Clicking

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

winkeldc
Basic User

Clicking

Post by winkeldc »

After getting the rear end sorted, I've noticed a slight clicking noise coming from the front at slow speeds. It matches the revolution of the tire, is faint but will go away when the front breaks are applied. I don't pressure wash the bike, so I haven't been suspecting the bearing, but could it be the front bearings? Would a worn bearings noise go away when breaking? Just wondering if I'm looking in the wrong place.

After having the rear crown bearing go, I'm thinking I should start going through everything this winter. I just don't have the heart to trade this bike in yet. Don had posted a great checklist somewhere that I printed off and can't find back, but I have that to work from!

Which brings up the second part of this question. I can only find oem or all balls bearing kits. Anyone know the dimension of the front bearings on the 2008 era model? And last question, anyone replace the fuel lines as a maintenance item? 10 years of ethynol must be taking it's toll. I was going to buy some fuel lines and new quick connects but the OEM lines look fitted and preshaped, ie, expensive compared to $20 worth of fuel injection rated lines.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Clicking

Post by mogu83 »

I had brake pads do that (clicking) on another bike, I cleaned the pads and rotor with brake cleaner and the noise went away. I have a 2007 with over 100K, lots of questionable gas passed through those lines and so far no evident problems.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
winkeldc
Basic User

Re: Clicking

Post by winkeldc »

Thanks. I'll pull brake pads and clean them and see if that helps. I wasn't overly worried about the fuel lines, but I have a 2005 tractor that I had to replace all the lines on because of cracking. It got me thinking about the ones on the bike. I am just trying to think of things that will leave me stranded again.

I think the rotor is catching one of the brake pads enough to shift the pad on the pin. The clicking is the pad hitting the pin. All the pads have some leeway and move some when the brakes are not actuated. I am storing a 2013 r1200r and noticed the caliper is a bit different. The pin is thicker and is threaded. Those pads don't move at all, although those might be BMW OEM still. I switched to ebc awhile ago on my 2008.