Really Virginia/DC No riders today? 28 F that bad?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Kobe22
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Really Virginia/DC No riders today? 28 F that bad?

Post by Kobe22 »

So riding to work today, first time I've needed all my weapons to fend off the cold btw - insoles, gloves, jacket liners.
I notice hmmm so 95 is pretty bereft of riders - maybe they are all on 495 - Get to 495 hmm, where are all the riders?
Well perhaps I'll catch up with them on the Toll-Road - nope!
Really Virginia? (Woodbridge, Falls Church, Reston) 28 F too cold - for all the souped-up GS's I ride with in the summer?
Come on guys! Who's buying all the heated gear then? And when exactly are they using them?
I was perfectly comfortable - both personally and operationally. Bike felt like it had plenty of traction, sure I took 10-15 off in the corners
Knowing how long it takes the rubber to come to temperature under the conditions but there really is no reason to winterize these bikes
This early! What's your excuse? :?: Or am I just stupid? :-k
mogu83
Lifer

Re: Really Virginia/DC No riders today? 28 F that bad?

Post by mogu83 »

So you ride to work every day ?
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

16 degrees this morning in Philly. Good luck.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

Two years ago coming back from Moonshine Lunch Run I ran 14 degrees from St. Clarisville Ohio to the New York state line, warmed up to mid 30's by the time I got to Maine, not terribly uncomfortable at all for this Polar Bear, but black ice on off/on ramps was a pucker experience a time or two. Spring and fall riding around here get temps into the mid 20's, its the black ice in the shadow's which makes me call it quits for a season.

Ride on my brother, cold, rain, sleet or snow ........ do not be deterred, for you will only be here once, and nothing is sadder than for a man to lay on his death bed and regret things not done.
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Newportcycle wrote: Ride on my brother, cold, rain, sleet or snow ........ do not be deterred, for you will only be here once, and nothing is sadder than for a man to lay on his death bed and regret things not done.
Thing is, all bravado aside,the man that rides on through sleet and snow will likely end up in a bed. Possibly a hospital bed and maybe his death bed many years before his time was up, now that's really sad. There comes a time where common sense should overrule testosterone.
Naturally IMHO
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Kobe22
Basic User

Post by Kobe22 »

The event horizon for me IS when there's any precipitation BELOW freezing. I'm talking about days like today; which also started in the low 20's. The roads were bone dry and with my Gerbings gear no concern whatsoever of frost-bite and/or operational impairment.

I've experienced hesitation starting that caused me concern. This one evening I left the office and discovered it was 16 F outside but after a throttle snap she purred right up. The point being with the right equipment I may run afoul of the bikes limits long before I put me self in any real danger. So no mogu83 I'm not completely without common sense and with my diet I read the least of my worries is testosterone-inspired bravura