down in one lobe of the tank, up across the stop then back down a bit into the other lobe - it will never respond in a linear fashion to the fuel level. Usual behavior is the fuel level display remains high for the first 80 or so miles of a tank, then it starts moving down. When you get to around 130 miles it starts moving faster (and the remaining mileage display also starts dropping rapidly) - and at 180 miles or so - it indicates empty and the light turns on. I feel it's only really useful for the last 100 miles or so - before that not much use at all.

YMMV (9? 10? fuel strips between 2 R1200R's..)

BTW - knocking on oak-grain formica(tm) - so far the "Eilenberger Modification" appears to be working. This was a collaboration between an excellent BMW tech and myself. My concern was that if you look down the gas filler hole with a maglite - you'll see the fuel strip passes directly under the hole. If you're filling up in a state without vapor recovery nozzles (almost every state except NJ and CA) - if you stick the nozzle in the hole as far as it goes - it's resting right on the fuel strip. Even if you don't put it in that far - the gasoline coming out of the nozzle is directed right at the fuel strip - with some velocity and temperature difference. That can't be good for the fuel strip.. so - I had suggested putting some sort of shield in place to deflect the nozzle/gas from directly hitting the strip. What the tech came up with is a piece of an oil bottle, cut to fit over the strip with some overlap, held in place with several tie-wraps through holes punched in the oil bottle piece. It's been there for over a year now, which pretty much sets a longevity record for fuel strips with me. Does it help? Dunno.. does it hurt anything - don't think so.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
winkeldc
Basic User

Post by winkeldc »

deilenberger wrote:What the tech came up with is a piece of an oil bottle, cut to fit over the strip with some overlap, held in place with several tie-wraps through holes punched in the oil bottle piece. It's been there for over a year now, which pretty much sets a longevity record for fuel strips with me. Does it help? Dunno.. does it hurt anything - don't think so.
That is interesting, I have never looked to see where the fuel strip was, but that makes sense. Next time mine fails, I may have to add that, if the design isn't patented or anything. Any chance you could get a pic through the fill hole?
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

winkeldc wrote:
deilenberger wrote:What the tech came up with is a piece of an oil bottle, cut to fit over the strip with some overlap, held in place with several tie-wraps through holes punched in the oil bottle piece. It's been there for over a year now, which pretty much sets a longevity record for fuel strips with me. Does it help? Dunno.. does it hurt anything - don't think so.
That is interesting, I have never looked to see where the fuel strip was, but that makes sense. Next time mine fails, I may have to add that, if the design isn't patented or anything. Any chance you could get a pic through the fill hole?
All it would show is a hole with some blue plastic at the bottom (I think it's blue.. never really bothered looking..) And no - patented isn't even pending. It's a common-sense modification.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!