Transmission and final drive oil

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Transmission and final drive oil

Post by hjsbmw »

Is the recommendation for the R1200R still to use a synthetic 75/140 in the transmission and a 75/90 in the final drive? Are there additional letter designations one has to look out for? Can't remember. Something GL? Also, is it still 180ml for the final drive and up to where the thread starts for the transmission? Thanks.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
winkeldc
Basic User

Re: Transmission and final drive oil

Post by winkeldc »

It is still 180 ml for the final drive amount and I did up to the threads on the transmission. The rep-rom indicated it could be slightly under the threads if I remember correctly (maybe someone can chime in on that point, my disk is out in the shop and its freaking cold). The dealer I went to to get the crown bearing issue resolved last fall recommended only using the BMW SAF-XO gear oil for the final drive. I have no idea if it makes a difference, but I trust the tech, he's been helping me out since I bought the bike in 08. And since it was a quart bottle to do the initial and first change fills, I figured what the heck, it's not that much more expensive. He said any modern synthetic gear oil in the gear box is okay, but he recommended 70w90 to me. I'll have to leave the 75w140 recommendation for others with more experience, I can only pass on what the tech told me about oils.

EDIT: I meant 75w90, not 70w90. Sorry.
Newportcycle
Basic User

Re: Transmission and final drive oil

Post by Newportcycle »

I run Mobil 1 75w-90 in both final drive and transmission, no issues, things run fine and no particles noticed during oil changes. There are some schools of thought that you should only use gear oil's not designed for "LS" limited slip applications as this oil may over time leak through your seals. I however have not found this to be the case. If you really concerned about it, just purchase your oil at the dealer and move on, life's too short.