Overheating?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Overheating?

Post by hjsbmw »

Has anyone ever overheated the R1200 engine? I was stuck in heavy interstate stop and go traffic due to an accident for 20-25 minutes or so in 85-90 degree outside temps. By the end of this my temp gauge was two notches above the first mark, still below the top mark, but the engine started sounding pretty strained, didn't take the gas well, and I could hear the valves quite clearly. Luckily, I got moving again right then. This was the first time my temp gauge went this far up. The highest I have seen it was one notch above the first mark. How high can the temp gauge go safely before I have to pull over and cut the engine? I thought between the two marks was okay, but the way my engine felt didn't make it seem that way. Thanks.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Overheating?

Post by deilenberger »

I've seen higher. When stuck in that sort of situation - what I do - is shut the engine off - and simply stop until a gap big enough to accelerate a bit opens in front of me (say 1-tractor/trailer length) - then I start it and accelerate briskly to the end of the gap and shut the engine off again. Sitting idling while waiting for traffic to move simply cooks the engine, no cooling from the fins and no cooling from the oil cooler.

It also makes me appreciate a good synthetic oil with a high ash point (temperature where the oil starts to burn..)

Had this sort of thing leaving Toronto heading toward Hamilton last week. Surprised me - since I figured leaving town around 3 PM should get me out before the rush hour started, but apparently rush hour starts early in Torono. Record high temps for September - it was in the low 90's. Mine got to one bar below the top mark. Engine sounds a bit noisier - but quieted right down when I got moving.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

My '11 typically runs mid scale up to 90f, stopped in traffic I've mirrored Don's technique, rush ahead and stop the engine. On my trip to SLC last July I came across US36 in Kansas temperature was 106f for hours upon end, the scale tipped up two additional bars above what I would call normal, mid bars. The engine operated with the temperature gauge indicator at least one bar above the mid scale every day for at least 5 hours.

As for the oil, I had changed the oil before leaving filling the crank case with Advantec Pro 15w-50, upon returning home I had covered 5,485 miles and sent a sample off to Blackstone labs to see how the oil held up under what I considered to be hotter than normal conditions. During the entire trip, daily temps were above 90 and I traveled at highway speed 65 to 80, averaging over 500 miles per day. I'll try and redact personal information from the entire report and publish it for folks to have a look at, for now here is the comments, as you can see, the TBN is still pretty high;

"We think you did fine taking the sample, and these results are something to be proud of. Universal averages show typical wear for this type of BMW motor with oil run a similar distance of ~5,400 miles. Compared to those, you've got metals reading low across the board, and that points to internal parts that are getting along quite well here at 38,485 total miles. The viscosity is in the expected range for a 15W/50, and no gas or dirt contamination was found. The TBN of 6.1 shows plenty of active additive left (1.0 is low), so try 7,000 miles next time. Nice Beemer!

I'm not trying to start an oil thread, but wanted to provide some information to those who are using the Advantec Pro 15w-50 and are worried about the oils ability to endure heating cycles.
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Not me. Also went to SLC, I generally run 600/900 mile days and going out there was no different. Used Rt20 across the middle - not a good idea, in Nebraska the road was bad and the selection of gas was worse. Temps were around 100 but the temp bars stayed usually one bar over mid point. After the rally I spent a week+ hitting the National Parks in Southern Utah so I did a lot of plodding along in the 30/25 MPH range in the 100 degree heat. Usually at one bar over.
I use Mobil1 MC and with 125,000 on the bike the trip was 7,000 miles long and it used about 250ml of oil.

A little topic drift:
I been across the great nothing (just kidding) on Rt2 in N Dakota,Rt90 in S Dakota, Rt20 in Nebraska, Rt36, Rt160 and Rt70 in Kansas and Rt412 in Oklahoma.
IMHO the fastest (read boring) way is Rt70 through Kansas, but also the easiest place to get a speeding award, it's really hard to keep the speed down. It's a little over 400 miles and I make it once in slightly over 4 hours. I did get caught just short of Kansas city but the State Trooper just pulled up alongside waved his finger at me (the no no sign) and pulled over the Mercedes I was following.
My favorite is Rt36 (who could pass up the largest ball of twine in Cacker) for road surface, gas availability and things to look at as you roll along.
Another interesting way across is Rt160. Pick it up in Missouri, across Southern Kansas, Colorado, right pass Four Corners and ends in north central Arizona. The MC press touts Rt50 as being the loneliest road, well IMHO it don't come close to the thousand miles of Rt160 from Missouri to Arizona.

Sorry about the drift, waiting for the lawn to dry so I can cut it :-"
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Patch
Lifer
Donating Member #: 975

Post by Patch »

I've just recently experiencing overheating on my '11. When on a longer ride (600-1000 miles), even stopping for a red light causes the indicator to climb higher than I've ever had prior. This happens now even when its only in the 70's. If I miss the light and have to wait 2 cycles the indicator climbs to one shy of the top line. Certainly on highway holdups I have shut off the motor, but this shouldn't be happening at an extended red light in such temps.
I have just over 90k on my R and this has only begun happening this past summer season.
2011 R1200 R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Patch wrote:I've just recently experiencing overheating on my '11. When on a longer ride (600-1000 miles), even stopping for a red light causes the indicator to climb higher than I've ever had prior. This happens now even when its only in the 70's. If I miss the light and have to wait 2 cycles the indicator climbs to one shy of the top line. Certainly on highway holdups I have shut off the motor, but this shouldn't be happening at an extended red light in such temps.
I have just over 90k on my R and this has only begun happening this past summer season.
Patch - there is a thermostat on the oil line going to the oil cooler. If you're overheating that easily something is wrong, and since it's a simple system, it's either the pump, the thermostat or the radiator fins are packed tight with crud. I'd hookup my GS-911 and see what the actual engine and cylinder head temperatures are.. if they're over 220F - chances are something is amiss.

Aside from replacement, I don't know of any technique to test the thermostat (I believe it's a bypass thermostat - directing the oil back to the sump if it doesn't need cooling - so just removing it won't work.)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Patch
Lifer
Donating Member #: 975

Post by Patch »

Thanks Don ... I'll look at the temps, as I know the fins are clean.
2011 R1200 R
eburr
Basic User

Post by eburr »

I too have experienced overheating of my prior r1150rt on that damned section of highway from Buffalo to Toronto (the traffic in the summer is almost always terrible in the summer), and hell yes the valves get noisy when they hit the top of the register. Pulled over, let it cool off and all was good afterwards. If yours is frequently spiking at traffic lights, I suggest changing oil and filter, and using a decent quality synthetic oil before going much father. Also make sure engine, cooling fins are very clean. You could have a constricted filter and burned/thickened oil.